I agree 100% with what you said

My father is 42, suffers from addiction, but nevertheless has the same problem. He just always wants to be high, I can't say that it's normal for us but it may be normal to them. We won't ever be able to be on their level, all we can do is be there. Love them unconditionally.

I am a 52 year old woman, who was diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia at age 15. I am on for medications two of which are olanzapine and pristiq amitriptyline and xanax I have panic attacks all the times well as hallucinations. I feel hopeless like there's no hope for me now because I'm older and it doesn't get better.

No most people with schizophrenia do not do drugs some can even hide their condition and act normal sometimes even working for years hiding symptoms, The drugs could be causing her to get paranoid and psychosis and be something completely different if they are trying to self medicate that is the wrong way to go considering a lot of drugs can increase the illness. My mom has Schizophrenia and she believes people come in the house and attack her and demand money from her and all sorts of fantasies that never even really happen and she fully believes these dreams as like they where real life and will argue if question them about it It is like her mind has a whole other dream world that she believes in almost like they need constant attention.

If getting high calms the voices, it is likely that she will continue to want to get high. If she stays on the appropriate meds the voices should dull. Try and keep her on her meds.

I can't say that it is normal, however being an addictions counselor I see a lot of people with substance abuse disorders who also struggle with mental health illnesses. I have heard from several that self medicating with illicit drugs have similar effects as prescription medications, but less side effects. Of course they are not looking at the big picture. Because as we all know, the effects of substance abuse is definiately progressive, extending into every area of one's life and can potentially be fatal. I would suggest that your daughter open up to her Dr. if this is the case so that he or she can educate her on the medications and if the effects will persist. He may even decide to change it. I have seem a lot of what I call miracles, when client's are properly medicated with the right medication/s in the right dosage. And remember, the doctors aren't mind reader's. It is important that she has an open diaglog with her Psych.

For many patients, the negative symptoms can be worse than the positive symptoms. The positive symptoms are usually relieved with medication but the negative symptoms are difficult to treat and cause the most damage to the individual's life.

well gee, maybe if society stopped alienating "crazy" people maybe (just maybe) people like your friends or family would have no need to escape from this world (sitting silent for hours is called meditation/disassociating). your version of "normal" is based on acting like the faces you see on tv/internet, some people are incapable of acting like someone else (at least not for the length of time that most people act, dress and live based on what the current trend tells the masses to be like) treat them/us like any other human being and stop criticising us for being and doing what all the "normal" people in this world want to do-sooner or later everyone becomes "crazy" (usually with age and experiences/wisdom).

if this helps,my brother had schizophrenia,he got out of it after around ten years,tons of therapy and meds,but ,when he got out of it ,he did not have to take his meds anymore,he was fine,but he might be a rare case,now my son has it,and he is on meds and therapy,still has episodes and needs meds,def,it takes a lot of love and support to help them,and pray,make sure they take there meds in a nice way,and always go to there psychiatrist or therapist,always be there for them,so important,time will tell,if he gets out of it like my brother,every patient is different,heres praying for my son and your family,a very hard illness,i think one of the hardest out there,btw,my brother was happily married for 20 years until he passed,he had the best wife in the world,she was always by his side until he passed,she passed of ovarian cancer,but i hope this helps others understand your not alone,also i do know schizophrenics are very sensitive people,so always be careful with their feelings,praying for everyone on here that someone comes up with a cure for this illness

I am so sorry to hear about your son. I have been on Latuda for over a year now and it is the only medication out there that has helped me and not caused an increase in my weight or blood sugars. I've not had any relapses since I've been on it. I'm not sure if it's approved for use in kids yet, but I do know that there is a clinical trial going on right now. You may also want to check into caregiver support forums; you are right in that the disease does not always get better with time. Don't lose hope--there are a lot of us out there who need people like yourself in our corner to help us in times of need, and we have a lot to offer the world, too. I think a cure is on its way.

Not sure if anyone has answered your question yet. But getting high can actually cause the onset of the schizophrenia.

yes she will die next time she smokes pot

Hi..My son is now 25 and has been dealing with this for 7 years now. I cannot get him to seek help. Did you refuse all help?

I agree with you 100% my son was diagnosed with schizophrenia at the age of 17 nnow he's 36 years old
love taking care of my son because I know this is the best life is going to have I do think about When I'm Gone What will happen to him .Taking care of myself is the key to his llife

This is too anecdotal to be helpful in answering the question. Please don't discourage the sharing of useful information.