Hi. I am 26 years old. I had a severe case of endometriosis and doctor told me that a total hysterectomy may be the best treatment. I know many women with endometriosis still can conceive, but not me. Removing the ovaries means that endometriosis will not come back. What to do?

Hi. I am 35 years old, and I had hysterectomy too, thanks to endometriosis. Yeah, you can`t get pregnant after a hysterectomy because you don`t have a womb any more. However, I think it`s better this way. If you don`t treat endometriosis, it can be really painful and frustrating. You can still be happy and lead a normal, active life, just like me. I talk with my friends and family and I feel pretty fine. I can`t have kids but I can have many other things that make life.

elora,

you wrote: You can still be happy and lead a normal, active life, just like me. I talk with my friends and family and I feel pretty fine. I can`t have kids but I can have many other things that make life.

Yes!!! We adopted a son about 1970 because we were not having any luck at having our own child. Later we learned I had endometriosis and had a hysterectomy and ovectomy. Our son has been a great joy to us. We now have added a beautiful wonderful sweet daughter-in-law (who was adopted by a couple having the same problems). Now we also have added two wonderful grandsons to our family. I have not had any more problems with endometriosis.

HR

Nikki

I had a partial when I was 25 years old. Three years later I struggle weather or not I made the right decession. The reason given was cysts and endometriostis. I have 4 beautiful healthy children, and knowing that I have them is a blessing, but the fact that I will never feel a child again in my womb has sent me into a deep depression. Make your decession wisely.

Kelly

I am 29 years old and I am having a full hysterectomy on the 22nd September 2008.

I started my periods at 11 and have since then been in constant agony every month, even being rushed into hospital at times because the pain was that bad.

I got married at 21 and always thought when the time was right I would have a bundle of babies around my feet.
After 5 years of trying and then having fertility drugs to try and help us, nothing worked.

In the meantime I found out I had polycystic ovary syndrome, severe endometriosis & diabetes type 2.

After several operations to try and lesson the pain nothing worked. I went into a deep depression and found it hard to go to work. I gained weight and came out in the most horrible acne and body hair and felt and still feel a mess & unwell every single day.

It's now come to the time that my hysterectomy has been booked in and I
couldn't be happier. To actually have a new life just when I'm about to turn 30. I feel like I have missed out on my 20's because of all the pain & misery I went through trying to get pregnant.

I feel sad that I will never have a baby of my own but to be well again and have my life back just feels as good.

There are so many babies out there with no families that I know all this has happened for a reason and I can now be a special mum to one of those babies out there in the near future and be actually well enough to look after him/her.

I hope this may have helped anyone who has any of the above problems or anyone who is contemplating or been told that a hysterectomy is the only thing left to do.

Thanks Kelly B xxx

kelly dont be stupid once you take it out thats it,,,,,i have been in severe pain for years too,,,,, i also have pcos, and endometriosis,,,, but am not gonna give up, try other things, change your diet, there are herbal stuff, than as last result yes i agree that you do hysterectomy, but try honey,,,, i will give you my email if you want tips and stuff or if you just fancy a chat,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,take care maliah

kelly just beware of the insurance company if you do have it done . i had a laposcopic surgery done and the doctor scheduled a hysterectomy three months later, because he said it was ando instead of indometriosis. and the insurance company canceled the surgery the day before the surgery and said by the way you owe for the first operation we are not paying due to pre-existing. so now i'm still in pain and i owe thousands of dollars.

signed living with the pain and depressed

p.s. i guess it's been pre-exsiting since i got off of my parents insurance at 18

i dont know how old this post is but i have the same problem. im 20 almost 21 and was told i have endometriosis and the only cure would b a hist. i was also told i can probly only have kids very early in life because this will get worse..... problem being is that my bf just doesnt understand that if we wait to long i cant have kids. were getting a house of our own the end of this year 2009. my mother had this same problem so she had my brother at 20 then a misscarage then me at 23

any opinions?????????........what should i do? every1 has told me just to go for it and get prego but he doesnt want to now

I have endometriosi, ademyosis, and PCOS. I was told I wouldn't be able to have kids but my doctor doesn't want to do a hysterectomy because I am only 26. I miss work because of the pain and noone seems to understand the amount of pain I go thru each month. Everyone says it will get better, but it has only gotten worse. I have known about the endo since I was 17. Learned I had also after my first surgery at the age of 23. And just this year was told about the PCOS. It sucks.

Hi everyone, I know how you all feel and I'm only 22. I had cervical cancer when I was 17 and none of this has ever been in the family. When I was 18 is when it started for me, I was on the patch for birth control and I ended up bleeding for a couple months before my doctor would switch me to something else. Then a month later it would start all over again. I was back and forth switching pills thinking it wasn’t strong enough and now I know it was strong enough to suppress my endo. Last summer I went on depo, I was gushing blood for a month then they tried giving me my shots more frequently, didn't stop it. I have been on Lybrel for 6 months and over the past three months I have just been gushing blood NON STOP and my cramping feels like someone is just tearing my uterus out everyday. I started seeing a different doctor than normal at my gyno and FINALLY someone orders an internal and external ultrasound, talked to the doctor about it and he said he didn’t see anything wrong in the ultrasounds but sent them out to be looked at. So he told me about a Laparoscopy so he could take a better look inside and they could do a D&C to remove the uterus lining that was gushing out of me. He said he wanted to wait a couple months to see if the bleeding will stop on its own I told him ABSOLUTELY NOT. I’m in college full time and I have a life, I can’t be dealing with all this pain let alone the NON STOP gushing, a super tampon wasn’t lasting more than 30 min. I wanted to know what was wrong so I can fix it and get on with my life, come to find out they said I had a tumor in my uterus when they got my ultrasound back and the operation would take care of it. So I had the lap and D&C done a month ago, went home after I woke up and I was gushing blood when I left the hospital, I was told there would only be light spotting since they were cleaning out my uterus for only a day or two tops AND mind you I have been on birth control to NOT get a period for 2 years (thankfully because it suppressed my endo enough till now). So a week later I’m still just gushing and I cant use a tampon because of possible infection. I call the doctor, "oh no that’s normal your due for your period" I go "I am on a pill to prevent me from getting my period, I was told it would stop my bleeding that’s why I had the operation, what’s going on?" She said to call back in a week if it hasn’t stopped and they would get me in. She called me 2 days later because she realized I shouldn’t have been bleeding. I go in a see a different doctor and she puts me on a birth control pill that is about 5 times stronger than normal birth control and has a special chemical in it to suppress endo. So I've been taking it and it’s been a month since my op AND I'M STILL GUSHING! I’m in so much pain some days I can’t go to class, I haven’t been able to ride my horses, I can barely move and pain pills don’t even work the slightest bit. I don’t want kids and I never have because they just aren’t for me. I go see my obgyn tomorrow and I’m going to tell him I want a hysto. He told me I only have a couple years to get pregnant and if I don’t I wont ever be able to, and I’m fine with that. I’ve looked up a lot of info on hysterectomies and I really think this is right for me. I cant take this any more I just want a normal life back and since I never want kids I don’t see an issue but I’m afraid he’s going to say no just because I’m only 22. I’ve had cervical cancer already and I’m just gushing and I’m in so much pain, I’m miserable. I wish I never had the first op because there was really no point. NOTHING changed except my cramps got worse. I realize it’s a big decision especially at my age but I can’t go on any longer living like this. The women on my moms side are ALL anemic and I’m scared I’m going to be also if something doesn’t stop the bleeding soon. I’m loosing so much blood I’m weak by the end of the day and I have headaches all day, I’m taking an iron pill every other day just to try to be safe. The gushing never lets up and I’m starting to think it never will. Its just so hard because none of my friends really understand and my parents tell the WHOLE family every little thing so I just kind of deal with it as it comes everyday at a time on my own. :'( :'( :'(

Hi I had a hyst at 21 due to endometriosis..I am now 32. I never used hormone therapy and I am fine. Pain free and it's wonderful. I was told that if after 10 years I didn't have a reaccurance that I would be fine and I'm happy to say that I haven't! I had to go to 3 different doctors trying to find one who wouldn't keep telling me the same thing" You are only 21 and even though you ave 2 children you are too young" obviously they had never had a disease so painful. I got blessed with my 2 children!

You wrote this. Hi everyone, I know how you all feel and I'm only 22. I had cervical cancer when I was 17 and none of this has ever been in the family. When I was 18 is when it started for me, I was on the patch for birth control and I ended up bleeding for a couple months before my doctor would switch me to something else. Then a month later it would start all over again. I was back and forth switching pills thinking it wasn’t strong enough and now I know it was strong enough to suppress my endo. Last summer I went on depo, I was gushing blood for a month then they tried giving me my shots more frequently, didn't stop it. I have been on Lybrel for 6 months and over the past three months I have just been gushing blood NON STOP and my cramping feels like someone is just tearing my uterus out everyday. I started seeing a different doctor than normal at my gyno and FINALLY someone orders an internal and external ultrasound, talked to the doctor about it and he said he didn’t see anything wrong in the ultrasounds but sent them out to be looked at. So he told me about a Laparoscopy so he could take a better look inside and they could do a D&C to remove the uterus lining that was gushing out of me. He said he wanted to wait a couple months to see if the bleeding will stop on its own I told him ABSOLUTELY NOT. I’m in college full time and I have a life, I can’t be dealing with all this pain let alone the NON STOP gushing, a super tampon wasn’t lasting more than 30 min. I wanted to know what was wrong so I can fix it and get on with my life, come to find out they said I had a tumor in my uterus when they got my ultrasound back and the operation would take care of it. So I had the lap and D&C done a month ago, went home after I woke up and I was gushing blood when I left the hospital, I was told there would only be light spotting since they were cleaning out my uterus for only a day or two tops AND mind you I have been on birth control to NOT get a period for 2 years (thankfully because it suppressed my endo enough till now). So a week later I’m still just gushing and I cant use a tampon because of possible infection. I call the doctor, "oh no that’s normal your due for your period" I go "I am on a pill to prevent me from getting my period, I was told it would stop my bleeding that’s why I had the operation, what’s going on?" She said to call back in a week if it hasn’t stopped and they would get me in. She called me 2 days later because she realized I shouldn’t have been bleeding. I go in a see a different doctor and she puts me on a birth control pill that is about 5 times stronger than normal birth control and has a special chemical in it to suppress endo. So I've been taking it and it’s been a month since my op AND I'M STILL GUSHING! I’m in so much pain some days I can’t go to class, I haven’t been able to ride my horses, I can barely move and pain pills don’t even work the slightest bit. I don’t want kids and I never have because they just aren’t for me. I go see my obgyn tomorrow and I’m going to tell him I want a hysto. He told me I only have a couple years to get pregnant and if I don’t I wont ever be able to, and I’m fine with that. I’ve looked up a lot of info on hysterectomies and I really think this is right for me. I cant take this any more I just want a normal life back and since I never want kids I don’t see an issue but I’m afraid he’s going to say no just because I’m only 22. I’ve had cervical cancer already and I’m just gushing and I’m in so much pain, I’m miserable. I wish I never had the first op because there was really no point. NOTHING changed except my cramps got worse. I realize it’s a big decision especially at my age but I can’t go on any longer living like this. The women on my moms side are ALL anemic and I’m scared I’m going to be also if something doesn’t stop the bleeding soon. I’m loosing so much blood I’m weak by the end of the day and I have headaches all day, I’m taking an iron pill every other day just to try to be safe. The gushing never lets up and I’m starting to think it never will. Its just so hard because none of my friends really understand and my parents tell the WHOLE family every little thing so I just kind of deal with it as it comes everyday at a time on my own.

Please don't get a hysterectomy. I am saying this because, I did because of bleeding and pain. I also didn't want to have kids and I was so sure I will be fine. I thought my life will be so much better. After the sugery, I felt liberated, I couldn't wait to start living my new life. Didn't fee like anything was wrong, then one day about six months later, it dawned on my that I may have made a mistake, but I couldn't admit it. I was depressed for about a week. I think my denial made it go away. I rember telling my friends I am glad I don't feel that way anymore, I said because i knew it could ruin me. I told them that I feel good and I don't regret my decision.
Now it is almost 11month and I have fallen into a deep drepression. I am so sad so sad, I can't think straight and can't stop crying. I feel like I have done an awful thing to myself. My brother ones told me that I'd regret it and I told him that I can't say that because I don't know the future, but if I regret it I will just cry and move on. I can tell you now that it is not easy at all I am not only crying I don't enjoy my life anymore. I am trying to take care of myself, but it is so hard, I can't even eat anything, nd I really shouldn't be loosing any. I have lost weight. This morning it took me 3 hours to eat a slice of bread. Please don't do it, all I want is to take my uterus back and go on lupron like my doctor adviced. I was 31 when I had the sugery. I have been depressed for 2 weeks now. It is not only that you will feel like having children, you will feel like you are less of a woman. You will feel like you are missing something. You will just see yourself differently. In my case, I still have my ovaries, but I don't know if the endometriosis will attack them so I still have to take some medication such as depo. I just wouldn't let my ovaries be taken because I knew I will be in medical menopause and I will be deadly depressed. Maybe what you need is Lupron, you will be in a temporary menopause and you will not bleed, but you will probaly be able to sample I you'd feel had you gotten the actually sugery, since Lupron will likely make you depresssed. I keep saying to myself, I wish I had listened to everyone. I even faught with some people because I felt they didn't think I was matured enough to make such a decision. I don't know how I will ever be fine with this, but people keep telling me it will pass. Well, I can't believe I let it happen.

Hi Natalie, I, too am 26 and just got diagnosed with endo. Mine is only minor endo, but sometimes it feels like MAJOR. I had an IUD, but lost it during a D/C that they did with searching for the endo. I am sure that I don't want to have children so I begged my ob/gyn to perform a hyterectomy. He told me that a hysterectomy by itself wouldn't do everything. What causes Endo is estrogen, so having my removing my uterus, but leaving my ovaries in would still leave the chance of recurrence of Endo. I begged for a full hysterectomy/oopherectomy, but he declined. I stated that I would go through menopause at some time in my life, why not now, while I'm younger and can handle it. He said that 'forcing' my body into menopause by having a oopherectomy/hysterectomy would trick my body into believing that it's in it's 50's. I never thought of it that way. I just wanted to share that with you. Another choice you might want to consider that I was offered in psuedo menopause. First you should try to remove the damaged tissue then you take a hormone for 6 months and hopefully the endometrial tissue will dry up. Good Luck

I was diagnosed with Endometriosis when I was 19 and I chose to wait until I was 34 & 3 children to have a hysterectomy. If you have a great doctor & not a lazy one, you will do just fine to wait. I am glad that I did.

i am 26 and have suffered from stage 4 endometriosis for many years now. my husband and i were lucky to have 1 child but it took 3 years of trying. my son is almost 3 now and i have had 2 surgeries for endometriosis since having him. it ruined my marriage and we are now divorced. it also caused a severe addiction to pain pills that i have now recovered from. im am in constant pain. i have been on lupron and femera also and nothing seems to keep it from coming back. it spread throughout my entire abdomin and penetrated through my bladder as well, causing a painful bladder disease. im am looking at having a hysterectomy and but i dont know what will happen if i do. i am affraid i might change my mind about having more children but i have been told i cant concieve again anyways. i dont know whats worse... living with this dabilitating painful disease that has ruined my life or having my womanhood taken from me??? tough choice.