my partner has just told me he has chlamydia in the eye but test for his genitals are clear, could he still pass it on to me, and where could he of caught this?

You should be asking him these questions.  He's the best authority to answer.

If you want some uninformed guesses...   1) He could have had someone's semen shoot into his eye...

2) He could have fingered an infected partner and then rubbed his eye.

3) He could have borrowed someone's eye drops of tissue paper that contained the germ..

4) He could have borrowed a pair of sunglasses from someone who had a case of the disease and was "indescrete" where they put theiir glasses, etc.

so its not always the case of infidelity then as i trust my partner 100% and i know i haven't cheated. Could i catch it other than in my eye tho?

Yes, you can catch this.  He needs treatment, antibiotics.  He still has chlamydia in his body.  If he touches his eyes or even tear drops and then you, you could catch it.

It used to be a leading cause of blindness.  It can happen touching someones eyes, sharing eye drops, anything that touches the eyes.  It doesn't have to be infidelity.

Ask him where he may have caught it.

He has had antibiotics for the infection in the eye which has cleared it up, he says the doctor said he could have caught it in a jacuzzi/pool, we have been living in Cyprus for 6 months and have been in and out of pools/jacuzzi, would this really be the case though? That's where he believes it came from.

A jacuzzi or pool?  I can't say for certain.  Do they treat the water?  

More likely it was sharing a wet towel or something.

I won't question the doctor though.  Glad he's been treated.  Good luck.