For the past few years I have been experiencing abdominal pain mostly in the left upper and lower parts, but occasionally it is all over including below the rib cage. I have had alternating constipation and diarrhea, both severe. Each phase lasting at least a week followed immediately by the other. I get nasuseaous when eating and all the symptoms increase after eating. I have experienced a significant loss of energy, so much so that it is hard for me to function. I have to talk myself into getting up in the morning and when I attempt to work out I can make it about 10 minutes before I feel like I can't do anything. I also experience severe headaches around the same time of day located in the front of my head and extending over my left eye and down the left side. Other symptoms that aren't as severe, but frequently occuring are pain in all of my joints, sensitivity to cold especially in the hands and feet, tingling in the hands, and occaisional stabbing pain in the chest area (this symptom occurs and disapates quickly located in the right breast area and does not feel surface level, but deeper under the skin.) I have also gained 20+ lbs in less than 2 months I eat less food than I did before this and have tried to keep physically active, but despite this I continue to gain weight...

You may have symptoms of hypothyroidism, as well as gastrointestinal disorder that may involve the intestine, liver, or pancreas. See a doctor as soon as possible.

Hi basek_fm, I think that what is going on with you should be checked out by a doctor as soon as possible. How many years have you been experiencing these symptoms? I think that it's got to be a serious issue that you should take care of since it seems to really be affecting your quality of life. Please let us know what happens with the doctor, okay?

This sounds soooo much like me. I have been experiencing the same symptoms for at least 5 years now. I don't understand it! However, It seems to me like I have been alternating between hyer and hypo- thyroidism. Has anyone else experienced the same or similar issues?

Do't worry hun!!! I feel the same way too. But my problem has luckily just been solved after years of living like this. The worst part was that all my symptoms were so generalized that everyone (family, doctors, friends) thought I was just making it all up. After SO many tests and several disbelieving doctors, I finally was given the diagnosis of Celiac Disease. This is an autoimmune condition in which your body attacks the smaller intestine upon the ingestion of even the smallest amount of gluten (a protein found in wheat, barley, and rye). The symptoms can be so varied it is nearly impossible to diagnose, and it is estimated that 97% of the population has CD and doesn't know it. My symptoms began as bloating, abdominal distention, nausea, and all those gastrointestinal problems. Then, I stopped menstruating, and began to have painful migraines lasting all day. I also started to have terrible abdominal cramping and pains, and then I started to have muscle pains (like I couldn't make it through the day) as well as extreme fatigue. I lost weight at the beginning, but ended up gaining about 10 lbs. because I couldn't exercise anymore for fear of passing out (I had some scary moments). At my bidding, the doctors did numerous tests for mineral deficiencies, and found that I was anemic and lacking zinc, vitamin B12, and several others. ALthough the blood test for celiac disease came back negative, I begged them to do an intestinal biopsy (this is how the diagnosis is confirmed) and I got the answer. If you think your symptoms sound similar, I would strongly reccommend you talk to your doctor about it, but DO NOT stop eating gluten, as this could manipulate the results of your tests. Good luck, I hope you feel better!!! I had some scary moments

It sounds to me like it could be a problem with your gallbladder. I had those same symptoms starting in late october of this year and I finally went to the doctor in march. I was experiencing these random attacks of stabbing pain right in the middle of by chest just under the breast bone. The pain was so bad it had me on the floor In the fetal position just crying in pain. It went from maybe one attack a month to two or more every few weeks. I was also experiencing alternating constipation/diarrhea and I was feeling sick all the time. It was miserable because I could only eat a few things otherwise It would trigger the attacks or I would throw it up. I finally went to the doctor and had a series of tests done. I had an endoscopy and biopsy of my stomach done, an ultrasound, and a CCT Hiada scan of my gallbladder done to determine that I had an inflamed gallbladder. I ended up having it removed in may, and the doctor told mw that he had found a couple of stones when they removed it. Now that i am recovered from the surgery, the random attacks of pain are gone, but once in a while I will go through these episodes where everything I eat I end up throwing it back up.I am not a doctor so I cant tell you this is what you have but Hopefully this may answer some of your questions and you can as your doctor to test for any of these problems. I hope this helped!

it isn't neccessarily the gall bladder, because i'm only 18, and i have been having those SAME EXACT problems the past few months. and i had my gall bladder removed when i was in 9th grade. soooo idk. it's really screwing my life up though. everything is based around how my stomach feels or if i can even eat or if i do eat, will it give me diarrhea, nausea, or constipation

Your early symptoms sound EXACTLY like what I began experiencing about a year and a half ago. Last year I was diagnoses with Celiac Disease (a fortunately early diagnosis from what I'm told). Celiac can cause a WIDE variety of symptoms and some of yours are fairly classic (constipation, diarrhea, and fatigue). I would highly recommend you go to your GP or gastroenterologist and ask for the blood test for celiac disease (they referred to mine as a "transglut test" but I'm not sure if that's the technical name for it). You must continue eating gluten until you finish the test, but most people start to feel much better after just a few weeks without gluten. I hope you can get this resolved!

check for kidney stones

One word - HYPOTHYROIDISM!

Excuse me I hope u still check this, ive been having the same problem exactly and wanted to know if u ever got any answers.? Jennifer

I have the same problems. My headaches are anywhere but guaranteed to get at least one a day, some worse then others. I get stomach pains all the time all over, not just in a particular area. About a year ago my allergist did a 'prick' test and said i had a slight reaction to wheat - told me to go on a gluten free diet to see how it goes... Within 9 months, id gained 30kilos - never in my life have i weighed more then 64 and now i am 95kilos :-( Ive had numerous blood tests and allergy tests, they come back normal. I have recently had a colonoscopy and a gastroscopy (camera up the botttom and one down the throat) - no signs of celiacs or chrones disease and they couldnt find anything else that could be causing my problems. After 10 years of stomach pains, aches, headaches, nausea, drowsiness, insomnia, no energy etc, i am back to not knowing and having nothing on the table as a possibility...

Skylar wrote:

superstar27 wrote:

Skylar- Did the gluten free diet help with any of your symptoms? A lot of people that start a gluten diet end up gaining some weight.

Quote:

One word - HYPOTHYROIDISM!

You aught to be thankful you dont suffer all or some of these symptons. They just make daly functioning very difficult.

i have stomch cramps, back pain, gas, diarrh. what is it stomch flu or something esle