My friend David has has schizophrenica for 42 years. He lost his eyesight 20years ago.. Just a months ago he and I would sit on his porch and talk for hours,, now all of a sudden he has trouble with his speech,, I can't understand what he says at times and then at other times he is fine. Why is this?

Well let me say this. My sister has had this terrible problem paranoid schizophrenia since she was 19 yrs old. She is 69 now. She has been in a mental hospital twice in that amount of time of her life. She still refuses to believe she is sick, she thinks her fear of someone trying to kill her is real. She is on medication and has been for 50 yrs. The last 10 yrs she has been getting worse. In this I mean more frequent episodes. Hearing the voices wanting to kill her. She always has had this happen now and then, but maybe once in 10 yrs. Dr. changes or ups the medication dose and she gets better. Three yrs ago she had a bad episode, they upped her meds. All it did was make her almost like a zombie but still functional only at a slow.....pace. Well she just had another one. She told me she has been dealing with the voices for a yr now. The Doctor upped her meds again, so I wonder if she will be able to function at all now. My point is this. She is getting worse and hearing the voices more and more often. So stick that in your educational hat and tip it to Brown and Barlow. No offense intended, but sometimes things look good on paper, but not how things are in the real world.

My sister has had this for 50 years. It has gotten worse over that time. I am glad your family member seems to be doing better, it is not the case for my sister. She has never been able to accept the fact that she even has it, and continues to think this is real. It seems to be someone from her past who she says wants her dead and his wife too. She thinks this person has money and has paid the police off and every one to get to her. It is frustrating. Her fear is real. The episodes are happening more often and are more sever with each time. Dr. keeps upping her medication. But it doesn't last long. A year at the most now. So not every one gets better with time.

I solely disagree with your response. I have an uncle who was diagnosed with schizophrenia at the age of eighteen and now he is fifty three years old. As he has gotten older his condition has worsened throughout his lifespan. He is in the most debilitating state now with no means to recover. I have watched him over the years and schizophrenia is a very debilitating disorder
with the later years of prognosis being very grim.

I'm sorry. No it is not normal for anyone to always want to be high or sniff gas. I have schizophrenia and I can tell you that the last thing you need to throw on top of of it is brain damage. Sniffing gas is lethal. You need to get tuned in as a parent and stop her self-destructive behavior and get her involved in the community and activities which are goal oriented. Most times, children, teens, and adults are getting high because they are bored. Other times, they are trying to escape their environment. Have you talked to her concerning the way others treat her or tried to find out if she is being bullied? Be a parent for crying out loud and don't you ever use her schizophrenia as an excuse to brush off deeper issues that might be lying just underneath the surface!

I highly agree with you, my mother who suffered from schizophrenia onset 29 yrs of age had positive symptoms, but now she does everything on her own only few negative symptoms of disorganized schizophrenia and she never took medications, shes 55 years now. She displayed memory loss catatonic symptoms some times sorry if i did not spell it correctly. but usually only talks about the past a lot and changes her topics. Not one positive symptom of hallucinations or delusions with time and without the harmful medications, which she always refused cause it made her bodily movements stiff and other side effects. I am so happy about your achievement on Masters in the field.

He probably has disorganized schizophrenia

Y'all need to Baker act him when he's acting whacky or marchman act him don't let him kill himself , my boyfriend talks about nutty stuff as well such as mj is the purest drug, alcohol I reminded him was a drug and also a naturally occurring drug and he dam near jumped off the road in a rage!!. That night he got so drunk he was obtained by the county unit and detoxed and they gave him treatment and yes hunny he was not compliant so Mr schizophrenia had to take his meds or he was going to stay longer @time out. So please Baker or marchman act your loved one he will be okay and he will be sane when he gets out because they can come back .!!

my son was ten year old when he dignosit with schizaphrania he is 19 now in do very good he do not drink are do drugs thank god for that iso sorry that you and you,er daugther having a hard time this illness changes you,er wholes life .

Sometimes bad effects of drugs cause problems like this that must be prevented.

Our son has had schizoeffective disorder for 7 years. He is 35 and in a mental hospital because he refuses to take meds. He was put on conservatorship by our county and gets more resources. But he has rotting teeth because he refuses to brush them. He lives as if he was homeless and sells any new clothes to get cigarettes. He learned how to smoke in a mental hospital when they were giving out free cigarettes. He is now terribly addicted to them and will do anything to get another one.

I agree --- and, in the case of my husband, our family was destroyed because of his refusal to take medication and get treatment - no one can force treatment if the individual doesn't want it ----- I know -- I tried and tried - went through the court system after he broke the law and no one can force treatment if the person refuses. This illness destroyed my family emotionally and financially.......my husband is dangerous and consistently and constantly delusional.........and wants nothing to do with any of us. Until you have experienced this in your own family --- you have no idea.......

Thank you for saying that! #familymemberofsomeoneeffected

Schizophrenia disease is one that you must take serious as soon as you notice sign. I'm 33 and my ex spouse is 34 now. 4 years ago he had a major breakdown. (Psychotic episode ) things that he was telling me didn't make any sense. I felt that I lost the man I once in love with. I begged him to go to crisis for help he was given perphenazine. After taking it for two weeks he was himself again. Do to the side effect he chose to quit and feel that he don't need to be on meds. It was a nightmare everything got 10x worst. Our family got distance we got 3 kids and kids couldn't even be near him. I got accused of cheating I was no longer wanted. Our family got destroyed. After 10 years being together meant nothing to him. He continue to talk to himself rapidly. Chose to live alone. He lost trust in his family. He gets along better with others then the people that's close to him. This disease us horrifying. He refuse to be on meds, indenial. Will he get better without being on meds? Will he ever love me and the kids again? Can someone out there help me answer my question. With him living alone I he said he's getting better but in my eyes he's only getting worst. We've been apart for quite sometime now I still love him and think it will never change. But I'm so scared to be around him. What should I do?

If he won't get treatment, then he won't change. It's really that simple. I'm sorry that you feel he's a danger to you. But he's really not the same person that you think you know. It doesn't go away. They hear voices, and they get very physical too. As a woman against a man, you need to be careful and protect yourself and your kids. Without medication, it will not go away. There's also a shot I heard about that you take once a month that seems to work in terms of medicine. If you feel you must, you just need to somehow get him to go to the psychiatric hospital with you and once they interview him they'll see for themselves and just admit him. You can tell him whatever you want like you have a doctors appointment so he doesn't get suspicious. But that will only be short term, because once he leaves the hospital he will just stop taking his medicine and will start bugging out again. I know I see it happen all the time. If he doesn't trust you or love you enough then I'm sorry but you may just have to accept it. And I am sorry for your children's sake too, be careful of the way you allow your children to perceive him. After all they are young and impressionable.