Hey pet lovers. I found a lot of interesting topics in here. Since I have a dog as well, I want to ask you a few questions. So, here we go. I have Chihuahua, actually this dog is from my ex – girlfriend. She left me three months ago, and she left her little Ilma at my home. She is seven months old, and I really love her. She was feeding her with canned food, and just with canned food. But, I have heard a lot of positive things about raw food diet, and I was wondering how to put my dog on a raw food diet? Is this hard or not?

Thanks in advance. 

Well, this is one interesting situation. Please, don’t get me wrong :) Chihuahua is one very little dog, but it doesn’t mean that she can’t be on raw food. I support your decision in this case, but before you do this, you should consult your vet about it. Every dog can’t follow raw food diet, and you should know this. If your dog can be on this diet, my recommendation is – start off slow. The biggest mistake that new pet owners make is to add too many and too much variety too soon. And, there are no results about this at all. So, start slowly. Pick one of the most important protein source, and feed your dog with it about week or two. Again, it depends on your dog. I recommend you to start with chicken, because this one is the most digestible protein source, and it is not expensive at all. Also, it is really easy to get. Later, you can experiment with other protein sources as well. Good luck! 

Hey there. I am really sorry to hear this :/ This is really ugly situation. I don’t know, if I were you, I would not keep this dog, because it would remind me on someone who left me :) But, that is just me, and you are just lovely :)

About your dog, I am not sure that you should put your Chihuahua on raw food diet. I am for it, but your dog seems really weak and skinny for some diet program. I do agree that this is the best option, but I am a little bit skeptical when it comes about your Chihuahua. Consult your vet, that is my suggestion. 

Hi. It's not hard. Putting your dog on a raw food diet is the best idea ever. I am feeding my dog this way and he is now 100 % healthy and happy. :) 

But I also was not feeding him according to raw food diet from the beginning. When I got my lab I was feeding him with canned foods. I have used 2 or 3 brands that were most popular at that time. 

And when I started feeding him with raw food, you could easily notice the difference. He was much more energetic and his immune system got better. I love raw feeding. 

It’s not hard at all. It’s as easy as it can be. As long as you have a food processor and a supermarket in your neighborhood.

It’s important that you go buy foods once in every two days since raw food is very perishable. That’s why the food must be fresh. 

And just find some recipes for raw food diets online, you can find them on this forum, we already discussed that topic earlier. 

And I totally agree with Dog Whisperer, you should start with only one protein source such as chicken or turkey. You can add more of them later on.

Hey there. I don’t have a dog, but my sister has one. It was pretty much hard process for her and for her dog, because she started to feed her lovely Retriever with raw food when she was almost five years old. It was very “painful” process for both of them, because she was refusing to eat raw food. She was used on Whiskas and during this process, she was sooooo skinny. But, after two months, she accepted to eat this food, and very soon she was much healthier. You need to go slowly in this process, easy. I am pretty sure that everything is going to be just fine. 

It should be a piece of cake if you start at the early age.

Millie Cat I am familiar with your sister’s situation. I decided to put my dog on raw food diet when he was about 4 years old. Till then, I was feeding him with dry and canned food only. He loved it but my vet suggested I should put him on a healthy diet because of some health problems he had back then. 

That’s when I decided to put him on a raw food diet. Back then, he was already used to canned foods and it was very hard for him to change to raw foods, but eventually we made it. 

Just like others said, transition from canned to raw food is a good choice but it must be taken slowly. My advice to you is to increase every day’s amount of raw food you give to your dog until she’s ready to go full raw.

You can count yourself lucky as you have “light-weight” dog and you can prepare a lot of delicious meals for her. I know men hate being in the kitchen, but trust me, it will worth your time. Your Ilma will be much healthier than before and you will be proud on yourself. Pick only the fresh food and you won’t have any trouble feeding her raw.

The others already told you everything you need to know. Switch slowly towards raw food diet and you won’t have any trouble feeding her that way.

As for feeding your puppy raw, I can suggest that you start with only one protein source (maybe the chicken is the best, unless she is allergic to it) and balance calcium and phosphorus.

There are some general rules which promote feeding your puppy three times a day with about three percentage of his anticipated adult body weight. I can agree with them and my final advice is that you don’t forget the supplements (probiotics, fish oil and bovine colostrum) for stronger immune system.