Hi, I'm 17 and I have been having a really hard time at the moment (don't really want to mention them) but I find it really hard to cry, and so the only way I can let all the pain out is to cut. I have been for just over a month now, and at this stage it isn't servers, but I know it will be as time goes on and I am getting scars. I want to see a counsellor but every time I think of talking to my school one I get really anxious and nervous and my hands start to sweat and my breathing speeds up just at the thought of talking to the school counsellor. My main fear is that they will tell my parents, and my parents don't know, And so I'd like to keep it that way. I need help, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

you should get you a therapist, i think that might help you. the therapist will help you with your emotions and your problems so they wont b bottled up inside you. cutting yourself is really dangerous,so you should also get a diary and write your feelings down,and one day your gonna have to talk to your parents,it dnt have to b now but someday. i kno there is people who care about u alot and dnt want you to hurt yourself .u dnt have to b scared maybe talk to someone u trust alot that might make u feel comfortable to talk about this subject with. try channeling your emotions into actives,like boxing,running or something you enjoy.well i wish u the best of luck.

Sounds like panic disorder. This can be treated with medication and eventually go away. I am a 60 year old nurse and had a breakdown when I was 32 as my father little brother and grandma died suddenly and I had a baby all in just 7 months !!! I had some childhood abuse and it all caught up to me. I had anerxia and started CUTTING-which I did for bout 2 years. Now I'm left with life long scars. On my arms. If you saw them you would see long after you get well the ugly scars still stay. WORSE IS I LMOST FIED AS I CUT SN ARTERY AND A VEIN AND ALMOST BLEED TO DEATH. PLEASE GET HELP AND PROMISE YOU WONT CUT!!! Today there are good Drs that can help you with the cutting and others symptoms you are having! You deserve to be happy and free from this! Reach out  tell those around you so prey can help keep you safe! You may have had things happen I you that has triggered this BUT THERE IS HELP AND HEALING FOR YOU. You must decide for yourself you ill get HELP and do whatever it takes on your part to get well. There are support groups for PEOPLE who have used cutting as. Way to cope. I felt guilty my brother died and I lived so cutting and starving myself was my way to punish me. PLEASE GET HELP! YOU ARE A GOOD PERSON AND DESERVE TO BE HAPPY AND HEALTHY! Even as A nurse Zi made a mistake in where I cut and hit 2arteries. I should have died.  You CAN FEEL BETTER ONE DAY SO KEEP YOURSELF SAFE FOR YOU ND THOSE PPL WHO LOVE YOU. 

Please excuse my typos Im typing from an I pad and this site keeps freezing on me and won't pick letters my letters or let me correct them -hope you can understand what I was trying to Say. Very strange how this web site is o fickle I lost first 2replies to you and had to start over -

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed***Please read our Terms of Use

Im worried about your cutting. Please have a person to call when you feel the need to cut TAKE CARE AND GOOD LUCK! Things will get better and its OK TO NEED OTHERS! If they judge you then they aren't the right kind of friend. Ill be praying for you

Hey Laurina

I don't have personal experience of this, but my daughter who is younger than you does the same thing as you.  She also did not want me to find out and still wont talk to me she avoids,  showing the area's of her body she has cut.  To try and help her I sent an email to her school asking for her to get counseling she was fuming and kicked up a right stink but it is a very serious thing.  After a few sessions she found it helpful, now I'm not saying she is cured I doubt that will happen overnight, but she has someone to reach out to, someone who can advise her better than I can.  You also need to find someone to speak to.  I do suffer with anxiety so can empathize with how your feeling when you think of approaching a teacher.  Would it be possible for you to write them a note, ask them to read it and come find you if they have any ideas.  This may make the initial contact a lot easier for you.  Or there are other places you can get support.  There must be local group in your area, or even if you could find something on line and speak to other people who are in the same situation this may help you along.  It may seem like the worst thing to do, but letting your parents know may be really helpful.  They could take all the searching and first conversation stress away and arrange something for you.  They may even already know and don't know how to approach the subject with you.  I'm sorry I couldn't be any more helpful  I hope something I have said will help you get support<3

Hey, thank you for your advice and yes it really did help. I got a close friend who knows what I am going through to come with me to the school counsellor. I have my first appointment with her tomorrow arvo and to say in nervous is an understatement. I start shaking and breath quickly just thinking about it. How do you deal with your anxiety? Because I would love to get rid of mine...

Yay I'm pleased you've managed to do that. My daughter is the same drags one of her friends along to everything, but it gets her there and I guess her friend has more of an understanding too and can help after the sessions if she's been involved. Just remember if for some reason you feel you can't relate to your school councilor or it's not working out for some reason, It may take a few sessions to feel comfortable or you can go elsewhere for help, don't just give up it sometimes takes time to find someone you feel happy to talk with it's not the easiest thing to do for anyone.
The anxiety hmmm I have not yet found the magic cure but have tried a few things over the years. The first thing I think I tried when I was about 14 was a bottle of lemon grass oil, I must have read it someplace and gave it a try. I'm not sure if it was the lemon grass or the sudden deep breath but it seemed to help for a time. As I got older I suffered anxiety attacks driving, not the best place for them to happen lol, so I had to try and come up with a method to stop them pretty fast if one came on and my method for stopping them was not the best either. I found if I bit my lip it shocked me out of it, then I could work on the breathing to calm down and ride it out.
That's probably the key to it all.
I try to breath in as deeply as I can in through my nose, hold it for a few seconds and let it out slowly as I can through my mouth. If you do this when you are not suffering from anxiety you will notice your heart slowing down a bit, If you can practice a few times and slow it down in that situation you will know what your trying to achieve if you need to do the breathing in a stressful situation. When you are very stressed it takes longer, but your trying to achieve the same effect. Most times you can get a handle on the anxiety in 5-10 deep breaths. Trying to distract yourself from whatever sets it off is also good, as I said above the lip biting is not good, but you may be able to find another method to snap out of it and then work on calming down once the peak has passed if you know something is going to set it off try to find a way around it if this is not possible when it does happen again try to focus your attention on something else, trying to do the breathing too will help, and it's not obvious to others that your doing it either...Well if it is no one ever told me yet lol

Laurina, it's a great first step that you want to seek help and guidance on this issue.  That's the first part of the battle won!  Your therapist will help you work through your emotions and gently uncover why you feel the need to cut yourself as an emotional outlet.  Just keep at it and remember you are not alone, help is always there.  As for getting anxiety under control, that's something you have to take tiny step by tiny step and teach yourself to be more relaxed.  There's so much anxiety in this world and so much cause for it but that doesn't mean we can't learn to take a little more control of ourselves and our feelings.  I did, after years and years of panic attacks which actually  taught me more about myself than anything else.

Good luck to you!