I had been in severe pain for about 3 months with this lower left abdominal pain, I had 2 CT scans, an internal and external ultrasound, blood work and a colonoscopy without any results. Finally I had surgery and my Dr. said he found a nueroma and an undesolved suture (I hope I'm spelling that right). Now I've had a hernis repair in that area and 2 c-sections, would that have caused this?
Why can't I find anything on the web concerning an abdominal neuroma? I keep finding acoustic neuromas and Mortons Neuroma (foot) but nothing on my problem.
Is it rare, is it a form of a tumor and what does it look like, is it wrapped maybe in scar tissue? Please help!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am a physician with severe pain in abdoman which started 2 months after my surgery for appendicitis which perforated.It took me 4 months 2 ct few u/s and other stuff to finally make a diagnosos of neuroma.There is a very good article in up to date about it.I had full relief of the pain after a pain doctor gave a block with steroids and local anesthesia in the region of neuroma.
It is a clinical diagnosis and made after a bed side test called carnett's test is positive and there may be hyperasthesia in the region of the pain.One block helped me to be pain free for 10 days ,but the pain came back and I am going for another block.If blocks do not help one may need to undergo nervectomy .You could go on meds whic help relieve nerve pain like neurontin or lyrica or amitryptiline.You can ask for TENS or other therapies also at a pain clinic.

PMendiratta MD MPH

am a physician with severe pain in abdoman which started 2 months after my surgery for appendicitis which perforated.It took me 4 months 2 ct few u/s and other stuff to finally make a diagnosos of neuroma.There is a very good article in up to date about it.I had full relief of the pain after a pain doctor gave a block with steroids and local anesthesia in the region of neuroma.

PMendiratta MD MPH

Shanimation-did you ever figure out what was the problem? Neuroma from the hernia? I have the same thing and don't know what to do about it. I've had really bad medical experiences and have had surgery that I might have not needed-now I'm in pain all the time.

i have been through so much since a needed gull bladder surgery. After that my abdomin has not been right at all. I have been through CTs, MRIs, lower bowel series xrays, endoscopy and colonoscopy, and still nothing but that i may have abdominal neuroma. Like you, I have found nothing but (foot) Neuroma and acoustic neuroma. My doctor told me that a plastic surgeon would be my best result . . .I've had so many different drs by now, i'm scared to death. i don't know where to turn now. I saw this information and was astonished that someone, finally, is explaining the same thing that I am. i've been disgusted by drs even saying that maybe its just in my head. i sit in their offices and just bawl my head off because i can't explain the pain and they've given me shots in my stomach and everything, what more can i do, where do i go, ?????

Well, thank God! I was wondering if I was ever going to find anyone else with this sort of pain! I have gotten so tired of numerous doctors telling me it's all in my head, because of depression. Hello, I'm already on antidepressants, I don't need anything else for my head! I have had this pain for going on three years & have had every test under the sun, only to come up with zilch. I, too, have had the colonoscopy/endoscopy, the gallium scans, the gallbladder tests, the pancreas test, the CT scans, all of those with no result, except that I'm in pain 24/7. My pain doc has been injecting anesthetics/steroids into the right side of my abdomen for about six months now (it works maybe half the time), plus Lidocaine patches & pain meds. But it took him a long time to prescribe the meds...he wanted to make sure it wasn't 'in my head' before he did that. ;^) So I can say to all of you, I UNDERSTAND!! You're saying I have to find a surgeon now, to remove it? That would be a blessing, if they could find *something* that's causing the pain & remove it. As I've said, I've got my head on straight, I'm already being treated for depression (which the pain only makes worse), so I'm done with SSRI's & all that. I just want to end the pain. Please feel free to add some links to some of the pages you have found, as I can't seem to find much outside of Morton's Neuroma. ;^)

Thanks all.

Polkadottybatty

I am a 25 year old female. I have had pain in my left side between the area where my last 2 ribs are and it goes into my lower left back and pelvic area. Sometimes it almost feel like my ovaries hurt. Causes nausea, hard to breathe at times. Frequent urinating, and hard to empty bladder, and frequent bowl movement, when I have this pain, (not diarreah though). I also have rectal bleeding once in a while after a bowl movement. At first the pain would only happen 2 or 3 times a month. It would last for hours, but be excrutiating. Now it happens almost everyday. There is almost always a dull pain there, and at times it gets excrutiating. This has been going on since July of 07. Doesn't matter if I am sitting, walking, standing, etc. I don't seem to have any pain when I have my period, but my period is always abnormal. I've had 3 c-sections and my tubes tied, not sure if that could have done something. My last c-section and tubal ligation was in April of 07. I had been bleeding right up til about 8 weeks after I had my son. Then I didn't get a period til just before I went back for a pap in Sept. My period would always be right on time and last 5-6 days. Now it comes a week early, or a week late. I bleed for a day or 2 it stops then comes back. This goes on for a week, sometimes a week in a half. Intercourse is sometimes painful, my husband complains I am dry down there, but at times I have alot of discharge. I have been to the doctor. I've been tested for a UTI, came back negative. I've had an abdominal ultra sound, in which the doctor said I have medullary kidney sponges, but said this shouldn't be causing any problems, had a special x-ray done to check for kidney stones, came back negative. The doctor did a pelvic exam, (not a full pap though). Was painful, and more uncomfortable than usual when she was feeling aroundmy cervix. She took a swab to test and that came back negative, not sure what she was testing for. Now I have to go in for a transvaginal ultrasound, and another abdominal ultrasound. I'm losing my mind with this pain. I don't know what else to do. Dr. tells me,just keep taking tylenol (whcih I've told her makes absolutely no difference in my pain level) someone please help. I'm starting to think I'm crazy!

I have been experiencing the same kind of pain towards my right abdomen..now it is to the extent whole of my right side of the body is in cramp starting from right abdomen, the pain initiates from right side of abdomen and aggravates on sitting, standing and walking. Only lying flat on bed will not aggravate my pain. help required. it has been 10 months by now. All this started after a chronic constipation for over a week after using a high dose antibiotic.

PMENDIRA you said that there was a very good article on abdominal neuromas but failed to give the location please help. thanks

hi there i have had 4 c sections my last 15th august 2008 and i also had a tubal ligation ant the same time. ever since i hav had serious abdominal pain and bloating since starting on the right side. i have also just found out im 10 weeks pregnant and the pain has increased enormously. i have had ct scans ,ultrasounds, and internal ultrasounds and nothing has been found. i'm in and out of hospital and it's making life so hard. does anyone have these kind of symptoms or experienced anything like this? all my blood work is good and theres no infections.

Hi Everyone. I have some of the symptoms described as well. I had hip arthroscopic surgery for a torn labrum in 2005 and have had a variety of problems since. Apart from the issues of surgery to the left hip I began experimenting right hip pain which was explained to be compensation problems. It quickly moved on to my knees and after a particular yoga class began having lower right back pain as well. I found out that I had a tear on L5/S1 and a bulge at L5/L4 as well. I have had numerous shots to my back including prolotheraphy. I have been to numerous chiropractors and physical therapy. I had CT scan as well and a ultra sound that just found a cyst in my uterus and one on my left ovaries but nothing stood out. But now recently I began having a stinging burning pain that started in my lower abdominal which has now spread to the right hips and legs and groin area. If I put heat to the area it is unbearable on the right. And when I put ice my whole legs cramps up so bad. To top it off my lower right back has flared up and now I feel as if something is pulling my whole right side. It starts all the way in my shoulder, shoulder blade and all the way to my toes. Mornings are the worse as my pain constantly changes and travels. Also I began a light bleeding between my period which I have never experience before since puberty and becoming a young woman. After a ultrasound my gyno found that I have polyps in the uterus and is now planning the procedure to remove them. my myofascial/massage therapist keeps telling me that he feels something really hard in my abdominals. I have kind of given up on the neurologist since they do not believe my hip and leg pain is not coming from my back. I am at loss from what I am suppose to do next if the gyno does not find anything else.
Someone suggested that I go see a gastro internist but I have no issues with urinating or the other. I only have to go to the bathroom a lot after drinking coffee or lots of water.
The only other incident that stands out to me was after having my hip surgery I had to go to the emergency room because I could not urinate. It was so painful and when they tried to drain the urine they went through two catheters before getting it in :$ So please if any other person is going through or went through this can you please post. Thanks and good luck with everyone else issues on this board.

After my tubal, my left side and sometimesmy right side would hurt so bad i could barely walk.  The first twelve hours of my period the pain was so awful, I could barely pee.  I switched gyno's and startes going to a woman who said that a lot of women have pain in their ovaries after a tubal because the surgeon bruises them during the procedure.

I have been experiencing the same problems in my lower right abdomen due to multiple c sections. I also went through multiple testing, my physician had found a lump and has been convinced it was a hernia. I was in so much unbelievable pain last night I took myself to the hospital where I was given the local anesthetic to treat a neuroma. I have been battling this pain for 8 months and for the first time i have felt relief.

I have the same abdominal neuroma. Seeing a surgeon tomorrow The Pain is Awful. I'm pretty sure having it removed is the only way to go. It doesn't show up on CT scans or any other testing You have to have a good doctor

Please contact Dr. J. David Prologo.
Emory Hospital, Atlanta.
He just did my pudendal cryoablation and found a BIG neuroma and killed it with cryo.
This physician was fabulous! I was the worst pudendal neuralgia patient he had ever seen..plus he never saw a neuroma in the alcock canal....so thankful after 7 yrs to find relief..Dayle Triay