I know this thread is old, but people, hang in there. Cervical disc replacements have been going on for over 11 years in Europe now, and aetna regards them as medically necessary now:
http://www.aetna.com/cpb/medical/data/500_599/0591.html

If you're still hurting and haven't gone through fusions, look into this.

i HAVE HAD HERNIATED DISCS IN NECK. THINKING OF GETTING CORTISONE SHOTS, I'VE HAD PLENTY OF SURGERYS ON ALL PARTS OF BODY. FIGURE I WILL TRY A SIMPLE ROUTE, I WISH YOU THE BEST ON YOUR PROBLEM.....

i had a car accident, some careless woman crash her car on the back of mine, so my neck suffer a mayor injury. i have 3 hernias and they're pressuring my bone marrow. i have lost mobility of my left arm and leg, almost zero sensitivity on my fingers, i have no other option than surgery. some kind of implants, remove the hernias, and hopefully recover some mobility of my arm and leg.
im taking hughe ammounts of corticoids but the doctors are worried about kidneys and my heart.

hi

i'm from Romania. i've been diagnose with hernia c5-c6 in may this year...but i had the pains from 2002...7 years//// o.O all the time i took ketoprofen to calm down the pains.....in may ,the pains get worse so i've done an rmn( is called here)...so i gone to the private clinic in bucharest, where we got the best neurochirurgien" in the country....he's 36 years old...and he operate kids only 24 hours old on the brain...he's great!sergiu stoica is his name....anyway.....he send me to do an elecromiograme...to see in what way the nerve(in the arms )is affected ...he prescribe me antiinflamatory medicine such flamexin, midocalm...and he told me to wait a little...i talk with him and he explain me that at the end, the disc will never cure...no matter what i take.....the medicine is only antiinflamatory.....in nothing to cure....so at the end we finish with problems in the liver, stomach, cose the medicine we take...and all of you in this situation must know is a lot af medicine we must take!111so i decide to go for an operation....the disc is taken out and repalce with an protese....the operation takes 2 hours and in hospital i have to stay 48 hours...then 2 month is bad, cose that collar i have to wear, then 6 months fizioteraphy and the rest....by next summer, i'll be back on the beach 8) so i hope :-P ...any way.....my words are: why take so many medication when at the end we finish in surgery?.....good luck to you all...and hugs from Romania!

I had been injured at work, herniated 4 discs in my neck and tore my shoulder. Herniated c3 thru c7. This has been about 3 and a half years. c3/c4 and c4/c5 healed so it takes time but has possibilities. C5/c6 had prestige disc replacement to see if taking pressure off c6/c7 would allow it to heal but it hasnt and the fda only approves this at one level in the neck. I am hoping the fda will approve the m6 disc replacement used in europe about 3 years now with shock abdorption and motion,

I have been suffering with this since 3/3/09. I am in constant pain, 24/7. I am currently taking neurontin and steroid shots. THESE ARE NOT WORKING. I am in so much pain. I have pain in both arms and wrists as well. I am retired military and they are sending me to John Hopkins in Baltimore. The Pain Clinic. I'm about to schedule my 3rd shot and know it's not going to work. I'm at the point that I am desperate for pain relief. Any suggestions?

TJ

Hi Folks, I woke up on a Saturday morning in late Nov 09 with incredible pain in my neck, upper back and shoulder on the left side of my body. I also had a terrible headache.
I have been training in gyms for over 20 years and had a few injuries here and there, but nothing like this pain.
Thinking I'd pull something, I went and got a Chinese massage. This gave me some relieve for an hour or so.
I took a couple of strong pain killers that night and went to bed hoping it would ease by Monday so I could do some light training.
I woke up on Sunday with the same pain, however through the day I started to notice tingling in my left thumb and index finger. Like hitting your funny bone hard, so there is some pain or 'pressure' feeling with it. I knew straight away that this was nerve, not soft tissue. I saw my Osteo on Mon, Wed and Fri that week. The next week I went to the doctor and organised a CT scan on my neck. I gave it another week of the off chance that it would start to ease.
This didn't happen. So I had the CT scan, which has confirmed the following : "Left posterolateral/foraminal C6/7 disc protrusion compresses the exiting left C7 nerve".
It also notes that I have disc/osteophytic complex causing canal narrowing in C3/C4, C4/C5 and cord flattening in C5/C6.

So what now.... Its now about 5 weeks since this occurred. I've been asked to take it easy for the next 4 weeks, with a course (5 days) of Corico Steroids.

I still have the numbness in the 2 fingers. I also have the more stabbing pains in the upper back, and in the neck, particularly when I move my head to the right and down. As for the gym, I went from benching 50 kilo dumbells to just managing a couple of 20 kilo reps, significantly reduced strength in my left tri-cep and left side of my back. Basically I cannot train, for fear of causing other injuries elsewhere.

I have spoken to 3 people with similar issues as mine who have all had the surgery. All 3 waited 12 months to 2 years, on various pain medications, treatments etc etc, and they all wished they had the surgery earlier.

I agree with the previous persons comment. Why the hell keep taking pain medication after pain medication. It isn't going to fix the problem. The pain is telling you it ain't right. I you keep taking pain meds you only mask the problem as well as put your body under additional strain.
I am also of the understanding that it take at least 1 year for a disk to fix itself, which would require it to have complete rest (no pressure etc). We know this is near impossible because it is impossible to fully rest it, unless you laid flat on your back for a year.......

I am already researching surgeons and have no issues with going down the surgery path. There is no way I am going to carry on with this. I have 3 kids under the age of 8 and another on the way. I'm 43 years old and don't give up easily. Do the research on surgeons and move forward from there, particularly if you have been suffering for some considerable time.

40 yo - c6c7 herniation. Pinched c7 (left side). OMH this is bad. pain unbelievable in my back/shoulder/arm - vision is blurry, head pounding.

Thought I could work through this with various treatments.... Can not handle the F*CKING pain any longer - must have surgery. Honestly, I don't with this on my worst enemy - this is bad stuff. :'(

I have played every spots in the world been injured many times, nothing compares to this - this life consuming. Never been depressed in my life... will not do it but I have actually thought of killing my self - again will no do that but it has entered my mind... WOW this is bad.

Don't mess with any type of back injury that leads to tingling or numbness. Hubby fell 4 weeks ago and Ortho kept saying that it was a bruised sciatica nerve. Took MRI of hip and pelvis and xrays. Showed nothing, not even a bruise. a few days later he couldn't pee, kept trying and it would take him forever to pee, plus numbness and in the penis and butt. Went to ER twice, as they kept saying it was the drugs he was taking for the pain. Well it happened again, and finally the ER doc had a lumbar MRI done and contacted a neurosurgeon immed. Neurosurgeon said that his disc is so herniated that he will have to have surgery on Tuesday. If he has a numbing and can't pee he is to get to the ER within 1/2 hour or he runs the risk of losing complete bladder function for life. Meaning he would were a bag forever. Don't mess with the tingling and numbness. Some nerves don't come back.

I just discovered this thread trying to find help for my c-5 and c-6. I injured my neck a long time ago. Started going to Dr.
's, chiropractors, physical therapists, yoga, massage therapists, ect. My spine surgeon says c5 is overlapping c6 and wants to do surgery. Many people told me if I do I could end up paralyzed. Some say if I do, I will have metal plates in my neck with screws, which the Dr. confirmed but my physical therapist says not to do this because it will eventually cause my other discs to blow out because they will now be unstable. I am too scared now to do the surgery but I wake up every single morning with very numb hands and the pains I keep getting in my lower head and neck are getting worse. I don't need to medicate yet thank god but what should one do when you go to the professionals and they all give you conflicting information? Am I a human in great need that loving people want to help or the opportunity to make a small fortune? Somehow this should be illegal.

hi my name is sarath and Iam very much concerned to see your post since I am also experiencing exactly the same problem for the past
three months and as your case I am also advised to go for surgery
and Iam a bit worried to go for surgery. Now I would like to know as
what happened to your case now , I am anxious to hear from you the
subsequent results and medications.Please respond immediately
about the details of your case which may be helpful for me as my left
hand already weakened significantly.

Alf I have a c6 c7 injury that has effected my right tricept, would you have time to talk to me about your symptoms and your surgery results.  ***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use
I appreciate any time you can make to speak with me.

I have the same thing ...in my C6 C7 however I find I cant hold a cup - turn door knobs and the pain will locate mainly in my elbow area and run down my arms to my fingers. Im presently waiting for a specalist...is there anything that I can do to relieve the pain.

Hi, I also was in a car accident. I have the same disc problems. I just had an epidoral about 2months ago. What the docotors dont tell you that the success rate is only 30%. My pain is so bad its blinding. Two days ago I seeked another opinion and seen a new Pain management Dr. He said that the epidoral shot did more damage, He explaned to me in detail how it is done and it is putting more pressure on the pinched nerve. Also I was put to sleep when the procedure was done. He said that you are not to be put under ever when receiving an epidoral in that area because it is way to close to the spinal cord.

Hi I got the same thing but I got 3 hernias c4-c5 and c7 I went to see a doctor he studied in france and he toll me that I can get cure just by swiming every day he let me know that at the beginig I was gonna get worst but that don't quit swiming he toll me so I hope this is going to help you.....god bless you