I am a cutter and have been since I was 11 years old. I am 22 now and the struggle to stop gets harder each day! A death in the family set me off the first time I cut, I used a safety pin. Last year I struggled with another death in the family amoung being homeless. I went to stay with some family and I cut again. But it wasnt anything from a safety pin, I needed 16 stitches on my left forearm. I was also drinking heavily at the time. And I was truely terrified for my life. I didn't want to die, it was just my outlet. I learned that cutting is so dangerous and I try everything before I resort to cutting now. I go for walks, I leave the room if there are people and I sit by myself and assess the situation. It really does work most of the time. So please, get help, ask anyone!!! Even a best friend can be a great listener. Be safe!

It takes alot of strength to stop something that you have been doing for so long. My son started doing that at the age of 14. Not as deep as yours , I didnt even know. Till I moved with a great man and now my husband, he is happier. Thats scary, and awsome that you had all that will power!!!!!

I found out the hard way that a tooth abscess is the best antidepressant in the world.

Pain--sharp throbbing pain--releases endorphins, which lift mood. A cut brings the pain and releases the feel-good chemicals. Chronic pain depletes the body's ability to make enough. Activities that raise endorphin levels--masturbation, walking in bright sunshine, talking with a pretty girl/handsome guy, etc., all manufacture endorphins. Exercise is the absolute best way. Walking at a moderate pace release endorphins. Heavy lifting releases norepinephrine but not endorphin.

I'm glad to hear that you are doing better and I think that your insight into the situation is very helpful. At the very least, if you are going to cut, it is obviously a good idea not to do so if you are drinking, as you discussed. But yes, it's good to try to be very mindful, which is what you are advocating. Thanks for posting this!

i am also a cutter but i am only 13. i dnt tell people what i do cause i think it makes me look weak. i just cant deal with my emotions and i harm myself to drive alll the other emotions away. i am scared i am going to kill myself accidnly