Hello. I am 45 year old mother and I have some questions about my daughter’s mood.
Recently I have noticed that my daughter is acting kind a weird. She doesn’t talk a lot and also her eating habits changed lately.
I don’t know what the right cause is but I'm guessing that it has something to do with her boyfriend.
She is really emotional person and I'm afraid that this could affect on her as a person and as a student. Is this depression we are talking about or what? Should I take her to see a psychiatrist or give her some antidepressants?
Thanks!

Well, sometimes it is quite easy to recognize depression on other people and sometimes it isn’t. It depends a lot on mood of that person before starting to act depressed.
Depression is a serious disorder that can cause significant problems in mood, thinking, and behavior at home, in school, and with peers.
I'm sorry to say this but major depressive disorder affects great percent of adolescents, in age just as your daughter.
This could be caused by breaking up with long term boyfriend or by some low marks at school.
But, I don’t suggest you to give her any antidepressants because the use of antidepressant medications themselves may induce suicidal behavior in youths.
Don’t give her any drug at all! Talk with her and if doesn’t help than visiting a psychiatrist could help!

Celebrity
I relied on antidepressants for years but they can only take you so far by themselves. What has gotten me a lot better is learning cbt. Try and find a cbt support group in her area or have her go to the library and read the book by sam obitz which is based on cbt and talks about the ways to overcome anxiety and depression. The exercises work well if you do them everyday and can lead to major changes in your ability to enjoy your life. Good luck!

Cbt is helping me a lot. I would definitely have her give the exercises a try.

Celebrity
Good for you Annie. Which exercises helped you the most?