Does HPV always cause warts? Is it possible that someone is infected with HPV but do not have warts? I recently had papa smear done and my doctor wants me to do it again because he suspects on HPV. I had no symptoms. My friend had HPV but I remember that she had small warts in her genital area.

No, HPV does not always cause warts. HPV is often a 'silent' infection. Genital warts are one symptom of HPV infection, but there is a different type of which doesn’t develop warts. For women, the majority of HPV infections affect the cells of the cervix. This infection can be either active or inactive, so with an inactive infection, the cells appear normal under a microscope and the woman may never know she was infected. But, with an active infection, changes can be seen in the cervical cells under a microscope