I have just had an episode of diverticulitis. is it true that Lettuce and cabbage are not good for ones diest in this case.?

I had my first bout with diverticulosis in June '07 and noticed that the cobb salad I love so much caused a flare up, Since then I have avoided salads and have just now started eating small amounts of salad. Also cole slaw caused discomfort. What meds are you taking for the flare ups?

As I know diverticulitis is an inflammation in the colon wall. This can be very painful and it should be treated as soon as possible. How long have you been having problems with this? Are you using any medication right now? Do you take any antibiotics? I think your should avoid all foods at first, and only drink water. Your colon needs to get back to normal and you should be able to eat with no problems after this. However some cases need surgery and this is something that only doctor can tell you. So you would need to see him if your pain is permanent. Cabbage as much as I know is good for bowel problems and won’t cause you problems.

Almost every time I eat a salad, especially large, I have a flare up.