Hi. I see there are lots of posts about unexplained bloating in this forum. I am 30 years old, female, smoker. After every meal, even vegetable broth, everything beneath my bra swells. I have been experiencing this for two months, after a few months of mild stomach pain. I am a strict vegan for six years now, therefore I do not eat any meat or dairy products. I have seen overall, 2 gastrointerologists, an allergist, a dietician, a gynocologist and a naturopath. So far, we have ruled out celiac's disease, and H. Pylori. I do have a small fibroid and a small ovarian cyst, both of which my doctor says are too small to be producting my symptoms. A skin prick allergy test showed allergic reactions to navy beans, rice and peanuts, but a blood test for antigens showed no allergic reactions, and I have given those foods up anyway and continue to experience symptoms. I have had 2 ultrasounds and am going in for a third. My first one revealed a small gall stone that the technician said was too small to be causing my symptoms. My last gastro put me on Prevacid but I have taken it for a week now and seen no change. I know that I shouldn't smoke, but it was actually my inability to enjoy eating anything anymore that led me to start smoking again after a successful quit lasting several months. The one food I can eat almost enough to get filled up on before the bloating sets in is bread, and this is what I have been subsisting on for the most part for two months now, so I feel pretty crappy energy-wise on top of the bloating and pain. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to know what else I need to be tested for. Due to my age, all of my doctors have been reluctant to do any tests such as colonoscopy, endoscopy, CT scan. Thanks.

Hi! I have had similar problems for the last two-three weeks and I did some research and realized that there could be so many reasons for bloating. Ovarian cysts and tumors could be causing bloating but since you have already had ultrasounds and your cyst was small, I suppose the doctors were right to rule out these.
The simplest air swallowing while eating and drinking could be causing the swelling as well as hormonal changes including PMS, PCOS and very painful periods. Considering you are vegetarian, there are a lot of gassy vegetables that could be causing your problem. Constipation can be another cause.

My father has IBS and he has had problems with gases and bloating for over a year now. It is said that stress worsens the symptoms.

Diverticulosis (inflamed pouches in colon) could be causing bloating as well but the disorder is more common is older people ie those older than 40.

If they can’t find another cause, maybe they should perform an endoscopy, I don’t know.

Anyway, I hope you get better soon.

You should persuade your docs to do an upper GI or EGD as well as a colonoscopy. At the very least, a CT of your abdomen/pelvis. There could be many things going wrong that could be identified by an imaging study. You also might consider seeing an ENT or general surgeon as they deal with these types of issues, including acid reflux. Silent reflux, or something called laryngopharyngeal reflux disease, can be silent (no symptoms of heartburn) and can still cause problems. You may need a pH manometry test to see what your pH levels are to see if acid is the problem. But I would find a doctor who will do an imaging study because if every other test has been tried up to now and nothing has been found, imaging is the next step.

This would be an exellent test to try, and if it fails to identify any specific problem, it will nevertheless have wonderful side effects.

FAILSAFE TEST: Stop all nicotine smoking for 12 months.

Sounds like it will help you, doesn't it, one way or another?

Give it a shot, kid.

--Mike

FAILSAFE TEST: Quit nicotine smoking for 12 months. The side effects are great whether or not your current symptoms go away (which they probably will !).

Good luck, Angie.

That's a nice saintly gesture you're taking upon yourself, Mike to try and get a stupid addict you don't know to quit smoking. I find your post insulting for many reasons. One of which is that while we all know that quitting smoking is a great step in the direction of good health, and one that is necessary for all of us to eventually make, we also all know that it has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO with bloating and stomach pain. Except in the case of severe IBS, where sometimes smoking helps the pain subside. Of course you have no idea that I have already quit smoking and my life-ruining bloating has absolutely nothing to do with it since this post was made a long time ago. Nice of you to come on here and suggest I try something that has nothing to do with the problems I posted about on this forum for a year and a half though. Here's a failsafe test for you: quit lording it over complete strangers for a year and a half and see if it helps with all of your problems.

Thank you Lori and Guest - my doctors finally figured out that I have gallstones. I am able to keep the pain at bay with a low-fat diet and I will have surgery next month, have my gallbladder out. If the bloating does not subside after surgery, some of the things you both listed that I haven't yet tried will be on my list, as well as a gastric emptying scan and a low-carb diet. Thank you for your comments; I of course forgot about this site. Please no more Mike's or any posts telling me how bad having my gallbladder out is.

Angela,
I am so sorry. My note was not written or meant to be condescending and I certainly don't consider smokers to be dumb. I smoked for too many years myself and know full well what it takes to quit and quit permanently. Where I was coming from is that quitting smoking has many beneficial effects all over the body, even if it didn't help with the bloating.
I hope the gallstones surgery resolves most if not all of your symptoms.
Good luck to you.
Mike

Mike, no hard feelings. I accept your apology and I too am sorry if I lashed back a little harshly. It's hard to tell what people are really getting at in this medium. I'm glad we're both not smoking now and here's to good health for both of us, as much good health as being smoke-free can bring anyway.

You should try taking supplements that promote intestinal flora. (Pro-Biotics, Acidophilus) If you are lacking, your food can ferment instead of digesting and cause gas. Do some research on it, go to a health food store and get a good quality supplement. Maybe that will help.

I to have been suffering from bloating eating or not. every thing I put in my mouth food, dairy,soda juices. I have had test after test. Now I suffer from anxiety I guess because of the worrying about my stomach. Has anyone had these symptoms and was cured? I am depressed about this

SMOKING SHUTS DOWN THE ACTIVE DIGESTIVE PROCESS IN THE STOMACH. WHICH IS WHY MANY SMOKE AFTER A HUGE MEAL.

i just had my gallbladder removed a month ago because of gallstones and have since experienced the worst bloating of my life, but no weight gain. just a huge, inflated belly where my 6 pack abs used to be. i had laproscopic surgery which fills u up with gas, but thats all gone now, in the morning i am semi-deflated but gradually fill up more as i eat. pre-surgery i experienced the bloating too, but not nearly as bad, unless i was having a gallbladder attack. at least the pain is gone but now the bloating is driving me crazy!!!! with 13% body fat i should not look this bad! i can barely fit in my clothes. did the surgery mess up my system? am i not getting bile in my intestines anymore? or is this something i had all along that caused the gallstones and removing the gallbladder made it worse? i'm making a doctors appointment soon, but am wondering if anyone had this experience and has some advice?

This is the original poster. I tested positive for small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO.) The following are treatments that I have implemented:

Betaine HCL with meals 4 - 6 months
Digestive enzymes 1-2 months
Low-carb diet (Atkins induction levels) 6 months and counting
Course of Xifaxan (1200 mgs daily for 10 days)
VSL#3 probiotic - 3 months and counting

I feel great and the bloating is gone. My life is worth living now. Gastro #1 believes it is because of the low carb diet. Gastro #2 contributes my good health to the Xifaxan and the VSL. Personally I believe the entire regimen is necessary once it is clear that you are dealing with pathogenic bacteria. The betaine and enzymes must be taken until meals can be digested without help. The low carbs are essential because fats and proteins do not feed the bacteria. The bacteria do not die completely without the antibiotics. And after the antibiotics the probiotic (VSL) is needed to ensure that the environment is not ripe for recolonization. This is not candida or yeast. It's bacteria that should be in another part of the body (colon, mouth, etc.) migrating to the small intestine due to slowed motility. This has nothing to do with smoking or not smoking. See what lots of well-meaning uninformed people can do with their all caps and time on their hands.

I wish the best of luck and health to everyone. Join my SIBO group at http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/sibonation/ or read my blog here: http://girrlockholmes.wordpress.com/ for more information and possible continued discussion.

I am a 28 year old female non smoker and have a drink maybe twice a year. It all started Feb 26th 2008. I woke up at 2am in the morning, I ended up going to the doctor and was treated for the flu. They said I had a high white cell count and gave me antibiotics.

The following week Monday I slept 22 hours still unable to keep bland foods down, I went back to the doctor which advised me my white cell count went up again and changed antibiotics. I have abdominal pain in my upper abdomen and severe bloating. I went to the doctor and explained I was in pain still and sleeping from 16-22 hours a day. I gained weight rapidly 35lbs. in 5 weeks even though I can hardly eat anything and keep it down and contiued to gain. My weight has stopped at 275, I used to be 180 lbs. as of Aug of 2007.

The doctor did a hormone test which was normal, he decided it was time for an ultra sound and a gallbladder test. They found a fatty nodule on my liver, but nothing in their minds as far as serious. I tried to explain that when I eat I blow up like I am 6-9 months pregnant and stay distended outward. I don't go out in public on a regular basis because they don't want me driving and when my husband takes me anywhere they ask me when I am due.

I decided to show my doctor. I ate a 6 oz chicken breast grilled, a small stock of broccoli and have of a potato without skin. He was very surprised and since then I have been tested even at mayo clinic.

My testing includes two scopes down to the stomach, two digestive tests, 4 CT scans, 1 x-ray, a colonoscopy, hormone testing, blood work and then some and still no answers that make any since. I did test positive for Small intestinal bacterial overgrowth which they treat not once but twice. They took me off Lexapro saying that it could cause these symptoms. They have tried Nexium, Prevacid, and Zantac.

I have been off of Lexapro and still no change my rib cage feels like something is on the inside pushing outward, and I can't get relief of the pressure. I used to be active, but now my life has come to a stand still. Someone, anyone can you please help me.