I’ve had a nasty bike crash and my hip is seriously damaged. At first I though I would pull through with only a few surgeries but it turned out that hip replacement would be the only reliable solution. That was a chock for me and I didn’t know what to do at first. Now I feel better and my only concern is whether I will be able to run after that hip replacement. Can you tell me your opinion?

I’m really sorry to hear that. I suppose that after hip replacement you’ll have to make a pause for a while and all sports activities will be reduced to physical therapy and certain exercises to help you adjust to the new hip. But since nowadays artificial hips are made of light materials, such as titanium, I guess that you’ll be able to run after a certain period of time. I can’t tell you exactly how long, because I think that’s individual and you will have to consult your doctor and physical therapist, but I guess that after a couple of months everything will be fine. Maybe you’ll have to begin with brisk walks and after that switch to running in order to adapt your hip to sudden movements.