Dear Medical Professional,

I am an 18 year old, attending a prestigous university and I'm afraid of what my actions may have done....I have been on Birth Contorl (the pill, Marvelon to be exact) for 10 months)....I've recently just had sex..and am now extremley worried about whether or not I could be Pregnant (which is really not an option for me)....I had my period (or rather withdrawal bleed a week before I had sex the first time)...so i had taken 3 days of active pills and then had sex the following morning...you should know that 1) he had previously ejactulated 2 hours before hand due to manual stimulation, we took a nap and when we woke up, thats when we had sex...2) no condom was present, and 3) it was only 5 minutes without any ejaculation, just pre-cum.....and then the sunday following, we also had sex...this time 1) nothing happened prior, we just both woke up 2) condom was on for a section and 3) again, no ejaculation.....I now have 10 active pills left to take before the week of withdrawal bleeding occurs, (btw my bleed always occurs on the wed)..BUT IM GOING CRAZY...i keep getting sharp pains in my ovaries and Im really freaking out, and like I dont know what to do....what do you think my chances are?...As well, I take my pill within 15 min of the time and everyday, I never forget....PLEASE HELP.

Hi there! Well according to your story I wouldn't say you're pregnant. But a simple pregnancy test would solve the question. We all get frightened after our first intercourse, but there's no reason for you to go crazy, as you've said. The most important thing is to take your pill regularly. As for the sharp pains in your ovaries, you could be ovulating late. That is usually the reason for ovaries to hurt. Each month your ovaries switch off and so you might only feel the pain on one side and next month it will be right side's turn. I usually only feel my left ovary. But I would have it checked out if it lasts more than two/three days. And don't tell me you don't want to be looked at "down there". If it's your first time you can always look for a female gynecologist, to make the first time easier. I hope this will help you and you'll get better soon. And good luck with your studies! :-)

Hey April,

thank you so very much for responding...you've def made me feel a lot better...I suppose I got really anxious about this, I am still a little bit, but thank you so much for taking the time to respond...i just, went on google and searched a bunch of sites, and it freaked me out that some ladies said they got pregnant while on the pill and using a condom....but anyways, thank you so much....

You're welcome! I know you've read all kind of stories but I think you can find a lot more stories where ladies are complaining about not being able to have kids. I repeat, it's not that easy to get pregnant, trust me. I know you're still young, and you don't have much experience with that, I've been there too... Have you done the pregnancy test? Just do it, so you can focus on your studies. :-)

Hey April, thanks again for continuing to comment on this post...and no I haven't taken the test yet, I still have four days of the active pill to ingest and then wait...i should get my period in exactly a week..so i guess Im just going to have to wait...and ill let you know what happens. It just scares me that people say birth control pills sometimes don't work..or the super crazy stories of women that use both the pill and condom and bam...child....scary stuff...I recently told my boyfriend my fears and he told me he would be with me through anything...i just would rather avoid this all together....but thanks again...the only thing that scares me is the weird cramping and this past month ive been feeling more nasueated then usual (stress?...my overthinking it? haha)...