Celebrity

Hey,

As regular posters here know, I'm into natural skincare and browse the web for information on how to complement my current regime all the time. I stumbled on a mention of flour masks last night. Some people apparently use rice flour and others gram flour to benefit their skin. My curiosity meter is going off right now! Here I am, then! 

If you've used a flour face mask before or even do it regularly, can you tell me how you use it, what kind of flour you use for it, and what it has done for your skin?

Rosie

Celebrity

And of course, since we are already here, if you have other DIY facial mask recipes to share, please do so here as well. :)

Rosie

Hi Rosie,

I have to admit that I have never used a flour mask myself, and that I would have to do some serious research before exposing my skin to it, as I can have nasty flare ups in reaction to the most unexpected things. I know that you, too, have sensitive skin. 

With those small disclaimers though, I also know that rice flour masks are rather a "thing" at the moment and that many, many, many people who use them are ecstatic about them. The trick is to mix rice flour with a little water and lemon juice, then to leave it on your skin for 15 minutes. Regular users say that their face becomes silky soft, and also that it clears acne and even acne scars in formation. 

All in all, this is a very exciting idea, and to anyone with normal or acne prone skin, it seems like a wonderful thing to try out. Would it dry your face, though? That I don't know.

What I have heard is that gram flour masks are used to whiten the skin. You use cream, honey, and lemon juice as well. Because honey is good for killing bacteria too, I can imagine that it will be beneficial also for treating acne problems. This is not something I have used, yet, but I plan to. My skin tone is quite uneven these days and if flour masks can help me with that then I think that attempting these masks at home is a good idea. I have not heard they are specifically for anything else though.

I have notice that the popular face mask recipes being circulated around the internet appear in cycles. Right now it is flour masks, tomorrow it will be something else. The best thing to do is discover what is good for your skin at this point in time, and of course your skincare needs evolve with time and depending on your lifestyle and climate. Now that I am developing some wrinkles, I have been using mashed bananas as a face mask because I heard they will decrease lines. I don't know if it works yet but the banana masks do make my skin feel nice and soft.

I have also tried milk (which of course contains lactic acid) and oats before. Vinegar too when I had some blemishes during my last pregnancy, but that was a fail and I will never put anything that acidic on my face again.

I have also heard good things about egg masks for the face but it does not sound too nice to me.

Yeah, just mash up an avocado and distribute it over the surface of your skin. You should leave it on for around 20 minutes, then cleanse your face and follow up with a nice natural toner, like chamomile tea. Together, these really help your skin feel calm and clear. Avocado also has anti age properties which is a real boost. Just don't eat it after it has been on your face, LOL. Omega 3 supplements do make your skin better also.

Tried it two days ago and it worked pretty nicely for me. Not saying it will do anything revolutionary for my skin, but my skin did feel nice and soft after and that's a good thing. I think I will try this again. It is cheaper than going for a facial at a spa after all and it is easy to do yourself at home, so that is a good thing. Many things can feed your skin though, so I am not going to stick to only flour masks. Experiment a little and you will find out what works best for your particular face!

I'm LOVING grounded coffee masks. I'm working long hours in an airconditioned environment and my skin looks terrible sometimes, dull, grey and fatigued. After I read about ground coffee masks, I decided to make one and my skin really perked up after that first coffee mask so I just kept on using them. Whenever I feel my skin needs some extra love I make one, it's very nice and easy and offers instant results. Caffeine isn't just for the brain but for the skin too!!!