My son has had chronic issues with cysts and infections on waistband and buttocks. It started when he was real young. Doctors thought it was a nickel allergy to metal on jeans. Then it went to scavies, then to staff infections, then to ingrown hair by the time he reached puberty. Now he' mid-teens and their worse. They get so bad, he can barely sit, bend or wear clothes. When they "break out" fully, they turn to large red puss filled pockets that will eventally drain and scar.

We have tried antibiotics (oral and cream), antifungal soap, jock itch medication, non-binding clothes, and regular cleaning with astringent. (The is slightly effetive in helping increase time between outbreaks.)

Now, with a large breakout despite daily routine, we are tried varietyof things. Doctors have no answers except "some people are more prone to these", which is true, his dad has them, but not this bad.

So I have found. When they are active and painful this works:
Lots of asprin ground up to powder form, mixed with water to make paste, not liquid. apply thick coating to entire affected and surrounding area. The idea is to get all bacteria to come to surface and or die. Leave on overnight. Repeat a needed this will bring them to a head, bring others to surface and exfoliate around area. This is same principle as acne sylica acid cream, but stronger.

When they are at a head, take a needle, disinfect (alcohol or lighter), apply small drop of asprin paste to tip and do a quick jab/stab/lance on head to allow it to drain. Then allow it to drain on own. It either will or won't. Keep area clean If you can immediately, soak in hot bath with 3 cups of apple cider vinegar. (doesn't sting) Sounds crazy I know but it will change the acidic level of the skin and make it impossible for bacteria to continue to move and fester in skin. If you can't bathe place antibacterial ointment on largeband aid and then cover.

Significant improvement in pain, swelling and appearance is evident with in 24 hrs. Keep up for atleast 48 then switch to different process. I switch every 48hours to prevent bacteria resistance or one type living and the other type not. (Staff?MRSA?Acne?I've heard it all)

Others that work: Mixture, vitamin E (to make spreadable), L-Lysine powder (from caplets), Tumeric and Tea Tree Oil, mixed to make creamy paste. Cover entire area ex: entire buttocks (both sides even if non infected) or entire waist band area. It will stain orange skin but will wash off after a couple of times. Keep on overnight. This reduces inflamation, helps with scarring and brings toxins to surface.

Daily care to prevent. Regular bathing..Afterwards, wipe entire affected area with washcloth soaked in lemon juice (seems to be stronger than astringent or witch hazel). Then coat in acne cream (10% benzo). During intervals of the day, if you're a sweater or have persistant problems, use acne wipes, on entire area and surrounding and then reapply cream a couple of times a day. Once a week apple cider vinegar bath helps (3 cups/hot water). Keep festered areas bandaged during active times. Change clothes and washcloths regularly.

Lastly, to help with scarring: vitamin E, L-Lysine, and Tea Tree Oil combination with out Tumeric, will help with scarring while keeping acid level of skin where it needs to be to avoid outbreak. To help with red/purple permanent bruising...dab full strenght lemon juice on area with q-tip and allow to dry. will bleach out.

Remember that the bacteria is "smart" in that it will move to the untreated areas so make sure to be generous. Lastly, I have other suggestions, take L-Lysine internally and use pure glycerine soap and avoid creams, lotions, vasoline, shortening etc. The more wet, gooey and less acidic the skin, the more likely to have cysts, pimples, etc.

I hope this helps someone, because my son and I have fought this for years and so far this is the most effective.

What you're describing sounds a lot like Hydradinitis Supparitava, which I suffer from. I have the most flare-ups on my buttocks and between my thighs and eventually got this chronic condition diagnosed properly by a consultant dermatologist 10 years ago.
Sadly, there is no known cure for this disease, nor any particular known cause (bar a few "ideas") and the severity of the condition can range from mild to severe.
Look it up. It is possible that your son is an unfortunate sufferer of "H.S"
Hope he feels better soon.

I have dealt with these "boils" for the past 27 years. My doctor adviced me NOT to lance them as this allows bacteria to spread. Anyway, this may sound odd. But when I feel them starting, and I know how they feel now after so many years. I take the thin membrane lining from an egg, told you it was weird, and place it over the spot. Cover it lightly with a band aid. The membrane will dry up and then I'll take it off. It seems to do something to the inflammation. I have only had 1 or 2 actually come to a head in the past 10 years. I KNOW this sounds ridiculous. But, after having boils so bad that my entire thigh would swell with a puss core so rock hard or not being able to move my torso, or wear clothing around my waist... I don't care how crazy it sounds!! There will still be a red/purplish spot for a few weeks... but the pain and swelling stops! My Mom also had these boils.

Maybe this can help someone else!

Sounds like shingles. Has he ever had the chicken pox? It's odd for a child that age to get them but years working in hosp I have seen it on occasion. Best wishes

I have had these exact same symptoms for the last 24 years. My doctors over the years have told me that there is no real cure for this problem,and my current doctor is so tired of excising my cysts that he has experimented on me with low intensity as well as high-intensity laser therapy with no real results unfortunately. 

I'm just going through a major flareup right now and while I'm waiting for it to come to a head, I am reading some articles online in regards to the relationship between diet and our symptoms. I'm just wondering if anyone has had any success with the removal or addition of any foods, etc.

I found a balm called Hush & Dotti. I wear it under my underwear over night. My rear has cleared up immensely. Boils are gone in a day.

Laser hair removal? Wouldn't that eliminate the hair follicles?

Thank you for the sensible posting

Yes I have had this HS since I was 12 it is genetic and I have found that the less toxins I put into my body ie... high fructose corn syrup greasy foods and such the less severe of a breakout I have my breakouts are continuous they never go away and never have a day as clear and painful skin so I do notice a difference. They do not go away tho i also take 2-3 baths a week, with 2 cups epson salt for about 20 minutes. It helps draw the toxins out. I've been told to avoid sweating because the problem somewhere starts in my sweat glands my doctor tells me to wear my birthday suit when I'm at home as much as I appropriately can. There is some talk of super foods high in vitamin E nd/or antioxidants but yet to try. Remendar bacteria feeds on sugar Steven breads are sugar you gotta really go down to protein and vegetables for your diet to notice a difference in flare up no brakes I can definitely say I have less cysts and boils since I've been watching my diet and it's healthy for me too and me kind of a win-win I'll do anything that helps this stupid H.S. skin issue.

Also I would like to add that there are two diseases I know it what is like started with irritation of hair follicles and the one I have HS is it's your sweat glands get irritated and I wish I could describe it better or at least with some medical terminology but I'm definitely going to try the Aspirin paste and a few other suggestions I've never heard of before my breakouts have been so bad and painful but it's kept me from being able to work I've lost jobs for missing too many days I don't even know if I could get SSI for this condition but it's brutal to go through life with this nevermind all the physical and social insecurities that come with it people don't understand they even talk to me like I don't shower enough I shower twice a day astringent throughout the day salicylic acid adult acne treatment and benzoyl acne treatment even charcoal with benzoyl and sulfuric treatments I've read about radiation therapy and have often wondered but my doctor says that it's purely experimental and as we all know radiation has some major side effects so my doctor says that it's really not an option for stuffers of HS

Where do you get this balm ??

I have been on a low sugar and low carb diet for past 4 month and seem to be having less problems with them so far. Have also noticed that taking a zinc supplement also helps.

I also have HS. It's been a constant in my life for 20+yrs.
Been told a few times that the abscess and boils were caused by ingrown hairs.
I got diagnosed with HS 6mths ago by my dermatologist who prescribed me Lymecycline. 1 tab a day and they worked a treat. No more angry boils.
I would recommend !

Lymecycline capsules belongs to a group of medicines called tetracycline antibiotics. It is used to treat acne; which appears as blackheads and whiteheads which people often refer to as pimples or spots.21 Jul 2016
Lymecycline 408mg Capsules, hard

I read that turmeric help fight the bacteria that causes boil.