Hi, my daughter had a food poisoning due to cross contamination. I heard many times about it, but I never knew how it happens. What is wrong with the food when it causes a poisoning?

Hi, cross contamination of food is result of transferring harmful microorganisms from a raw food to ready-to eat food. It often leads to poisoning, like in your daughter’s case. Cross contamination often happens on salad and sandwiches, because they’re not cooked any further. You can prevent it with few simple things: cover all the food you have, keep raw meat separate from other foods, after cutting raw foods clean the knife before you use it for ready-to eat food. Harmful bacteria doesn’t have to transfer from one food to another, it can pass from our clothes or hands on food and then multiple. That’s why it’s so important to keep your kitchen and dishes clean. However, it doesn’t mean that your daughter got sick at home. She could eat a sandwich in a fast-food restaurant and get infected.