I have been dealing with a "mess" the last couple of months. I am prone to getting ingrown hairs in my bikini area and inner thighs. Since I lost weight, they have almost went away completely with just getting one every once in a while. A couple of months ago I notice a bump on my bikini line and just figured it was an ingrown hair. It did fill with pus and I used a needle to get it out. This has went on since late Dec/early Jan. It would get better and then worse so I finally showed it to my ob/gyn when I went for my yearly pap and he cut it open a little and no pus came out just blood. He ordered me Cipro and said he'd check me in two wks and if it wasn't any better he would lance it or something. So I went back and he just looked at it and ordered me another round of Cipro and said to stop shaving. I don't shave anymore and haven't for years instead, ...I use a pair of clippers and never shave my hair to the skin and found that helped eliminate the shave bumps and ingrown hairs as well. Anyway in the following weeks to come the place wouldn't ooze anymore and it grew in size and became big and puffy and painful. I went to my family doctor and showed him and he said he was going to send me to a general surgeon and he ordered me another antibiotic! The appointment with the surgeon wasn't for five days! I could hardly walk or sit and had to wear pajama pants because of the pain!! So a few days before the Doc appt., my sister who is a nurse looked at it and we did hot compresses and finally she stuck it with a needle and got it to drain. This was so very painful but it went down and did relieve the pain some. When I went to the surgeon he looked at it and said do hot compresses alot and when it comes to a head, call and they'd take care of it. I wasn't satisfied with that so I went back to my ob/gyn the same day and he looked at and took a swab of it and sent it to the lab. A few days later I got the bad new that it was MRSA!!! Now I am on two antibiotics and diflucan. I also do hot compresses and sitz baths several times a day and I clean it with alcohol and after that dries I put bactroban on it and cover it with a sterile 2x2 gauze. It's better. alot smaller but I can press on it and pus still bubbles out of like three different holes. I am guessing that is where the doctor cut it and the other two are probably where my sis stuck the needles. I don't know. I have one more round of antibiotics after today and then I'll be done but I am sure that this is far from over!! I don't understand how a pimple or bump or whatever can turn to MRSA or is it MRSA to start off with?? I don't know how I got this. It is very upsetting to me. I am afraid my family members will get it although I have always been very clean and a hand washing freak because I am an ultrasound tech and have worked in a hospital. I am even more so conscience of disinfecting everything and washing my hands...like borderline OCD since this has happened!! Anybody with any comments or suggestions, feel free to reply. Thanks for taking the time to read this. I feel alone in this mess.

Wvgal,
MRSA can live as a part of normal skin flora without causing any problems. It's possible you had MRSA on the skin, and when your skin was punctured/laced MRSA came into the skin and infected hair follicle. This is a typical start of a staph infection. MRSA can also live in the nose...

Staph (MRSA) is usually transmitted by skin-to-skin contact from other (usually infected) person, or by shared clothes...

In the laboratory they probably made an antibiotic susceptibility test to see which antibiotics are effective in your case. If you're getting right antibiotic, you should be cured in a reasonable time.

I'm a guy and have had MRSA infections for a couple of years. It started in 2009 and again in 2011 and 2012 and now, again in 2013. I didn't know it was MRSA until I went in on Jan 31st with an infected hair folicle on my leg that grew to the size of a stack of silver dollars. Now, I have it again on my right wrist and on my right pinky. Come to think of it, the infections have always tended to be on the right side. On the 31st the doctor lanced it and drained it. Back in 2009, the boil was on my tailbone and grew to the size of a wallet. In 2011, a surgeon had to drain two boils between the crotch and my genitals; I've found that the cutting goes well enough but the swabbing feels like someone going after you with a dull saw --- for 15-30 minutes --- very painful. In 2009, the symptoms went away after a month of drainage; I still have a lump in that spot though. The leg wound is still healing and is black and blue though not tender at all. The current boils on my skin are similar to the leg when it started out but have responded to lancing and cleaning with sanitizer. I noticed that they itch something awful on the first day, which encourages scratching --- that's when the boil grows. I suggest applying steroids initially with sanitizer, wrapping in bandage and let it alone. If if gets p***y, pop in, clean it and bandage it. I used epsom salt washings on the leg, which the doctor said brought the poison to the surface to drain. The wrist boil started at the point where my long underwear rubbed my wrist so watch friction points carefully. I will go to the doctor in a few days if I don't see immediate improvement. I was on antibiotics for the leg boil for a month so I want to see if my immune system responds well. The one thing I noticed about MRSA is that it doesn't produce puss at first. The wrist is different from the leg boil: it was very p***y from the beginning, which shows an immune response lacking with MRSA. So, these may be simple infections, which I have always been prone to my whole life. That's the trouble with being a fair-haired redhead.

Hello I have the same issue however I have had this in the past. I have had surgery a few times and it still comes back. I have taken Bactrim as my antibiotic and is the only one that works. It is really painful and causes much pain and high temp. Yes I think that it is already MRSA when you think it is an ingrown hair.

I currently have the same exact issue going on except I have not been diagnosed with mrsa ive seen 3 obgyns and 4 family doctors ive taken cipro bactrim and something else nothing ever works completely it may go away and return anywhwere btw 1wk-6mos ive had it for about 10 years now smh

If you are an ultrasound tech, I would check the roller ball end of the machine that you use for ultrasounds for blood clots in the leg. One was not sterile when I went to the hospital and unbeknownst to me hadn't been sterilized. The next day I woke up and a line of staph boils were all in a row along the very same path on my inner thigh that the roller had been. I had no idea and thought that they were spider bites. I made an appnt. with my physician who cultured what had turned into abccesses and they were MRSA.

We should careful even we are in hospital using ultrasound machine
,Really need to take care of those.

Your website is?

I have had MRSA in the groin area. I was prescribed Bactrim. Now I have an ingrown hair, now I am worried since it's irritated and inflamed. I will be going to see my doctor.

MRSA is no joke! I feel the same way. I have had it in the groin area. Now I have a ingrown hair that is irritated and inflamed. Maybe mildly infected. Time to go to the doctor. I am glad I have a strong immune system. When I had it in my groin area at about my waist line it was very deep. I am glad it did not go any further than it did. I had no signs of sickness, only discomfort and mild pain due to standing and walking because of where the infection was.

I feel your pain. I did a Remodel at SPU Gymnasium that turned into moving lockers for a month. After 23 yrs without ever any complaint, was suddenly covered with sores. Hot water turned skin to blisters within a minute, then top layer of skin just wiped off leaving deep open sores. I mentioned it, wore long sleeve shirts since that Change Order job, told don't come back. Someone would drop off my tools, cancelled all my contracts. They get me infected with several forms of media. Girls. Boys, Juvenile,... Even now at 5 a.m. spent all night again with ingrown whiskers 3 layers deep. Scratch off top layer & more & thicker layer underneath. Plucking, ripping, hot steam, lotions, neosporin by the case. Face whiskers all lay flat in the skin, nothing helps. Not noticeable hardly to others even close up, but I feel them all & OCD hrs nightly. Only other area is backs of my arms now from elbow to shoulder. Can feel masses of hair underneath, like a bad zit but brown & no head. I just cut em open & nothing really there. But all the hairs are under the surface. Not as bad as was when could feel guitar strings under skin of hair cables. Sliced & diced to straight arm, bicep side of elbow. It's all non stop nightmare of BS. It put me in ICU for 3 days, no memory of it at all. Reached my brain. Neurologist ever since. Multiple problems from girls volleyball lockers to basketball locker rooms & up to gymnastics lockers moving all around B.P. The gift that keeps on giving. It's for life. Never even owned a long sleeve shirt before, always shirtless cool care of body, now don't even have a short sleeve shirt. Did the clean shave last week. Mistake, worse it's even been. I grow a full beard in 2 weeks. Now just 2 beards under the visible one, driving me insane. Fired, $32k ICU, & This for rest of my freaking life...