Hi, I have a friend who is a vegetarian and something about his diet is very confusing to me. I was wondering if you could explain it to me, because I am embarrassed to ask him this question. Are vegetarians allowed to eat fruits? I don’t know what the difference between fruits and vegetables is. Can you please solve this riddle for me?

Hi, you don't have to be embarrassed by this question. In fact, I am sure that a majority of people can not explain the difference between fruits and vegetables. I bet that there are a small number of people, except the botanists, who would say that tomatoes and cucumbers are fruits. But according to the definition they are fruits. According to scientists fruits are mature ovaries of seed-bearing plants and vegetables are plants cultivated for their roots, leaves and other eatable parts. To simplify things, if an eatable part of plant contains seeds, that plant is considered fruit. Another thing that separates fruits and vegetables is carbohydrate called fructose that gives the fruits their sweet taste that vegetables don’t have. And for your second question, vegetarians are allowed to eat everything that is not an animal product and that includes fruits.

what is the difference between fruits and vegetables ??
where ever i see the answer of this question i get the answer about its ovaries. can anybody tell me any other difference in them.

Fruits are the plants ovaries and are used to disperse the seeds through animal droppings, while vegetables are not.

Source:

There's nothing to be embarassed about your question.

________________________

“He who has health, has hope. And he who has hope, has everything.”

***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed