Hello. My sister has been diagnosed with endometriosis and she told me that she has been prescribed some medications to treat it. Then my sister-in-law tells me there is no cure for endometriosis. How is this possible? How come that my sister has been prescribed these drugs if not for treating the condition?

Well, your sister-in-law is right. There is no cure for endometriosis. You didn’t specify what kind of drugs your sister has been prescribed, so I can’t tell you what are these for. I can tell you though that endometrosis is usually effectively managed, however, through the use of alternative therapies, medications, and surgery. Common medical therapies include the use of low estrogen/high progesterone oral contraceptives and contraceptives like Depo Provera®. Gonadotropin releasing hormones (GnRH) are also used frequently in the treatment of Endometriosis; The problem with these hormones is that there are significant side effects exist and these agents can only be used on a short-term basis. No medications are curative and only provide symptomatic relief. Pain relievers range from over-the-counter remedies such as non-steroidal anti-inflammatories to powerful narcotics. Other therapies that are used are alternative measures like immunotherapy, diet, Traditional Chinese Medicine, massage therapy, nutrition, acupuncture, homeopathic remedies, exercise regimens and herbal therapies.

My doctor put me on a stronger birth control that gives you a period only every 3 months (Seasonique). The hormones can shrink the growths, and since the endometrial lining only builds up every 3 months that's less opportunity for them to grow. Within a month my horrible daily pain was gone. I feel some pain sometimes when I have to pee or pressure is put over my pelvis, but I only have bad pain during my period. Eventually I'll get them removed surgically when I'm ready to have kids. I'm holding off until then because my doc told me if I get the growths removed they can just come back.
Hope that helps!

Has anyone tried Endovan to treat Endometreiosis? I was on for a week before discovering I was pregnant, I stopped taking it because I didnt' want to take any chances it would affect my pregnancy.

amy1225- hi I am currently taking endovan for my endometriosis. I am a stage four. I have gone through one bottle which has ninety in it and the first week you take one twice daily the next week you take two twice daily so I havent been on it long enough to really see the effects. I hope it can help with the pain at least.

short- endometriosis is not curable. but the drs say "treatment" it means what they think will help. from my experiences and I have had endo for many years and over thirteen surgeries, every "treatment" option comes with numerous side effects. Not all drs know as much as they should about endo the best way you can get the right "treatment" is to do research. endo can be fatal most drs wont admit to it. they dont experience it so they dont know.