Hello

I'm new here and hoping this is the right place. Cosmetic surgery and products both did not seem like the right place, and neither did other sections of the forum. My skin is insanely red around the cheeks with strange little bumps all over. I am 23 and have had it a few years now, these symptoms, though they do come and go. It is certainly frustrating as I notice that makeup and certain cosmetic products seem to make whatever I have much worse on occasion.

At this point, I am ripe for some answers in my mind. How do I deal with this if it really is rosacea, and what if it isn't?

Wren

This sounds like rosacea could indeed be a possibility for you. People who have rosacea often have red looking skin, like they have been sunburned, and pimples are also possible. Essentially, in addition to those pimples and seeing visible blood vessels, people with rosacea may look, without makeup, like they have just left a steamy workout or a sauna session, but all the time. If you suspect you have it, I would either make an appointment directly with a dermatologist or alternatively check in with your primary care doc and ask for a referral. You can't solve it on your own.

From your description, you COULD have rosacea. You need to get diagnosed properly of course to rule out other conditions and get treatment but in the meantime you may like to know that certain things aggravate rosacea and check whether this plays out in your case. Spicy foods, hot weather, sun exposure, alcohol, and certain medications like hypertension meds can all make rosacea worse. If this sounds familiar to you that's a step in the diagnostic process I say. Also, have you got a family history of rosacea by any chance?

Oh, and I forgot to add that some people with rosacea get hardened skin on the nose that looks very distinct. You may want to actually just Google rosacea and look for pictures, to see whether it matches what your skin looks like. There are mild and severe cases of course. Look at them all.

Your doctor will just diagnose it by ruling out other skin conditions that look different, by the way, there are no specific tests for rosacea but as a layperson you can only suspect and not really come to any conclusions of course. Because different skin conditions can look very alike.

When you get diagnosed you can get access to prescription drugs used to treat rosacea. Often these include antibiotics, but also acne meds if that doesn't work, There are also surgeries available for severe cases. BUT some of the most important things are things you can actually do yourself. Limiting sun exposure, always wearing a good SPF, using cosmetics that don't aggravate the skin, avoiding triggers that you know to be triggers, these are all part of what you can do to keep rosacea in check if you do have it.

Hope that helps and you get this sorted.

There's a regular on the forums here who's got rosacea, she's called crazy about Pink. I'm sure she'll pop in at some point and will give you some tips and can probably tell whether you have rosacea or not. Just saying my mum thought she had rosacea for the longest time after randomly reading that really red cheeks = rosacea. That isn't necessarily the case, of course, 'cause red cheeks can be caused by lots of things. Different approaches will work depending on what you actually have so I'm with other people that you should see your GP or something just to get it looked over. Then you will know for sure or will know you have something else...

"There's a regular on the forums here who's got rosacea, she's called crazy about Pink." Does this mean it can't be healed? I'm also new to this forum, and seems like I have rosacea, as well. I know I should see a dermatologist but can a cosmetician help me?

Celebrity

For everyone wondering whether they could have rosacea, I just wanted to let you all know that there are actually four different types that come with different symptoms. Knowing about this may help you get more of an idea of what you have.

1. Facial redness, visible blood vessels and facial "flushing".

2. Sensitive skin and breakouts.

3. Facial redness, swelling, edema, and the thickened skin around the nose already mentioned here.

4. Symptoms around the eyes.

Subtype 1 is the most common and is also the only one most people are really aware of existing. I don't want this post to get too long and rambly so I'll continue about treatment in the next post.

Rosie

Celebrity
I would not have a cosmetologist help you until you know for certain what is going on with your skin. Seeing a derm might be a pain and expensive, but will help you in the long run. Once you do have your diagnosis, some of the treatments you may pursue can be carried out by a cosmetologist, yes.

Management options for rosacea include:

- Prescription medications, as already mentioned
- Staying out of the sun, as already mentioned
- Laser therapy, light therapy, microdermabrasion, that kind of thing
- Altering your eating habits to best avoid flare-ups
- Seeking skincare products that help rather than aggravate rosacea. There are a few lines especially for people with rosacea.

Hope that helps,

Rosie

Celebrity

Eucerin is a good place to start for instance, as products with fragrances and alcohol definitely cause more irritation. Mario Badescu is very expensive but has a special skincare line for people with rosacea. There was one other that I can't remember now.

I know I'm not PINK, and I don't have rosacea, but I do have an aunt with it and due to my own sensitive skin was considering the possibility that I have it too for a while so I am fairly well-read about it. I hope everyone wondering if they have rosacea figures it out!

Rosie

Thanks everyone, especially Rosie for the thorough information that will really help me. I am wondering if there are people who successfully manage their rosacea without ever going to a dermatologist, or at least not spending money on expensive treatments that I am quite sure are not covered by insurance? This is the part that worries me.

Chris, as far as I know it is not curable as such but rosacea symptoms do come and go, and can be managed. I would be interested in trying out a different skincare set up and changing my diet to see if that could make any difference, before I go medical. Perhaps someone can advise me on this.

Thanks!

Wren

It seems that I am late to the party and don't have much to add, since Rosie already did quite a thorough job at covering the basics. I did want to add a few medications you could discuss with your doctor that have not been mentioned so far, though. Here they are:

• Azeleic acid creams for those who have bumpy skin.
  • Salicylic acid, which is good for people of many skin types, as a gentle and anti-inflammatory exfoliant for people with rosacea who are also prone to breakouts.
  • Mirvaso gel for that redness.
  • Accutane, for some people.
  • In some cases beta blockers, traditionally used in people with heart conditions and high blood pressure, again in people with rosacea suffering from severe facial redness. It works by constricting the vessels that cause this redness.

Ah, there you are! I hadn't seen you around in a while and was wondering if you were alright? Regarding what I said above about redness not necessarily meaning rosacea for everyone I was wondering if you could perhaps do a quick overview of rosacea vs not rosacea. There's people who are gonna want to self diagnose this galore and it might be helpful if you could explain how rosacea differs from just redness and stuff. Like what other symptoms should you definitely have and are there any sensory things as well that could point to it, meaning beyond the visual things alone but stuff you feel? If that makes sense?