Hi, I am 18 years old, and I suffer from depression. I am full of dark thoughts and negative energy, and the only way to get it out is by cutting. I feel like my problems are flowing out with my blood, and I can’t stop doing that. Any constructive advice on how to stop cutting?

Hi, I had the same problem when I was about your age. I was depressed, because I didn’t think that I belonged in that time or place. I wanted to be far away from the urban society and from all those people. I didn’t have anyone to talk to, so I kept all those thoughts inside me. Eventually, I started cutting myself. I thought that it was helping me, and nothing else mattered. I am 23 years now, and I wish I have never done that. I am no longer depressed, but I still have many scars from cutting all over my hands and legs, and I have to hide them, because I’m embarrassed when someone asks me who did it to me. I don’t know how to say that it was me who took a knife and made those horrible scars. I don’t understand how could I be so childish and irresponsible to think that my depression will last forever! I strongly recommend you to stop cutting yourself, because in a few years you will realize what you have done, and you will be regretting it every day for the rest of your life.

Hey mate,

a few of my friends have tried/done/doing this, and to be honest with you mate, it's makes you feel twice as bad i.e with all the scars the remain behind. I reccomend you stop cutting, and get a gym membership. Doing this will fill your spare time and make you more aware of your body and that cutting is only spoiling the body that you've got. The more happy you feel about yourself the more you won't want to do it.

Joining the Gym equals a fit body which equals, more self aware, which then equals girls to draw to you, which results in happiness in the bedroom along with your self awareness.

** In NO WAY am i asking you to become a male w****, but only to seek the girl of your dreams, and to be happy. a few nights out a week will do you the world of good mate honestly. My friends all regret what they've done they we're diagnosed with Bipolar, which isn't very nice it restricts you from doing all the good things in life, and makes you abit of the village id**t, and i'm sure you don't wanna be that. So the only answer, and the key to your success in life isn't Cutting yourself, it's grabbing every day as it comes, bad days take it on the chin, and get back up and think "and?! tommorows another day".

Hope this post helps mate, and i hope you get better, You will be happyer in yourself, and your friends/family will be happy with you aswell. For the best mate honestly!!

Good Luck! and all the best,
Shane

I am also a cutter. have been for about 1 1/2 years. i have been making a diary a cutting diary, i keep it on my lap top and when ever i want to cutt i write in it. it has been helping alot. i always try that first and if it doesn't help. i cutt.

I was reading passages from another cutters diary and it's like she was writing about me. so in some way we all think alike.

if you want i could send you what i have so far. i'm not ashamed. but i do use a fake name all through it.

**edited by moderator**

In my experience, the need to cut comes and goes through the years. Sometimes it just wouldn't occur to you to do it. There's a certain combination of depression, feeling unable to help your situation and having the stimulus (like talking about self harm or reading about it on the net) that makes it almost inevitable if you've used it as a tool before, for feeling better.
The thing that stopped me from cutting was the shame. It gets to a point where you start to wake up to it, as others describe above. You sound like your there too. It feels like it helps, but the shame makes you think of other ways of dealing with the internal turmoil. Not taking anger out on yourself, but other objects is a good short term switch. Or just swallowing down the urge. The longer you avoid doing it, the easier it becomes to not do. it becomes less of a reflex and more a considered decision. Feeling your control over it is a start if you want it to stop being a part of you.

If you mood changes to a more positive state, the desire will disappear. Keeping a diary of how your feeling and what upsets you is a good self help therapy, which you may find more effective in the long run for dealing with your pain.

Write everything out.

I personally am not a cutter so i dont understand the desire to do this. Whenever im feeling down i just express myself to anyone who will give me the time to listen. A friend of mine used to cut but i helped her stop. I told her how much it hurt me to see her hurt herself like that and she stopped pretty much cold turkey. I havent noticed any more cuts so i assume she has stopped. Whenever she has a problem i ask her to come to me and talk it out. This helps a lot more than cutting because she is getting that feeling out and not surpressing it into self destructiveness. The more and longer you bottle up bitter dark emotions the more likely you are to become suicidal which is the worst way to deal with something. If you cant find a friend to talk to get professional help. They have many places that you can get help from.

mkkay. so ive been struggling with this for awhile too. 1 1/2 years. NOTHING helped. but i told one of my friends about it, and he pretty much just yelled at me for doing it. and he also threatened me that if he finds out i cut again, and he will find out cause i somehow talk about it in some way and he'll know, he wont talk to me again. that happened once for about 4 days, and i felt horrible cause i thought i actually lost him, but i begged him to give me one more chance. so right now, im at one month and 6 days. so im doing pretty good. i love him for doing that, cause i probably wouldnt have stopped without him. and just to let you know youngin, about 95% of the time, cutters will refuse professional help. i recomend that people that dont understand this kind of stuff, not help, because you dont know sh*t

i cut. i tried to stop but every time i stop i only get worse. im tired of people telling me im stupid for doing it. im not killing anyone. i cut to make sure i dont commit suicide. its like the monster in our closets waiting till everyone is gone to get us. we know its there but who will believe us?
it doesnt matter because soon everyone will leave. everyone will go and i know i will be left behind. every one will leave me one day and i will be left behind. whats the point?
i dont need help. i dont care anymore. im tired of people telling me therapist will work. i doubt many of them have seen the world through eyes like mine. they cant help me. i dont care how many people have spilled their guts to them. they cant help me.

Okay. So I have been a cutter for four and a half years. No no one will understand it. Because they simply aren't in my shoes. They haven't gone through the pain I have, or see the world the way I see. I can say that a therapist can help if you want to stop. I know that sounds odd, but they will give you the tools so next time you have a better vice. I used to use rubberbands A LOT. And still do weekly at the least. It was my stepping stone until I could find another way. I had a youth minister who pretty much became my mother. And I told her that I was cutting, and a lot opf other dark secrets I was going through. She told me the next time I had a razor blade in my hand to pick up the phone and call her. You will find people who get angry or leave you. But eventually you will tell someone who will listen! We have to look past our shame and guilt and try to reach out to someone. I've been 3 weeks clean, slip ups do happen. Its addicting, whether we like it or not... so make a list of things that can help you. Taking a hot bath, going for a run, writing a loved ones name where you cut, keeping a diary, talking to someone, etc. Sometimes you will have to go through this list many times before the temptation decreases a bit. But all that matters is that you are trying!

hii i am 19 years old and i cut myself i started when i was 16 when my aunt was beaten on me but i only did it once then @ 17 i did a few times then @ 18 i started doing it more and now i am 19 years old and i cant stop every time when i fight with ppl or with friends or family stuff goes on or if i am just feeling depressed or if i am really hating myself and i have thet urge 2 cut myself then i just do it i feel alot of pain n when i see my hand drenged in my blood the only thing going threw my head is me cutting myself n all the bad things i go threw it feels good though it herts really bad but it takes the pain thet i am feeling inside away but anyways i am trying 2 stop its hard but i am still trying...

The people who say therapists work are wrong for many people, and you aren't going to be left behind. There's SO many people around you. If someone's gonna leave you behind then you'll have another someone right there by your side to pick you up. Therapists act all calm and sh*t but that's what makes it SO much more annoying. You think "How can you be so f*****g calm!" Just think of the friends you have. For each cut you're also hrting your friends. I would know. I have a friend who cuts and texts me at three in the morning begging for me to help her because she's scared. Not only is she scared but so am I. I worry, thinking, "What if I go to school and Jen's not there. What if I here she's at the hospital in a coma from blood loss because the cutting got so bad." You don't want to put your friends through that so don't. It's painful, scary and all in all.. it's not going to help with the pain. Not one bit. People think that it does but it only causes more pain and scars for the years to come.