Hello. First of all, I haven't had my tonsilectomy as of yet. It's on the 6th April. Tomrrow (1st April) I am due for some tests - like a blood test, urine test and other things.

The reason I'm having the tonsilectomy, is because of my Snoring, and also Obstructive Sleep Apnea. Now with my tonsils, I can relax and I would be able to feel them fall to the back of my throat. I believe this causes the pauses in my breathing during sleeping periods.

The other method on trying to resolve my breathing during sleeping periods, would be a CPAP machine. So oxygen is forced down my throat I believe - this will help me in the breathing process, but it would be likely I'd need it for the rest of my life and being young - well if I can avoid it, I will. Though that won't prevent the snoring.

For my tonsils to fall to the back of my throat, they need to be pretty big, right? They are. Though the tonsils may not be my only problem - my BMI being 35 (morbidly obese) - may also have an effect.

Some of those who have their tonsils out, complain about the pain - and also theirs may be small. I'm talking about over twice the size of those small tonsils, covering more area. The younger you are, the quicker you heal. So those at around the age of 5 - may heal within a week. Those older - within 2 weeks. This also depends on how healthy you are and how well you look after yourself. Which, I'm just about to turn 18 - and with a high BMI, I'm not exactly that healthy either so... Heh, it's going to be a rough time!

I'm okay with pain though; I've had piercings, tattoos, tattoo removal, two operations which involved my ears and my big toes though from what I believe, the tonsilectomy will be pretty damn painful but it varies on different people.

I'll make a reply tomorrow after the tests. Hopefully this will be helpful to many people as most people just post about post-op experiences - though why not do pre-op aswell and hell, if you're awake - post about the op too! :-D

I came back from the "tests" - actually, the letter they sent is standard, so none of that really happened. They asked me a few questions, like if I smoked - etc and they checked my weight which actually my BMI is now 33 (gone down by two, yes!). They checked my temperature and did a blood pressure test.

The blood pressure pump did actually go quite tight compare to the others I've had before - it actually got to the point it was starting to hurt, seriously!

Everything was fine, apparently my heart is good too. My mum gave in the urine sample, it's in a drinking bottle and I was so not willing to carry a drinking bottle of urine. It looked like an actual drink because of the container!

They also wanted some swabs, one swab stick was used for the two nostrils on the inside and the other swab stick was for ... THE GROIN. Now when I say the groin, I don't mean you swap your actual penis or vagina (whichever you have) - its to the side, like near your legs in a female it would be your bikini line.

They also told me bits about the pre-op and post-op too. When going into theatre, you need to remove all jewellery and be in a gown - she didn't mention any underwear, eek! You may take mobiles in but are likely to get bad reception though if you want to leave the building to recieve reception then you have to alert the wards reception. Though any valuables like mobiles, laptops and other things are not recommended to bring - they don't have a lot of storage (or they just don't care about their patients being happy).

You MUST not eat before midnight the following morning. So you might be a bit hungry when you wake up from the operation!

You MUST wash properly before you go to the hospital though, not just a swim in the bath. This is to prevent infection but in my honest opinion, the hospital staff want to prevent infection - so by doing so, they can get a hot nurse to come bed bath me, heh!

It would be advised to bring an over night stay kit with you, just in case. The earlier the operation, the more likely you are to be out the same day but it all depends how well the operation goes.

You probably will also get your own room, this is to avoid any other sick people that may be lurking around the hospital - not to mention all those stinky feet!

After the operation, you will be placed in the recovery room. They'll also wake you up!

You MUST eat normal foods. Though toast, crisps and other sharp pieces of food should be avoided - you don't want a glass sharp piece of crisp cutting into your tonsil wound now, do you? Things like strawberries, grapes, most kinds of meat, sandwiches... pretty much most normal peoples dinner are fine to eat. Eating will be painful, but rough foods will rub against the tonsil wound and also brush off any nasty germs making it less likely to get an infection. Having sloppy foods like Ice Cream, sure it will be easier to swallow - but it won't prevent infection. Though you can have both! Just don't have the sloppy foods INSTEAD of your normal meals.

You must avoid contact with the outdoors for around 7 days - as people have colds and other germes that can pass to you, and a bad cough isn't what you want!

As for painkillers; Hospitals prescribe whatever they see fit for you. It could be Morphine, Codeine or any other kind. These aren't suppose to remove the pain but to take the edge away. You will be in pain, just how much is all down to the patient.

Though all this will depend on the hospital but the routine will probably be similar.

It's relatively straight forward if you can put up with the pain. You can move around unlike some patients which may have just lost a leg, or infact have no legs! Should be greatful it's an oral precedure, sure you'll have trouble eating and speaking but lets face the facts - everyone wants you to shut up for a few days. Haha. Also, oral wounds heal much quicker!

Again, my operation is due on the 6th April, which is infact only 5 days away. I'll probably not reply again until after the operation. Either in the room or when I get home - depends when and if I can recieve internet.

Finally. The post you've all be waiting for! I'm on Mobile Internet which is provided by my Mothers friend. It's not brilliantly fast, but it'll work for now.

I've had my operation, and I'm staying in over night and yes - I have to eat proper food!

To start with I was placed in my room. A nurse came over to fill in my admission forms. I was first on the list so I literally went down rather instantly.

After going down, I had to take a pillow in the bag - and be in the waiting room for a maximum of 5 minutes. Then this really gorgeous nurse took me into a quiet place asking me to confirm my name and address.

Following that, I went into this other room, got told to lay on the bed. They put a tight rubber band thing around my arm to make sure the ateries become more visible. I was told to clench my fist and relax aswell. After that he prodded my arteries to make sure they become swollen so he can see. (Yes, prodding your veins make them more visible which means they do become swollen). They then inserted a drip style thing. Though was not placed on an actual drip- This was so they could inject the anaesthetics to make me fall asleep.

That was pretty much instant, felt all tingly and a strange taste in my mouth within a milisecond after injected!

After waking up in the recovery room, my eyes were blurry and just really couldn't concentrate as I was still pretty much asleep but awake at the same time. I was aware of what people were saying though - but I really just wanted to sleep some more.

I got moved shortly after that to my actual room where I am remaining now. I ate some food, drank lots of water - I did get a top up of Paracetamal (I'm guessing a high dosage) not long ago. The pain is pretty bad but it's nothing to cry over. Suprisingly, week coughs actually feel painless. Just swallowing is an issue. Don't take big mouth fulls of anything - it will put a lot of pressure on the wounds.

So to sum up, I'm relatively okay. Not too much pain (as expected with the pain killers). Eating is a bit difficult but having the water to wash it down after a few bites really does make a positive difference for me. You also feel very tired, so get as much sleep as possible - it'll ease away the pain as you would be asleep. Which is good.

Though I must warn you, don't go for the soluble painkillers. It absolutely stung my throat.

This is the post you don't want to read.

I woke up this morning, as you're asleep you don't get any pain killers. I woke up in agony. I can't talk or open my mouth wide. I've had my pain killers but so far haven't had much of an effect. As I was unable to open my mouth wide, I had to have soluble painkillers rather than tablets.

As I didn't expect this, I recommend you to stick with solubles and get use to it!

It's strange really, a fresh open wound doesn't hurt as much as when the wound actually starts to heal?

I was sent home earlier today with the same medication as I believe I had in hospital (Though not my first dosage of pain killers, that was morphine).

The first lot of medication (1 tablet) I had when I got home took the pain off for an hour to two. I was in pain a bit afterwards as I wasn't due to my tablet and I didn't want to overdose. The second lot of medication, I had 2 tablets instead of 1 (instructions says this is safe) - this was around 1.5 hours ago and the pain has not eased.

I was also told to have chewing gum, this increases the saliva reproduce rate and helps encourage swallowing. Apparently helps the healing too. I believe this eased the pain a TINY bit but not much.

The forth day is apparently the worst. Stay tuned, it's going to be a bumpy ride!

This is the third day, I've pretty much just woken up. My tablets are due in like... 10 minutes, maybe just over.

The throats nervous system is connected with the ears. So it feels like throat pain and ear pain. I know it's just the throat but it really is awful. I thought yesterday was bad but no - that was easy compare to today.

I need immediate cuddles. :-(

The Diclofenac tablets are fine. That's 28 / 4 which is 9.3 days supply. Should be okay but for my co-codomal, take no more than 8 a day. I only have 30, that's 30 / 8 which only leaves 3.75 days supply. If I had gone with 4 a day, it would of been 7.5 days supply. I've had to cut down to 4 a day and suffer with the pain.

Someone please drug me on morphine and send me to sleep.

The tablets are fine, I'll be a bit low on sunday (6 on sunday) but I'm getting more on monday.

However, I'm ... I feel like I'm dying. I have a sore chest, sore stomach, sore legs - It's like my immune system is completely destroyed. I'm worried that this is something bad like an allergic reaction.

Swallowing water, unlike the previous days - is proven to be a struggle. In fact, tears start to build in my eyes each time I try. If tomorrow is worse - I won't be able to drink at all. I will have no choice but to be drugged so strongly I can't feel pain at all.

This is the 4th day. My body pain isn't so bad - I may of just had a rough nights sleep before.

I woke up with no ear pain unlike yesterday, I was able to swallow my tablets - overall, the pain isn't so bad.

However, this could be 1 of two things: The pain is easing or I'm just having a good day and it'll be worse tomorrow.

I hope it's the pain easing!

The pain increases later on through the day. It's gone back to the awful ear aching pain.

Legend
Thanks a lot for experience sharing. We hope other members will benefit from your tonsilectomy experience.

I was confident I filled out a few paragraphs yesterday to update my progress... maybe it failed to post.

It's been 6 days since my last post, day 7 was by far the worst. Swallowing liquids hurt, I was literally afraid to eat. However, soup was manageable just uncomfortable and if aten too fast - will sting as it is a liquid.

The worst fear was the pain killers, dissolvable Co-Codomal. How in earth could I drink it when I couldn't drink liquids? I ended up refusing to take them and got myself hold of Paracetamals. Same dosage as the Co-Codomal only without the added Codeine. I was able to drink a tiny sip, enough to swallow a tablet with a small amount of stinging from the liquids. These do work well with my pain, though I believe in the early stages of post-op it may of not been enough pain relief.

I tried numerous things, Smoothies - being very yummy, yet a liquid - did sting my throat. I was literally drying out and getting panicky every time my ears started to sting from liquids. (I HATE EAR ACHES!) - though I did try Jelly, when chewed up it's almost like a liquid so it does keep your mouth moist but I just ate it normally, it did the job.

The pain now (day 10), when my throat is dry it'll hurt a bit. Liquids sting but I'm able to drink more than before - and increasing. I can eat most foods, some will attack the throat but nothing that doesn't ease down within an hour or two.

Yawning, before stung. It was like ripping my throat to pieces - now it feels sore but not a ripping sore. Still wish it never happened though.

Seriously, it was like a sudden painful day - to a pretty painless day. Took me by suprise!

- Tip: Eat. Eat solids regardless. As soon as I started eating properly on day 8, it was like healing just came fast. Eating rougher foods will decrease the risk of secondary infection. A secondary infection is 10x more painful, also may require a drip if you are unable to swallow as the swelling is also worse!

- Tip: Sleep upright, the lower your head is, the faster the blood will rush to it - causing pain on the tonsil wounds and the ears.

Anyone can cope with days like today, it's not bad at all whilst the throat is moist - only now I have a new problem, stomach cramps! This may be due to lack of food for a week or it could be something else like IBS. I won't discuss that here.

I'll post an update if anything dramatic happens - if not, I'll post an update when I'm almost fully healed. Giving you a idea of how long it'll take for you to heal.

- Bare in mind, my experience will not be the same for you - but it may be similar so be prepared for the pain.

Legend
Yes, you probably submitted your post a day before but we experienced some database issues and posts posted on April 13-15 are damaged or lost. Just re-post it again. Thanks.

14th day post-op and I am able to eat anything with no pain! When the throat is dry, it is a bit sore. I still have some scabs remaining but only a couple stubborn ones. I can't have anything acid yet, I tried strawberry Jam and yes it has citric acid! It hurt a bit, but it eased away when I drank water (seems to clear the wound?)

I can drink fizzy pop too!