Rubbish, my schizophrenia has lessened with age and my mental health has improved. I have been stable for 15 years!

I am diagnosed with schizophrenia since last five years..... I smoked pot recently and I did LSD I did not hear any voices like i did before when I was diagnosed with schizophrenia..... Can I do LSD and pot on regular basis .... Will I get schizophrenia again

Unfortunately yes Imagine if you will the most horrifying experience in your life and then live it every day with no off switch and there is a voice constantly in your mind telling you to expect the worst you would want to be high too.

As a 38 year old who suffers from this I think it gets better if we get educated and have a great support system. Coping skills are crucial

Most all of the studies that I have read typically show that the patients who never took antipsychotics or only took them for a short period of time - generally always show much greater levels of recovery as opposed to patients who have taken antipsychotics over the course of their illness. Many schizophrenic individuals have been followed in longitudinal studies and in all research the individual's who allowed themselves to work through it have shown far better recovery rates without antipsychotics. Those individuals who remained on antipsychotics showed much lower rates of recovery and reported side effects resulting in disabilities such as diabetes, heart conditions to name a few. These were on second generation drugs also. Read up on the research in Finland for recovery from schizophrenia. I think as a young student headed into psychology you will find this fascinating. it sounds like you will make a good therapist - keep your eyes open and don't listen to all of the western culture ideas on healing for mentally ill.

Masters in Mental health please correct your spelling, ie, lessen over time; not lesson. Positive symptoms not possitive.

Yes it does get worse. My daughter has early onset schizophrenia and been diagnosed since age 6 and is now 12 andover time has gotten worse and worse and the psychiatrist different ones that we've talked to said she could get worse .

I live with late onset schizophrenia. My symptoms began at age 22 and I felt lost in my life with my ignorance of life skills and fears of being viewed as broken person with a broken mind. I kept it a secret and struggled with a time with learning to deal with my affliction. Some of my closest friends and family truly believed I was in drugs. It was accusall that I reasoned well maybe the drugs might help and self medicated. Let me tell you, from a hard learned truth. Drugs only appliiflied my symptoms and caused me to have a break down. Then I knew I need to seek professional help. With my paranoia I was reluctant to share what I was experiencing and in doing so delayed or prolonged my treatment options. I was afraid to tell my closetest friends and family what I was going through and learned early on how to control my reactions to my voices or mental state on the outside. I did very well methodically devoting full efforts in not allowing myself to have outbursts or to speak verbally to the voices in my head. I learned to manage myself. No I know my level of schizophrenia doesn't manafest it's self as strongly as I have seen others lose control too. But I also often think maybe my symptoms could be as strong but I have just learned to understand and accept that it's part of me. I experienced a severe trauma that induced ptsd to the mix. This broke my control and I lost my self to the schitzophrina and the ptsd symptoms in a horrible and traumatic way. It took years to retrain myself to keep in control of it all again. I never before had such difficulty in maintaining my composure. But up till that point I didn't take medications for my illness. Once I began to take the meds it seemed to level
Me back out again and even to a degree quieted my mind more than I experienced. Then a few years past and I lost my insurance coverage and the voices were back again making up for lost time. I had stop practicing my technics in control and awareness and it was the hardest struggle I had yet endured since the traumatic event. I refused to take more meds because it dulled my ability to learn control and need for awareness of what was happening when paranoia had its grip on me. But I persevered and made back to a place again that I could live with the other in my head and developed a method that challenged my paranoia. I had learned that the voices were going to be there no matter what I did. I taught myself to learn to keep up with whom was around me in my home, work, and at other various places. I looked to faces as my determining factor of if it was real or not. I would see if they were talking to me if it was a familiar voice. If it was not a known voice or my own I would kinda take mini meditation moments and tell myself that It was schizophrenia doing its thing. With paranoia I kept a small book that had names of people I knew and I would only write in it a record of good deeds and positive things I had seen these people do. Never and I mean. Ever wrote but possibly capable of this or I think that might be what their up to. It would reinforce my trust in them and helped keep paranoia at a minimum. Although I admit new people posed the biggest problems to me without really having known or experienced their characters. I missed out on a lot of good potential friends I'm sure. My methods were not perfect and for my degree of schizophrenia it worked enough. For years I was able to hide my illness. Until around age 40. Now for some reason my mind is gearing towards fixation on one problem that troubles me and I become paranoid that this person/s are against me or dislike me. I am becoming cofussed between what's real and not especially when I have a flashback or a terrible nightmare. I have become to isolate barely leaving my room. Work has become a issue as this thinking and paranoia affects my relationships with coworkers and supervisors. I think they are all to get me. I know logically that the possibility of this benign fact is unlikely but non the less I struggle with it. I have started seeing a professional for medication management by I feel paranoid they are likely not giving anything by pills that a placebos or pills that are meant to keep me catatonic and more playable. I find myself becoming more irritated and visualize hurting them to protect mySelf. I used to be able to visit sanity and stability in my regularly through out the day previously. Now I can barely hope they don't get or hurt me once a week or so. Only thing that has stuck with me is my ability to hide my manifestations and once I feel in a uncontrollable state I go isolate myself self and start talking to myself and the others in my head to calm myself down. My emotional state once amped up is nearly uncontrollable. Good news is I have surrendered to the fact I do need meds And psychiatric care now and am actively involved in treatment. There are some improvement all ready but a long road I know still lays before me. So for all the postings I see here claiming schizophrenia doesn't get worst typically. I am hear to tell you that in my case it has. I know comments will infer that my PTSD experience may at play hear in amplifying my issues. Logically that sound perfectly saine to assume that. But no matter the underlying cause it's progressed into this dibilitating illness I can not control very much longer. I have accepted my fate and haven't accepted that I will be defeated. I will adapt as I can if an when I can. The best advice i can give to a fello schitzo, learn your self and don't be afraid to accept that the symptoms. Once you surrender and allow your understanding of yourself takes hold you can begin having hope that the illness is you and you then have the power to adapt yourself into a functioning, productive human being. Hope this helps someone :)

It's all BS mental illness don't exist you lot don't even know the symptoms of the illness there is no way to prove someone has a mental illness someone's life should not depend on a doctors opinion or reasoning. I do not believe I have a mental illness and it's all lies made up because psychitrist are getting paid for it. Or even worst because there parents want to control there child they make up a illness. All of you can't even identify the symptoms, just writing random words. It's everyone's own life everyone makes there own decision people should be able to deal with the consequences. f*****g he'll get a robot if you want to control something. It's all nonsense.

I am an adult with schizophrenia and I believe it gets worse over time. I think my underlying disease is a degenerative neuro muscular condition, as I suffer from sleeping 12 hours a day, motor weakness, difficulty speaking. This society we live in allows the weak minded to die off. Some of the time it is "psychological warfare". I being of the feeble minded am more likely to die of suicide or stress. I have given up on the working world because I can't do physical labor. I take medicine by mouth to treat my symptoms, I also drink a lot of coffee and smoke cigarettes because I am short on energy. My best friend is my dad and even with him I struggle because of my symptoms. All that being said, I have a pretty good life and am glad to be alive. One thing I would tell people is try not to take out your disease or baggage on other people.

My prayers are with you. I have 2 schizophrenic brothers and I didn't really like the side effects they were having with drug medication. I did my research and found out that CBD oil helps people with schizophrenia. I got some for my brother and they said they felt more relaxed, in a better mood and calmed. Unlike how they feel with the medication they're prescribed which makes them feel empty and disconnected and makes them gain weight. CBD is natural and is been known to help people with depression and brain damage and stuff like that. Do your research and have him at least try it an see how it feels for him. Hope this help as it has help my brothers A LOT!

I have a friend who is now a senior citizen. She has had schizophrenia for all of her adult life. she has definitely, very observably deteriorated greatly in recent years. Her episodes of illness come more and more frequently, the symptoms each time are worse, and the time it takes to return to stability lengthens.

Does schizophrenia improve with age?

that is called self medication, i have a son who was smoking pot , and that will make his schizophrenia symptoms worse. I fell hopeless , since he quit pot he is much better, almost normal actually talking about going back to school. good luck

Not to make your afraid, but my schizophrenic could help but get in trouble with the law and the legal system is slow to recognize it. So if you have hospitalized him or has Doctor visits, document whatever you or him has got care. That way you can establish his illness before hand. If it's a legal issue it will ensure that he gets hospitalized care and Hospital incarceration. That and know that even if you could of kept em out of trouble, it would be something else.