Hello, I have recently been diagnosed with IBS for the following symptoms: Bloating, fatigue, and abdominal pain. I now also have leg pains and pelvic pain. Could i have been misdiagnosed and have endometriosis? I am 22 years old and have no children.

It is possible you are misdiagnosed, it is also possible that you do have IBS.

Endo causes intense period pain, like intense enough that you cannot move.

How are your periods? If you want a second opinion, you could see an OBGYN.

It is a possibility you have both. I am 20 years old and have been diagnosed with both. Both are very painful in their own ways. One thing about both of them is that they can both flare up at the same time which makes things very complicated. I was 17 when I was diagnosed with Endo and 19 when I was diagnosed with IBS.

a couple of years ago i was also originally mis-diagnosed as having IBS when in fact i really had endometriosis...the diagnosis was HUGE because i was taking medication for IBS and trying everything from laxatives and whole new diet thinking it was all intestinal!

for me, the key difference with endometriosis is that the pain is the worst during your period and just after (because the pain recpetors are still active even just after your period stops)...and i mean INTENSE pain (for ex: trying to use a tampon requires deep breathes to manage and sex during period is like feeling knives jutting into my body!!! the general pain is in waves of 20-30mins and makes me nauseau, hot flashes-like where my body temp spikes and i sweat, takes my breath away and i feel so completely uncomfortable...

from my experience i went to the gastro doctor first and underwent so many tests for nothing...it is my advice as a girl, to go see a endometriosis specialist OB/GYN 1st! they wont be able to see anything on the ultrasound=to be sure it is endo you have to go inside...BUT the specialists know what are the symptoms to ask you about separate from IBS and how to try to locate the pain spots with physical tests...

Hi, I was diagnosed with endo and IBS 18 months ago.... I have changed a lot particularly in the last 6 months and have found a massive difference. Although I did find that the gonadtrophin meds were very effective I have chosen to stop taking these as I don't like the side effects and find it unnatural not having my period (which may I add I am still waiting to see a year later). Eating healthily has honestly improved my pain threshold. I can now tell the difference between endo pains and IBS pains and am intune with my body to deal with the pain. When I am feeling stressed or under the weather is when I do not deal with the pains and they start dictating my life and I cannot face the world and just want to sleep. So ladies, make sure your eating healthy, cut down carbs and fatty foods, exercise and more importantly listen to your body.

It is very frustrating! All these symptoms and no explanation. It is possible to have both. The best advice I can give you is write down the symptoms... share the symptoms in detail with your doctors... and make them search for answers :-) I have learned through my journey that you get more answers this way than if you talk about diagnosis. Good Luck!