I had a Nova Sure ablation three years ago. I would have said it was very successful before last month. Both last month and today, at the time I would normally have my period, I am having horrific menstrual cramps without bleeding. Today the cramps are so excruciating that I had to come home from work. If I move around at all, I double over from the pain. Ibuprofen and naproxen don't touch the pain, and I don't want to go back on the prescription pain meds I had to take for my cramps before the ablation. All I can do is roll up in a ball with a heating pad on my belly. I had severe cramps that lasted for several days (along with heavy bleeding) before the ablation, but the pain I am experiencing today is even worse. Any ideas? Could I have grown back uterine lining or scar tissue that is causing me to cramp so badly?

Hi! The pain ISNT from the lining it is from the engorgement of the veins around the uterus and even the ovaries! You had the lining taken away! There is also something called "Phantom Pains" which is the same thing as when someone looses a leg, their leg hurts! I have a feeling that you could have something going on with the veins around your uterus! IF the lining had "grown back" it would be shedding by now - just like a normal period! So you had a TOTAL ablation with NO period? Sometimes if a small amount of lining was left after enough time the lining can come back - but like I said you would be experiencing a period now! I would definitely phone your doctor and have him/her find out what is going on! I would REALLY like you to have a pelvic ultrasound and perhaps a laproscopy just to find out WHY the pain! Please let me know what you doctor says! Good lucka nd health!

I had the Nova-sure procedure a year ago and at first all was fine. My last 4 or 5 periods have been just like yours! It's way worse than menstrual cramps. It's constant pain and pressure like you have to poop or give birth or something. I actually start to pant like I'm in labor, the pain gets so bad. I keep complaining to my Doctor and even ended up going to the ER one night when my husband convinced me that my appendix might be about to rupture. But of course I was sent home hours later with them telling me I was having a bad period. They detected a high white blood cell count but no one ever gave me an explanation as to why. If/ when I do bleed it's just super dark almost black blood. I wish I could bleed, it seems I would have relief from the tremendous pain and pressure. I've had to resort to vicodens and heating pads... it's the only thing that will help. I just switched my primary care Dr. this morning to a woman... maybe she will listen to me. I know something is wrong and it sucks that doctors blow us off like we are babies or something. I've been looking for anyone else out there who is going through this as well.

I am NOT a fan with doctors playing around with mother nature! I truly believe that what you are experiencing is your hormones trying to release the lining that can't build up! And when it does it becomes blackened! So write down what you need to ask and hear? And remember that SOMETIMES a woman doctor - whom has NOT experienced severe cramping - has less compassion than a man doctor! I found that out the hard way! Have you thought about a hysterectomy? That might be the best thing for you at this point! Because they can't undo an ablation! I hope you get the help you need! But definitely look into a partial hysterectomy - so you don't keep experiencing these pains OK? Good luck and health!

i had a novasure ablation 6months later the bleeding stopped. and each period thereafter pain is terrible doctor has no idea whats causing it. hoping for a referral to consultant .

I had nova sure ablation too - about 1 1/2 years ago. I am having the same symptoms as maribb1 described. It is horrific. I know that something is not right. I've had varied menstrual related issues since this procedure was done, but it has gotten progressively worse and worse. Has anyone gotten any relief, and if so, what was the diagnosis?

I know I'm late to this party, but I had to chime in. I had a Novasure almost 2 years ago. About 5 months ago, I started with the same cramping. It is horrendous. I am in agony today. Basically, we are having phantom pains associated with the prostglandins that our uterus is producing with no outlet. Apparently, those of us with tubals have it in even worse because there's really nowhere for the pain to dissipate. It can proceed along the pathway of the uterus and it can dissipate back through the fallopian tube because the tube is cut. The doctor has told me that I have 3 options: pain medications (which hasn't touched done a damn thing this morning), birth control pills or a hysterectomy. I opted for the ablation and against the bcps in the first place because there's a family history of blood clots. I don't want a hysterectomy, but I'm beginning to wonder if that's my only recourse. I don't know if they were aware of the potential for cramping post-ablation, but I know they didn't warn me about it before I had the ablation. I love what the ablation has done to minimize the bleeding that used to keep me stuck in the house for days, but this cramping is ridiculous.

I too had a Novasure ablation done 4 years ago. I have been experiencing the same problems as all of you for 3 years now. My pains have gotten so bad this month that I have been in bed for 2 days so far. The pain comes and goes just like labor pains only the onset is like someone is stabbing me and trying to rip out my guts. I have explained my thoughts and position on not wanting a hysterectomy to my OB/GYN and since he has delivered both my kids and has known me for 20+ years he understands and has counseled me on my options. I was able to deliver both my kids naturally with only use of nubain. I must have a high tolerance for pain to make it this far. I believe I have met my match and the only option for me will be a hysterectomy. I will tempt to have a partial hysterectomy unless my doctor says otherwise. He is a great doctor and really cares about his patients and will do what THEY want. Other option given to me were pain meds which I opted not to do. Since ibuprofen is not helping me to tolerate this agony any longer and the pain has now bedridden me I am opting for surgery. Good luck to all you ladies. It sure is good to know that I have not been alone in this.

Hello ladies - I'm relieved to have found your posts! I have an annual physical coming up the end of the month, but have such severe pain, couldn't decide whether to wait it out or not. March of 2009, I had a Novasure ablasion and up until June 2010, it had been very successful and relieved me from the life of constant heavy bleeding and anemia along with the fatigue and concentration issues etc. Since June, the monthly symptoms began again and cramping like I've never experienced before except during labor. The cramping is now everyday allday and is no longer squelched by any over the counter pain medication. The pain radiates down my legs and is causing fatigue and headaches. It started with some light spotting and tender breasts and increased for a couple of months. Then August and September I had a three day light period and cramps with extremely tender breasts. October and November I experienced tender breasts and no bleeding, but the sharp cramps started and lasted for about a week. December and January, back to three day light period, very tender breasts for a couple of weeks and cramping. Since the end of January, the cramping and pain has been purely miserable. Each day I'm hoping it is going away and disappointed everyday. I tried to get an appointment with my regular OB/GYN doctor, but they are converting to a new system and had scheduling issues, so I was left with the delimna of whether to go to someone else or stick with who I've been with for quite a few years now. I opted to wait. Although the cramps are there all of the time, the really miserable feelings come in waves and usually later in the day, so I'm able to work and function most days. Today is not one of those days, however.

In 2009, I was given the option of a hysterectomy in place of the ablasion and am now wishing I would have done it. I hope everyone who has posted prior has found relief and as soon as I get advised and make a decision, I will certainly let you know the results. Take care, all! :-) :-)

I am 56 and had the Novasure procedure in November 2010 after more than two years of incredibly heavy bleeding. Thought I had researched this option well, but I guess not. My bleeding never completely stopped but is so much less. That is the good news!
The bad news is the cramps!!! They started up in January 2011 and although I can keep them under control so far with ibuprofen, from the previous posts it appears as though they will only get worse. I also have had some substantial bleeding far more than I had expected. My doctor told me that if the ablation doesn't work, the only option is a hysterectomry.
So for those of you near menopause, a question . . . . Would you recommend the hysterectomy now? Or should I wait for memopause? I am assuming the hysterectomy will stop the cramps, but someone mentioned phantom cramps. That would be my luck. Will just removing the uterus do the job? On the other hand, the waiting game - Will all of this stop at menopause?
As you all know, this is not fun. Any help you can give me will be greatly appreciated.

Ladies I am replying to let you know that I am 44 years old and since my post Feb. 6, 2011 I contacted my doctor and made an appointment. He conducted an internal ultrasound and found that my uterus was swollen. I explained openly how I had been since the ablation was done and the painful cycles I had been suffering through. I finally came to terms that it was time to say goodbye to that part of my body. That alone is very hard for some people to choose to remove a part of themselves. You have to believe 'what you think is' and also believe in the doctor and staff that will be taking care of you. I feel blessed to have the doctor I do because he too believes in the 'what you think is' philosophy. That day I made my decision to have just a partial hysterectomy, but, I let my doctor know that I believed in him and that he could remove anything he saw fit to remove. My surgery was March 7, 2011 (and I was cycling at the time and in severe pain) my bloodpressure before surgery was 177/110. After surgery I awoke in the recovery room, droggy and had cottonmouth, they asked how I felt and I exclaimed "I feel fantastic!!!!" XD (Of course, my enthusiasm was all inside me since I was still too droggy to express it only by quiet sublte words) I can say that it was the best decision I could have made and I even asked myself, "Why in the hell did you wait so long?" and that confirmed it for me...I am a stubborn mule. My doctor came in to see me and told me about the surgery and that he only needed to remove my uterus. My ovaries looked good and healthy and saw no other problems. What he did see was that my uterus was swollen and had fybroids and was jammed into the right qaundrant of my pelvic area which explained why my pain was always on my right side. He also told me that once he saw the uterus he said it was definitely time for it's removal. I was bleeding heavily during surgery and was told that I had to have been in a lot of pain. I WAS, but no more, thank the Lord. I was released from the hospital on March 8, 2011 and recovering rather well at home. My progress in the hospital was inspiring to the nurses because I immediately was able to do things they thought I couldn't. The breathing treatments were not a problem and moving around in the bed was not a problem either. My suggestion to anyone planning to have a hysterectomy...read read read. Everything that they give you READ IT, understand it and if you don't understand then ask questions. I know I was able to manage greatly in part because the pain I felt after surgery was nothing like the pain I was enduring the years before. Just remember too, it is hard, but pamper yourself during your recovery don't over due standing, walking, driving, lifting or pulling and etc. for 4-6 weeks. Give your body time to heal because you deserve it. You have struggled with carrying that part of your body for many years and now a void is there and your body needs to adjust to the major change that has happened. I learned that even though I could drive after one week didn't mean that it was alright for me to stay out all morning walking around. I paid for that when I arrived home and the next day. Pain wasn't real bad but enough to make me stop and realize what I had done. Pay attention to what directions are given and don't hesitate to call the doctor's office with any questions or concerns that you may have. They are there to help you. Good luck ladies!!!! I feel wonderful and I pray that you will find the peace and relief I have once you make your decision. :-D :-D

DebD, so glad you found relief! May I ask whether you had a vaginal hyster, or whether they had to do some laparoscopic incisions as well? I've also looked into the Da Vinci robotic surgery, but I'm told that if I can get away with vaginal, it's a better recovery time. I'm still trying to decide what to do.

After my post in early Feb, I fully expected that I'd be having surgery as soon as possible. However, last month's cycle was virtually pain-free. I have no idea why, other than I began to take 400 mg of ibuprofen the day before I expected my period and continued through the entire time. Doc has also prescribed Tramadol, which is acetaminophen based and can be alternated with ibuprofen. He had earlier prescribed Ponstel which didn't touch the pain. I didn't need to use the Tramadol last month and since I'm flying to Florida on the day I expect my period this month (Yikes!), I'm hoping the ibuprofen early will do the trick.

By the way, this is DebM. Not sure why it wouldn't log me on, so it tagged me as a guest.

I am having the same problem I have had an ultrasound and a CT scan and everything looked good but the pain is more than i can bear. I feel like my womb has opened to have a baby, and it also feels like you have to go to the bathroom badly but you dont. I work twelve hours and im on my feet doing labor type work and well i had to leave work the first time but cant keep doing it, My job is strict on absenteeism. Help

It’s scary how many women are experiencing these issues post ablation. Of course, I didn’t come looking for information on this until I started experiencing problems of my own.
My Novasure was done over 5 years ago and I had wonderful results, the lengthy, heavy periods were replaced by NOTHING. I had no periods… I thought it was the greatest thing I had ever decided to do.
Five years later, I would not recommend them to anyone.
In December 2010, I had my first “episode” of what I consider to be the “DEATH PAINS.” It’s my name for them. The pains do feel like contractions and they are always coupled with major bloating of the lower abdomen. These pains that I had for a couple days in December came back 25 days later in January and then again, 25 days later in February. Unfortunately, in March they only waited 21 days and I experienced them again last night (just 16 days after my last batch.)
I have been doctoring as you all have. The doctors have analyzed everything from ultrasounds to CT scans to Colonoscopy and all came out relatively normal… with the exception of the CT scan which showed enlarged ovarian veins and pockets of fluid in my uterus.
Earlier this month (March 2011), I was fortunate enough to get into the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN. It happened that they got me in on the day I was experiencing the worst pain in my life. The doctor first believed it was all endometriosis related but when she called the radiologist to get me in for a laparoscopy, the radiologist pointed out that it sounded so much like “post ablation syndrome.” They took me in for a vaginal ultrasound on the day of my pains and sure enough, my uterus was full of fluid that had nowhere to get out because my cervix has been scarred shut. They have seen this before and were very confident in their diagnosis.
There were options and the one we chose that day may not be the last choice from what I’ve experienced after two weeks. I went on progesterone with the goal of eliminating periods. The level is quite high and I did have to build up to the current level I’m taking daily. The doctor did not say this was going to go away overnight but she believed that I would feel less pain each month for a few months before it disappeared. Unfortunately, progesterone is not without side effect. The nurse described it to me as such: your progesterone levels are at their highest just prior to your period so when you start taking progesterone, it’s like being in a constant state of PMS. My breasts have been tender, I’m moody and irrational…. Typically a very pleasant person to be around.
Sadly, last night…. Just 16 days after the last major pains, I had the DEATH PAINS. My regular family doctor and my Mayo Clinic doctor have helped me with pain m
eds… but they knock me out for a full day PLUS when I have to take them. It is all I have found to cut through the pain. (2 percocet and two Roxicodone – which is like Percocet without all the Tylenol). After taking these drugs, I typically feel some pain relief and drift off into my own world for the next two days.

I remain on the progesterone after having only tried it for 2+ weeks… but I’m starting to lean toward a hysterectomy. Also, I did want to mention that I had a tubal at the same time as the ablation and my pain is concentrated in the right side and radiates into my back.

Thankfully I found all of you blogging about this. You think you’re going crazy when they can’t find anything wrong.