I started cutting myself one year ago. I was abused in my childhood and I have some issues. I relieve myself from emotional pain by causing physical pain. I need help! How can I stop?

Self-mutilation is a complex behavior resulting in destruction of one's own tissue. These behaviors, like scratching, burning or cutting the skin, pulling out hair, breaking bones, amputation can have variable assortment of causes. There are 3 types of self-mutilation. Major self-mutilation is most frequently associated with severe psychological disorder. Stereotypic is the result of disease causing repetitive and usually unconscious injury and superficial self-mutilation is an intentional act that one finds psychologically valuable. Superficial self-mutilation is associated with psychological disorder or trauma. People who perform superficial self-mutilation cut and burn themselves and hurt their bodies as a means of experiencing relief from psychological crisis and stress. The damage is often inflicted in the absence of pain. The intent of superficial self-mutilation is not to commit suicide. The best thing for you to do is to talk to some professional. I am sure that they can help you. Cutting yourself is not a solution to your emotional problems. I am sure that you feel like you have no other choice, but you need to get help.

? i started cutting myself, my freshman year of high school. I am now o junior and i have scars and cuts all over my arms and hands. the only thing tat helped me was my best friend. even thogh i was harming myself i never realized how much pain she was in from worrying about me. my siv has gotten alot better due to support from her and hopefully after reading this people can find a way to stop thier pain

Hi.
A professional or support meetings will help.
But here's a little tip...
Put an elastic band around your wrist (not a tight one, just one that fits comfortably) and every time you get the urge to cut, just pull the elastic and let it snap against your skin, do this as much as you need. It will give you a taste of that same sort of feeling that you need from cutting, but the only thing is you arent damaging your skin or hurting yourself in a lasting fashion.
Take care of yourself.

I have been cutting myself for years almost 10 and it works for me.But I lost control and cut myself nearly 50 times the last time. DH wants me to stop but its something I needs to do. I like the feeling of my blood running down my arm or leg. I like the rush i get.They put me on these pills but I feel less like myself and more like a zombie. It does,nt hurt anyone when I cut myself so why is everyone so freaked out. o.O

I began cutting around 9th grade. I was a year older though cause i was held back in kindergarten. I had alot of issues growing up expecially depression, being a clepto and just hating life. I was also abused by many people in my life....It started when I was forced to live with my acholic dad. My mom couldn't handle me anymore. It didnt take long before his verbal attacks at me became my own toughts. On a daily basis I would go into the bathroom with a microscope slide I stole in science class and look in the mirror while the harsh words filled my head. Eventually I was able to go back to my moms, but I was already deep into cutting. I even found one of my friends was a cutter, but I was still the outcast. I had people to hang out with but no one really know me. Anyways, I was able to stop for about 5 years and suddenly it's back. I have a kid now and so I know its not right. However, I need the emotions and thoughts to stop. So now I am cutting in more hidden places. As a kid I was crying for help. Now I am just trying to find relief. I am still alone after a loser guy. I am always alone.

Hi my partner "Cutting Edge" suffers from depression and recently her syc told her there is nothig wrong with her yet she has cut her self once and i told her if she did it again ni would leave her i cant handle it she now is still thinking about it but not telling me just other she talks to on msn. She is constantly thinking of ways to get back at people like running her ex over of killing my ex its really worriying me she even lets the kids go and can not be bothered dealing with them one is a 4 month old what can i do i am in pain inside and i too have recently suffered from depression.

I am a cutter

Im 15. and I have been cutting for a few years now. I dont know how to stop. I have scars all the way down my legs and up my arms. Its like, everytime i have felt stressed or hurt, thats the first thing that comes to mind. I never did it so deep on my arms. I was always afraid Someone would see. and I would be sent away like some people i know that have. and they went through that problem. I know I should get away from what is causing me stress and what is causing me to self mutilate myself. My parent have problems, but I cant get away from them. its a never ending cycle. I dont want to give off the impression of a whiney teenager who is complaining about nothing. I Know i have a problem. and i know i want to stop. and i know its serious. But i cant. and i need help. I love helping people. Some of my friends that Self harm themselves, I can help them. i can give them advise. i just cant follow my own. its hypocritical of me.
I just cant stop. is there anything i can do?

Hi
I just read your post on the website. I am also 15 and a cutter. I also know I need help and want to stop. You asked if there is anything you can do. I can tell you what i do. To start I am involved therapy which helps me to talk about my feelings. I write in a journal everynight and everyday. When I feel an urge to cut I try to talk to my dad. I would suggest that you try talking to your parents. I know that can be very hard. My dad and I have a close relationship so he understands how I feel which makes it easier for me to go to my dad. I remember when I was little I saw my mother cut. That is where I got the idea from. My mother died when I was 4 from COPD and that is one of the things that makes me want to cut. My therapist is helping me find resources to help control my urges to cut. If you do a search on cutting or self mutilation you may also find additional resources. You could always ask your parents to help you get in therapy. if your not comfortable telling them you are cutting yourself just tell them you have some private stuff you want to talk to someone about. You can always write to me for questions and advice, or just to talk,

Cutecutter ;-)

ive been depressed since i was at leasr 12 yrs old. i remeber, when my family left me in the cold. and i just felt like no one ever cared. then i started overdosing on medicatine. and doing drugs and drinking and just couldnt get a hold on life. i graduated high school and didnt even go to college. i always just think about giving up on life and dieing. one of my bestfriends killed her self right in front of me. and that hurts more.. all my ex girlfriends have been cutters and has done all of it in front of me. there is only one person that im not scared to talk to and be myself around and that is my girlfriend. but i do hurt myself alot of times. i've lost alot of friends and just no one understands me. i hate going to therpy i stopped going in 2007. and i just been so depressed and crazy that i cant get ahold of my happyiness. and its just crazy. life is too short to be sad but my life is jsut depressing.. i keep reading books and writing poems about death and cutting and drugs. i just dont know how to handle anything anymore. and my girlfriend has been by myside for me through all of this. but idk why she is when im just the crazy depressed girl that i am..

Emochild2008 <3 alwaysz 8-|

i cant stop bitting my tounge!!! :-(

I've used cutting as a means of relieving pain and anger for almost 20 years now. I know it is a problem. I know that it is wrong. I cut myself because I believe that I deserve to be punished. There are days that I hardly speak at all. What I present to the world is an impenatrable essence, a facade that represents the smallest, least definative part of me. I am always a little bit more than the sum of my parts because there are essential parts that I withhold. I feel nothing, care for nothing. The only thing that feels alive is the anger that burns inside of me. And I am only angry at myself. The truth is that with each passing day, I am losing myself. I am getting harder and harder to remember, harder and harder to see.
I cut myself because it brings relief. I feel like I am paying for the things that I have done wrong. I feel like if I can hurt my body, I will not notice the coming apart of my soul.