I went to the gyno’s office yesterday for my regular check up. Well, it wasn’t just the regular check up, I got a bit scared because I experienced some abnormalities like strange discharge and somew bleeding after intercourse that I have never had before. So, she made another appointment to do a pap test and she is suspecting some cervical polyps. Can anybody tell me more about these polyps. I have never heard of them before. Thx!!!!

Hello! Polyps are reddish growths that can be found at the cervical canal in your vagina. They can vary in size. They are usually small and benign, but they should be removed and checked for cancer (just in case). Polyps may be shed on its own during intercourse or menstruation, but sometimes a surgical procedure is necessary. This procedure is done by a special instrument, called polyp forceps. The instrument is used to grasp the base of the polyp stem, and the polyp is plucked with a gentle, twisting motion. There may be some bleeding. Cervical polyps may grow in the future from different areas of the cervix, usually not from the original site. Sometimes, cervical polyps can cause problems with fertility.

how can we prevent the grow of the polyps?

Some doctors and authors believe that polyps cannot be prevented because it is not exactly known what causes them.

However, cervical polyps usually appear after chronic inflammations and infection. It is also thought that polyps show up when there is an increase in the levels of estrogen, which is a female hormone.

It is advised for women to wear cotton underwear in order to avoid accumulation of the heat and moisture down there. Moistured and warm atmospheres make a good home for all sorts of bacteria, fungi and yeast. Another thing you should avoid is having sex with multiple partners and unprotected because this makes you more prone to catching a sexually transmitted disease.

Once polyps are removed, they rarely get back but it is advised to have regular pelvic exams with your gynecologist.
Tell me, have you been found polyps or anybody from your surrounding? You shouldn’t worry. Cervical polyps are tissue growths and they rarely become cancer. But they need to be removed, so that they wouldn’t cause additional problems.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask. I’d be happy to help you if possible!

Best Regards
Lori