Hi, I just found out that my ex boyfriend (I broke up with him three years ago) died of overdosing. I am in shock! When I thought it couldn’t be worse, I found out that he was HIV positive. I had some fevers and rashes recently, and I’m so scared that I’m having symptoms of infection. Could I be HIV positive?

You have to do HIV test to be shore. Your ex boyfriend died from overdosing and not from HIV, so he could became infected any time. I really hope it happened after you broke up. Fevers and rashes are indeed some symptoms of HIV infection, but it doesn’t mean that this is the cause in your case. It might be something else. Until you find out if you’re infected, please don’t sleep with anyone, just in case. Besides fever and rash, there are other symptoms of HIV infection, like oral ulcers, arthralgia, malaise, pharyngitis, weight loss, lymphadenopathy, myalgia and aseptic meningitis. The treatment is about reducing the number of infected cells and preserving HIV-1-specific immune responses. I hope your test will be negative. Good luck!