My husband 6months ago went through suboxone treatment for vicodin addiction. Everything went great. He also started using lexapro. Suboxone was stopped and he conitued lexapro. About a month ago he injured himself and was in so much pain he was given vicodin. The first couple of days he let me give him the vicodin. So i could monitor it. Then after that the bottle disappeared. I've caught him filling up the refills and confronted he had lame excuses which I don't believe. he went back to his psychiatrist the other day to get a refill for Lexapro. But in the meantime he had been telling me how much better he felt while he was on suboxone. He told me doctor prescribed a different antidepressant (cymbalta). I decided to pick up his prescription since I had to pick up my sons antibiotic as well. One of the prescriptions was suboxone. I think he was hooked on vicodin again and trying to get off. I confronted him and he said that it is for coming off of lexapro and starting cymbalta. I think hes full of it. I feel like such an id**t. Has anyone ever heard of this?

He is definitely 100% full of it. You have to make some consequences if you want him to seek treatment, he is definitely in a deep opiate addiction. Hiding it and BS are the cornerstones of being a an addict. This man needs to be in REAL treatment, not on suboxone or any other opiate. NA, AA, inpatient substance abuse clinic, whatever it is, he needs to get it ASAP and for a LONG time. It's the only way he'll get off this, no drug can cure or even quell addiction. As for you, I suggest you start going to Al-Anon or some other addict codependency group. The other members can give you strength, and help make vital decisions that keep you and your children safe. If not for yourself, do it for them. Children with addict parents almost always have lasting negative affects on their mental health.

Yes, he may be full of it, but honestly, he is probably embarrassed. I know how important honesty is, I was in a very similar situation, but he's not sneaking vicodin or worse yet, heroin. He is probably ashamed that he became hooked on the vicodin again, but is trying to fix the situation without upsettinng you. There are other strong pain killers that are non-narcotics, and his doctor should have given him something else. No matter how long it has been (and 6 months is really not a long time in recovery-time) by using, prescription or not, it is almost impossible to stop. Also, if he has been on suboxone, and then started taking vicodin, he would have withdrawals regardless if he was hooked. Suboxone does not bypass the dope-sick withdrawals of vicodin, it is almost like a replacement. If you stop suboxone suddenly you will get sick. If you take suboxone and then take an opiate and then stop, you will get even sicker. I am on suboxone and have been for over a year. When I went to the dentist to get teeth pulled, they gave me percocets. I talked to my dr who told me to stop my suboxone, and pick it up right where I left off when I was done. I finished the percs on a Friday, and could not refill my suboxone until Monday, and boy, was that weekend rough! Because he took the vicodins before the opiates were completely out of his system, it would make him very sick. So before you get mad, think- would you rather him sneak suboxone, which is to kick a habit, or sneak drugs? Lying is not cool either way, but if you talk to him, you might be able to understand his side a little.

And as a side note- Lexapro is a VERY strong medication, which does have withdrawal symptoms. It is not an opiate, so suboxone would not do anything, but it is still a med that needs to be tapered especially in high doses. HOpe this helps.!

Hey worried wife , well I want to begin by saying I'm in the same exact situation my husband was a heroin addict for a couple of years n then he went to a rehab n got hoocked on suboxone , he took ir for 4 years n I used to monitor his medication all the time , but one day he decided to stop bc of the financial problem we went through n to be honest I was very happy for the step he took , n a year later I find suboxone in the bathroom floor n I confronted him with the truth n he was full of it as well. I tried talking to him n help him but he refused my help which made me a little upset until one day I found out the he sold my gold in order to get his Medecation , so I knew I had a big problem ,, I offered my help again but he refused . Not until recently I found out that he went backon heroin .... I seriously didn't know what to do he is back in rehab and his doctor gave him lexepro now for depression n I'm scared it has a big dependency as well I'm tired of chasing him n check the money I'm so tired of the lieing n all that , I need help as well . I wanted to share this just to let u know your not the only one and I feel you . God bless for wt ur doing n for being patient .

To anyone reading this currently: Suboxone is ten times stronger than morphine and can cause withdrawals equal to it that can and WILL last the better part of 2 MONTHS! I wish I were kidding, but here I am at day 25 with full blown W/D symptoms, awake at 4 am. Tread lightly on sub's guys. I'm considering getting back on OC to reduce the time frame. This is no miracle drug. With a $600 a month price tag and that kind of shake out time, I'd rather have a gun to my head. At least I'd know when the suffering would stop.