I am going crazy living with a throat problem. Have seen my neurologist (have a progressive disability), my primary doctor, and a speech therapist (for a barium swallow test). I am awaiting referral to an ENT; but that is likely to be weeks away. Since the beginning to this year, I have felt nasal drainage 24/7, which seems to collect in my throat. I see no signs of infection, just saliva about the thickness of airplane glue. And every time I eat, the situation gets worse. Most of the time, I have no trouble swallowing food, but the drainage increases. I cannot swallow it or cough it up.

My primary doctor recommended nasal spray and allergy meds, which were of some help initially. But each version creates more complications.
Cough medicine and drops do not help either. The swallow tests were inconclusive. I was able to swallow the banana and drink, then felt the symptoms on the way home because eating triggers the process. As things stand, the problem is constant with an occasional sensation of gagging. I am trying to drink fluids and am eating whatever foods cause less of a problem. Yet I am have almost no appetite. This is barely tolerable, especially when added to my neurologic problems (which this may be part of).

I am posting here just to see if others have encountered anything similar and to see what worked for others. I will plead with the ENT doctor that this is a major discomfort when I see him/her. But I am not likely to get the opportunity real soon. The paperwork is still in process, I was told this morning. Any feedback will be appreciated.

--- Joe ---

Hey. I am kinda experiencing the same problem and was wondering what your diagnosis was if you ever got to the ENT. For the past 4-5 months I have randomly and regularly gotten sore throats that were so bad at times that I couldn't sleep. I figured it was nothing but lately I have been starting to worry. It is super uncomfortable to even swallow my own saliva, let alone food. I made a doctor's appointment for Monday and I am kinda nervous. What was your verdict?

I am experiencing a similar problem. It hurts every time I swallow - my own saliva, food, or drink. I am eating very little as a result. There is no sign of infection or redness in the back of my throat. I have no other symptoms - i.e. fever, coughing. But the pain is so uncomfortable that it wakes me up multiple times a night. Did either of you discover what was causing your discomfort?

Sounds like a food allergy that is creating the muscus.