Hello everyone,

I have been dealing with acne for a while now and would like to try to treat it as naturally as possible, but I DO want to see an improvement. When you look around what people recommend, one of the things that does tend to come up is an oatmeal face mask. It is not just for acne, also to make your face soften and more even-toned, so I'm wondering who here might have tried this oatmeal face mask already and whether it really works or if it's just another of those things that does not really work.

TIA :)

Celebrity

Oatmeal face masks sound a bit weird to the uninitiated for sure, but they actually have plenty of benefits for all skin types, starting with the nourishing and exfoliating properties. For the sensitive skin (like mine!), oatmeal masks act soothingly, reducing inflammation, dryness, and itchiness. For the oily and acne prone skin, it helps kill bacteria and acts as a cleanser. In fact, oats can act as a blotting sheet of sorts, absorbing some of that excess sebum. I personally use oats in combination with honey and can assure you that it helps my tricky face feel good :).

Rosie

I do not have personal experience with using oatmeal facial masks for acne, but I do have a friend who swears by them. She mixes the oatmeal in with honey as Rosie also mentions, so I am sure that is a recipe from the web, I am not exactly how it is done but it is all home-made. The oats and honey both are meant to reduce inflammation. Of course honey is anti-bacterial as well. And the oats work as an exfoliant removing skin cells that have already died off and opening the pores.

In short, it makes logical sense that oatmeal facial masks are really good for the skin. I got to say that the thought does not sounds very appealing but that is a different matter.

OK, I would be happy if someone could give me an honest review of this. Exactly what do you put in an oatmeal face mask, where did you find the recipe or did you make your own, and exactly what are the steps you go through to create the oatmeal mask?  How long are you meant to leave it on? How do you wash it off?

Finally but most importantly, I would like to see the OP answered too. Of course putting something on my face and then washing it off will make my face feel fresh by the end because of the washing and moisturizing that happens after. But does oatmeal have a benefit that is... actually real?

Hey, in winter I often have porridge for breakfast and I suppose I would like to try this because it is in the house already and it is very good in the belly and it might do some good to the face as well. It is worth a try. It is cheap enough that I don't care if it doesn't work. So, what do I do? Do I just stick porridge on my face or what? Or are you meant to use it raw, the oats? If you can give me some instructions then I will give this a go and will let you know what the outcome is. Win, win, I say.

Do oatmeal face masks work?

After reading about them somewhere on the internet (of course, where else?) I just had to try this out for myself. Nothing to lose, right? Yeah, quite right. As far as whether these home made masks made a noticeable difference to my skin or even just made it feel nice and fresh, I can say no they didn't. I tried a few times and nope, no visible or tangible benefits.

For me? Never again. Waste of time.

Oatmeal has some unique benefits for your skin that should be considered. Not only is it hypo-allergenic, which is very important, it also actually offers your skin 18 different amino acids. Not to mention that oatmeal is a great exfoliant!!!! All skin types depend on regular exfoliation for optimal health, and oatmeal makes a great ingredient in any skin mask. Mind, though, that oatmeal is not hydrating in itself. I have heard of people using this in combination with avocado, which seems to make the most sense, but also honey, which is antibacterial and so makes a great option for people who are suffering from acne.