So, I recently bought The Japanese Skincare Revolution by Chizu Saeki. This book is full of great tips and has really given me the confidence that I can look as great as she does into my 60s and beyond! For me though, the 3 minute lotion masks tip was the best. I have suffered from very dry skin for a long time and it was so bad that I kept on spreading moisturizer onto my skin 5, 6 times a day to no avail. 

The 3 minute mask technique really helped me. You soak cotton pads that you have torn apart into thin layers in water and lotion until completely saturated. Only leave it on for 3 minutes so that it does not evaporate. It has made an amazing difference to my skin. 

You can buy the book or find descriptions in videos all over the internet. Amazing technique, must try! 

Ah, that's interesting, thanks for sharing. I noticed that though I have not read the book, many people are discussing these three minute masks on the internet. The general idea is that it takes around three minutes for the skin to absorb the lotion, after which, if you were to leave the mask in place any longer, the cotton would simply reabsorb the moisture. That is a fascinating idea. I am still wondering what "lotion" to use though, since it is not clearly defined on the pages that I have read. Do you have any tips to offer perhaps? Thanks!

Hi, I'm not the person you asked this question and I actually haven't tried this method yet (but want to), and I have come across the tip of using Shiseido's Hydro Nourishing Softener for this three minute lotion mask. The person who gave that tip already loved that product and said it was so much better when combined with the three minute lotion technique. This made me conclude that basically, any toner or moisturizer you already love and use will work with this technique, Shiseido is wonderful of course but also a bit on the expensive side. I am thinking I will try this out with my regular moisturizer and just see what happens.

Celebrity

This is confusing to me too. I did look the three minute lotion mask up on the internet because of this thread (had never heard of it before) and I am not sure what lotion to use either, or even what the word lotion really means. I'm also not sure what kind of cotton you should use, and though bloggers mention that the kind you use is crucial, they do not go into much detail. Is this one of those tightly kept secrets for which you simply must buy the book? I love a good tip, but I am not interested in buying the book right now.

Rosie

You can do this with a toner. A good toner is definitely a lotion according to Saeki's definition. Essentially, these 3 minute lotion masks are very much like the sheet masks that are popular all over Asia, except they are a lot cheaper. If you would like to find out exactly how to use these masks, head over to YouTube and look for instructions... they are there. Used right, these masks can be a quick and easy boost for your skin that you will grow to love and use over and over again. The book is very useful but you don't need to buy it to make use of this technique.

Thanks for this! I had actually read about these 3 minute lotion masks, perhaps through Facebook? I don't remember, but I recall thinking that I should try this and then forgot all about it. So you've reminded me now, I'll bookmark this page for now, and I'll try it out as soon as I can. I'm still not sure what type of cotton sheets are meant to be used for this mask. Is there anyone who can explain that part to me, perhaps? I really want this to work for me.

You can use any time of high-quality cotton, just separate the layers out as much as possible. As for lotion, that is really a toner. You can use products like the ones made by the brand BEYOND, like the Aqua Bloom Toner or the Minimum Toner Sensitive. It is amazing how much better your skin feels after those three minutes. After you are done, you can use your favorite serum and your skin will feel and look absolutely beautiful.

Celebrity
Thank you for sharing that. I now have something to work with. I have dry and sensitive skin and though I normally try to stick to natural products only, if this technique could boost my moisture levels in a matter of minutes, I am willing to try. I woke up again with dry flaky bits on my cheeks and nose this morning. It is always like this, no matter what I seem to use, and I am very eager to try something that has a working shot at helping me out here. I am going to look for these products right now.

Rosie

Three minute lotion masks work for me as well! When you get busy and generally overwhelmed with life and you don't have time to look after your body properly, your skin starts looking dull and tired and unhealthy. What should you do when you don't have time to go to the spa for a proper facial or even spend lots of time pampering your skin at home? Enter three minute lotion masks. Your skin can find revitalization within a matter of minutes, and no matter how busy I am, I can always find three minutes! This is an awesome technique for busy people.

The difference between creams and lotions is that creams are much thicker. Lotions are thin and come in a bottle or have a pump. Lotions are great for deeper moisturizing right after having a shower, and are best applied on damp skin. That is why these three minute lotion masks are so good. All you need to do is look for things that are actually called lotions, rather than messing around with thick creams because that won't work. They don't mix well with water, but lotions do. Hope that helps.

I used normal garden variety cotton pads from the store for my 3 minute mask, just separated out into as many layers as possible, and it worked fine for me even though I was unsure whether I was using the right pads. So my tip is stop obsessing over whether you are using the right product and just try it out. I used a light lotion that I happened to have around and that too worked fine. My face looked mush fresher afterward and I am planning on doing it again.