Over the years I’ve gained some extra pounds that didn’t really bothered me all that much up to the point where my physician told me my blood pressure is too high and my cholesterol levels are borderline high, as well. The first thing I need to do, he said, is lose weight.

Now the thing is, I’m 43 years old and not quite a person who’d go to the gym, so I was thinking about trying a diet for the first time since I was a teen. I read a lot about Dukan diet and I think I understand well how it works, but what I’m not so sure about is - does the Dukan diet really work for losing weight?

Dukan diet will definitely help you lose some weight, most definitely at the start of the diet when you practically eliminate most of the carbohydrate foods (wheat products, fruit, vegetables... etc.) from your diet and are limited to eating mainly proteins. It's similar to the Atkins diet in this sense, only it's a little bit more tolerant to carbs, since after the first phase you can slowly start eating some of the fruits and veggies that were off the list.

Since you eliminate a large food group from your with the Dukan diet, you will need at least some multivitamin supplements, and you'll have to be prepared to feel more tired, since most of us simply get the most energy out of carbs.