I have gained about 20 pounds PER month for the past 8 months for absolutely no reason. I just keep increaseing by the day. There is a song called (Larger than life) and I am sure that the person who wrote that song knew that there was someone out there heading that way. Imagine 160 pounds (Approx. 48kg) in 8 months. I went to my family physician last week and told them I've had it there is something wrong in my body. They are just not listening to me, they need to do something about it 'cause a good motivated change in way of living like a rabbit, you know the leaffy and raw carrot way, doesn't work. If they don't help me I will get 20 people and I will walk into every chemist in South Africa and buy all the stupid appetite supressants that you can and I will just increase the dosages as I need to but without food I will then stay. They now know that I am serious and that there is something wrong in my body, so the doctor suggested I get tested for Sleap Apnea. Do yourself a favour and do some research on sleap apnea and I can almost give you my word most of you will find your problem there. I Did a lot of research, it's well worth the effort. And for the record Sleap Apnea is not when you dont get enough sleap.

Sleap Apnea researcher

ar any of u dibetic? i am an my rummy blow up or out has a gastroligic say my tummy stoped working and i need a tummy pase maker!

***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed

also helps for manyother things also using now for weightloss!

hope this helps...... :!: :!: :!:

All of you should check into food allergies, esp. gluten intolerance. I had the same thing. I had always been a beanpole. Had the hardest time cracking 100lbs, just naturally thin. Then all of a sudden, out of the blue, I put on about 20lbs and mostly all in my midsection. My stomach looked at *least* 6months pregnant. After 8 weeks of a gluten-free diet, I went right back down. When I get lazy and start flubbing up, it happens again. It's called Celiac Disease. If all else fails, look into this.

I am 62 years old.  I have been gaining weight continually from the time I turned 50.  I went from 150 at 55 to 225 at 62.  Still gaining.  I live in assisted living.  I eat only at mealtime.  I do not snack, unless they bring me one.  I don't sneak food.  I have no food in my room.  I'll admit, I am not as active as I once was.  My health is more of a cause of that than anything else.  I am on oxygen.  My friends won't let me do any exercise.  They think I have become some kind of invalid.  I am trying to fight against that.  I live in a house with an upstairs.  I want to walk uipstair, they won't let me.  They do allow me to walk downstairs but I just don't think that is enough.  I have the urge to run up the stairs like I always have before.  I just don't want to get any of the staff in trouble doing that. 

Hi i have been putting on weight 4 a while now cannot fit in 2 my clothes. i look pregnant bout 7months pregnant but im def not.Doctors make u feel like c**p!dont take u seriously and want u out their office as fast as poss(i dread goin 2 see em)The reason none of the doctors cannot fix u is cos they r looking in the wrong department! we are being poisoned by something i dont know what it is but i do know its either in the food?water?milk?i just wish i knew how 2 test then may b we might get 2 bottom of it.There r too many people with the same symptoms.People goin to docs with same none discript illnesses and doctors say they dont have a clue and even worse doctors makin u feel as tho u complainin over nothin!when u know theres somethin seriously wrong!If u ask about your friends and work mates u will then see how common its getting and u cannot tell me that the doctors dont know whats goin on?They know somethings wrong yet they are not saying anythin!l they had loads of patients goin in with same probs.Theres something strange going on and it needs somebody 2 investigate it.

Please get a blood test to check for ovarian cancer asap.

I also had rapid unexplained weight gain, about 25 lbs on my otherwise consistent 125 lb frame in about two months. I was also exhausted and generally feeling unwell. Gain was restricted to my abdomen primarily. After my physician ruled out liver disease (and every other thing) and dismissed me with a birth control pill even though I had a subclinically high thyroid read, I took myself to an endocrinologist. Turns out I have Hashimotos thyroiditis and my metabolism was at a practical stop. I'm now on medication, a protein shake diet, taking probiotics and supplements and I'm down to about 135 lbs. But man I got sick of the run-around I got before I was finally diagnosed.

what is the medicine called?? please let me know! im 21 years old and i used to be under weight everyone thought i was sick because i would never gain weight... but now im 21 and i have gained alomst about 20 pounds in a year and i feel like i keep gaining weight. im not on any kinds of pills i am not sexualy active.. everytime i work out my stomach statrs hurting alot and feels bloated.. the pain lasts about 45mins to a hour. i am also constipated, i ALWAYS get tired.. io get tired more then my parents. Random parts of my body hurt.. i get burises on my legs, my knee joint has been hurting like like 2 weeks now randomly and my neck has been stiff for like 3 weeks i get pain in like ransom places.. i really want to work out and lose all the weight but i really cant get my stomach hurts so much! i went to the daughter she told me to get my blood test and urnie test taken so im going to do that but im kind of scared

Are you still having this problem cause urs sounds exactly like mine

I've been 102 lbs all my life, healthy except I am hypothyroid. I only gained 10 lbs and since on medication that 10lbs came off. Fast forward 3 years. Out of nowhere my abdomen puffed up. Normal waistline was 27 inches. Now it is 44 inches but the rest of my body is still thin. When I walked into my doctor's office she said "Something is wrong" She has tested me with everything! CT of Lungs CT adrenal (benigne 1cm mas) 24 hour urine test showed all normal for adrenal so no cushing and stuff associated with that. Liver normal Gallbladder normal Spleen normal Not menopausal Antibodies tested and normal every mineral and vitamin was tested...low on D and B-12, been taking 5000 iu a day, and active form of b-12 for over a year now. Ultra sound on pelvic area and MRI all normal Parathyroid gland tested, normal Pituitary tested, Normal Heart Ultra Sound, Normal Colonoscopy Normal Endoscope Normal I am constipated but doctor had me take a cap full of mirlax once a day, so I'm pretty empty but still big No allergies Gluten free diet did nothing I eat once a day, dinner, small portions. Green ice teas/Decaf and water My doctor knows something is wrong but she has tested me for everything and has no clue. She saw with her own eyes how fast the weight came on. It happened between a two week visit to see her. She is as freaked out about it as I am. She even tested my blood for cancer NOTHING and I mean NOTHING can be found for the cause. Our water source is well. We buy 5 gallon of water jugs for drinking, cooking. I believe there is some type of unknown bug. When this started to happen I spoke with my mom and sister to explain to them what is going on. They too out of nowhere is going through it also. I use to smoke cigs but quit after this started. I wonder how many that is experience this smoked. Could there be a new additive to cigs that is toxic to our body? Could it be a food source that is causing this? It is more then that older woman midsection weight gain! How do you go from 27 inches to 44 inches in a two week period? My weight is 132 lbs. I'm gaining a few pounds every week. I'm not eating more calories...as a matter of fact for the last 5 months I have added fruit for me to eat in the morning, yogurt for lunch, and salad for dinner added sometimes pasta or something small. I would like answers, and so would my doctor.

Hi, I have the exact same symptoms as you described. I am also terrified of this sudden weight gain. At first, when I asked around about sudden weight gain I was told it was because I hit 38, and they said my metabolism must have dropped. But I immediately started watching what I ate, calorie counting and extra excersize, but I ended up GAINING weight, close to 15 pounds in 3 weeks, anyway. and its ALL in my stomach!! no where else, so whats the deal??  I have always been about 120 pounds, give or take 5 pounds, since I was in my early 20's. Then in the last 6 months gained close to 30 pounds now, all in my stomach. I see you have had all the tests which is what I am about to begin, but the doctor does not want to run them for me, he seems to not believe or understand what I am trying to tell him. I'm not making it up, even my brothers and my husband agree that I gained it quickly and only in my stomach, and they know I have been watching my diet and excersizing. Have you had any answers yet? Or can you tell me how to get the doctor to run all the tests for me? It seems many women are asking these same questions and are having this same issue.

It is so refreshing to see that I am not the only person in the world suffering with this. Most of the posts were years ago, but I see that at least a few were more recent. Hopefully people will continue to check in here.
I think I’ve got an idea of what’s going on with me, it may be the same thing that’s happening with others as well. My stomach distention started a year and a half ago, after a week-long camping trip in the desert. Prior to that trip, I had been in the best shape of my life. I’m 5’3.5” and was about 110 lbs. I was heavy into weight training and had great muscle tone and was very happy w/what I saw in the mirror. When I got back from the trip, I was about 116 and couldn’t get the weight to budge. I had noticeable bloat in my belly, and also on my inner thighs as well.
4 months later I discovered the Paleo diet and cut out gluten, processed sugar and legumes (I was already eating a very clean diet, no processed foods). The bloating did not improve.
I started researching like crazy. Over the next year, I diagnosed myself with a candida overgrowth. Candida is a naturally occurring yeast in your body. Many things can cause it to get out of hand, including antibiotic use, a crappy diet and stress. All of those were factors for me during my camping trip, and so it seemed to make sense, especially as candida can cause bloating.

I went on an anti-candida diet and ate very little carbs, cut out alcohol and all forms of sugar, including fruit and starchy vegetables (potatoes, carrots, etc.). I also did some fasting. 3 weeks later and I was down to 112 lbs! (I had been about 118 when I started the diet). I thought that I had figured out my problem and I was elated. Then I went on vacation and started having a few drinks again, and eating a little bit less cleanly. I gained back a few pounds, but nothing crazy. Then I went back on the anti-candida diet and it didn’t work at all. I was unable to lose any of the weight.

I started to suspect that I had Leaky Gut (your intestinal barrier becomes permeable and lets bits of undigested food through, which your immune system sees as invaders and mounts an immune response). I went on the GAPS diet to address it. It starts off very strict, so that I was only eating home made broth and meat w/very few vegetables. I had gotten up to 121 lbs. prior to starting it, and after 5 weeks was down to 115. Again, I thought I had found the source of my problem. Then Thanksgiving came around and I went off of the diet. When I went back on it a few days later, it no longer worked, just like my experience with the anti-candida diet.

During the time frame of the first year, I saw 3 alternative health doctors (I lost faith in Western medicine long ago), including a Naturopath. None of them were of any help. I started to suspect that perhaps my thyroid was the issue and that maybe my hormones were out of whack. I scheduled an appointment with a holistic MD who specializes in natural thyroid and hormone treatment. Holistic doctors look at the body as a whole system, and recognize that symptoms only indicate that there is something else going on in the bigger picture. That was the best move that I’ve made to date. He started me off with LOTS of lab work, including extensive blood work and a stool analysis. The blood work showed that I was deficient in a couple of B vitamins, and a little on low end for thyroid (T3), but not enough to warrant treatment. My hormone levels were great.
The really interesting results were from the stool analysis. It showed that I did NOT have an issue with candida as I’d suspected, but it detected a parasite that they were unable to identify. My doctor called the lab to get more information about it, but they said that it is a common result, and it could just be a transient, harmless parasite that would just work its way through my system eventually. So at first I wrote it off as nothing. Then I got curious and started researching the result online, and it turns out that there are a lot of people who have received this result and who are definitely experiencing symptoms, some of them quite severe. There is actually an online forum that was created by someone who received this result and has been sharing their research and treatment experiences.

I now feel quite certain that this unidentified parasite is the cause of my extremely distended abdomen. I have a few other symptoms of parasite infection as well, including fatigue and brain fog. I am also suffering from depression, but I believe that has more to do with the uncontrolled weight gain and feelings of hopelessness that I experience quite often lately.

I have nothing to lose by trying an anti-parasitic program. I have also ordered an additional stool testing kit from another laboratory that looks specifically for parasites which the bigger labs may miss. Treatment will be much easier if I can identify the parasite. Although I understand that false negatives are common, and it’s probably a good idea to go ahead and treat for parasites based on symptoms, even if lab work comes back negative.

For anyone else who stumbles across this thread and has the same symptoms, I highly recommend getting tested for parasites. You can order the GI Effects Complete profile from Metametrix through your doctor. You can also order it by yourself, without going through a doctor, but it will cost more. It was $99 for me through my doctor.

I’m now up to about 124 lbs. I’ve stopped weighing myself because all it does is make me depressed. I have outgrown all of my clothes. I bought a few new pairs of pants recently and I’ve gone up about 3 sizes. I hate getting dressed to leave the house. I’ve stopped being social because I feel so uncomfortable in my body. The weight is almost all in my lower stomach, though my butt and upper thighs have also gotten bigger. I used to look almost normal first thing in the morning, the bloating wasn’t so bad then. But my stomach would start distending with absolutely anything that I ate or drank, including water! I’ve weighed myself before and after taking my morning supplements with about half a cup of water and my weight goes up by about a pound and a half. By the time I get home from work in the evening, I easily look about 8 months pregnant. Lately the distended stomach is there even first thing in the morning. Even when I fast now, the bloat is still there. It’s becoming increasingly difficult to find clothes to hide my stomach. My friends are baffled, because they all still think that I look skinny, because aside from my stomach, I am still a normal size.
I know for a fact that this is water weight. About a year ago I took Vyvanse (basically sustained release Adderall) for ADD for a few months. It stripped off almost all of the water weight and I was happy with my body again. Then it started to make my hair fall out and I had to stop taking it. All of the water weight ended up coming back within a few weeks of stopping the medication.

I sympathize with anyone going through this. It has stripped me of my self-esteem and has caused some crippling depression. I’m working on being kind to myself and loving myself despite not liking what I see in the mirror. It’s not easy. Some days I don’t want to get out of bed and I have ended up missing a lot of work, in addition to spending lots of money on doctors, supplements and lab work. I’m not ready to give up yet though.

Becareful with foods that contain hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated oil. Your body cannot process it and it is the leeding cause for diabetes,circulatory problems that effect the heart and arteries,andbweight gain. You need to have cq10 vitamin to process this. Liquorish and tufo will increase your estrogen naturally,lavender too.everything in moderation and eat as clean and naturally as possible.yoga will elongate your muscles and help with lymphatic circulation and might be a good idea to try as an Excersize. Tanning beds increase testasterone u might want to avoid it. Check your thyroid and see a doctor if another symptoms are involved with your weight gain.

I have something and I am going crazy. 5 pounds in 5 days! Plus I put 5 on before that. I can't fit into my clothes or even my uniform for work. I am going to sched a doc appt. Please help!

Have you had your thyroid levels checked? Hypothyroidism (underactive thyroid) can cause sudden, and significant, weight gain, extreme fatigue, depression, etc. Medication is very inexpensive, with no side effects, and regulates most thyroid issues completely. Most likely you will need to be on the medicaiton for the rest of your life, but will need to have you blood checked every 6-12 months to make sure your dosage is still effective.