Hi! I'm four months pregnant and my friend is seven. She told me that her nipples were getting darker. I was surprise when I saw her very dark nipples. Is it normal? Would my nipples be like hers? Please, can somebody tell me something more about darkening around the nipples during pregnancy? Thanks!

Don't worry! That's normal thing. In most pregnant women hormonal changes cause darkening of skin. These changes are caused by a temporary increased production of melanin in your body. Darkening will probably fade after delivery. You should know that your breasts go through a number of changes during pregnancy. Good luck!

my breasts have gone dark, not just nipple area but entire breast...anyone else been through this? its really stressing me out... :-|

Hey there ilsya,

breast changes are one of the most important changes that your body goes through in pregnancy. Not only do your breast develop so that they can provide the milk for breastfeeding, but they are also under the influence of all the hormonal changes your body is going through. So, breast at first get more sensitive and slighly larger, then slowly, they become even larger and the sign you are talking about starts to appear - your nipples and areolas (area around the breast) become darker and veins on your breasts sometimes become more visible.

This happens so often that some women look at darker/ enlarged nipples or areolas as one of the signs of pregnancy (even if it isn't). And veins becoming more visible under the skin of your breast could very well be responsible for your entire breast becoming somewhat darker, as whole.