I had a Nova Sure endometrial ablation three years ago and was doing great until last month. Both last month and today, around the time I would normally have my period, I am experiencing horrific menstrual cramps without bleeding. Today the cramping is so bad I had to leave work. If I move around too much, I double over from the cramps. Ibuprofen and naproxen do not touch the pain. I really do not want to go back to the prescription pain pills I had to take for my cramps before the ablation. That was the main reason I had the ablation, not so much for the heavy bleeding that I was experiencing but for the severe cramping. Any suggestions? I have read the lining of the uterus can grow back leading to scar tissue and severe cramps.

Did you ever get an answer? I also had the adlation done about 3 years ago. About every 3-4 months I will experience such extreme cramps they bring me to my knees. It happens about the time I would have had my period. But after the ablasion I occasionaly have spotting at that time of the month too. Not always, but a few times a year I have the spotting ... and this doesn't always happen when the cramps are extreme either.

I also had ablation with Nova Sure, and I still get severe menstral cramps. I don't understand why. No one can give me an answer. My doctor has done ultrasounds of my uterus and ovaries, looking for fibroids, and has said all is normal. I have not heard that the uterine lining can grow back. Where did you read this? If this is true, does this mean that I could support a pregnancy as well?

Had ablation 3 years ago, never stopped mensing, but made it livable, started getting cramps about 6 months after, they are now severe, accompanied by right side groin pain (and lumpy) and leg pain,getting more severe as each month passes, my period has also gotten increasingly heavier again, not to the extent it was but heavier, 8 to sometimes 14 days long. doc told me 3 months ago i do have a gumball sized fibroid embedded in my uterine lining. but im starting to wonder if the endometrial lining is growing back like a wild fire or something. I never knew they couldnt see it on an ultra sound until now. Has anyone else had any of these symptoms since there ablation. I love not having debilitatingly heavy periods, but lenghth and pain it getting scary.

Please help! I had Novasure done in November 2009. I was not happy with the results initially then things got better but about 3 months ago, I started having such severe menstrual cramps that I can't function during the 3-4 days it lasts. My bleeding has almost completely stopped. I went to the doctor a few days ago and she put me on the birth control pill to see if this will help. She can't figure out why this is happening and informed me that if the pill doesn't help, my next option is a partial hysterectomy. I have never had a history of fibroids or endometriosis and the symptoms only last while I am having my period.

I had a ablation in 2006 and was thrilled with the results as far as correcting my very heavy bleeding. For the first few years, every 3 months or so I would have some cramping and would spot a little every month...not an issue in any way. Over the past 6 months, the cramps have been getting worse and worse to the point where I feel like I can't function for 2-3 days each month. Still no bleeding other than some spotting, but the cramps were unbearable. I finally sent to see my doctor about it when tylenol/advil/midol were barely touching the pain. He did an ultrasound and determined that because of my ablation, there is now scar tissue in my uterus that is trapping pockets of blood and uterine lining. My 2 choices for treatment were a D&C or a hysterectomy. I chose the hysterectomy becasue the D&C has not been very successful in getting the scar tissue released. I'm nervous about the hysterectomy (11 days left), but know that I cannot continue with that pain every month.
Ladies...keep bugging your doctors to find the right solution for you...my doctor said this was specifically related to me having an ablation & I am so relieved that there is an answer.

I had a Novasure ablation in 2008 for extreme heavy bleeding. Initially, my periods lightened up and I felt hopeful that it was going to work. Things went really well for about 7 - 8 months, then the heavy bleeding returned with clots the likes of which I'd never seen before and bleeding to the point of hemorrhage. I figured I was just going to be one of the people that it didn't help but in May of 2009, my periods suddenly stopped and I haven't had one since. Because of my age (55), I assumed I'd finally hit menopause and that was why everything came to a halt. But about three months ago, I started having these vague cramping feelings. Sometimes they were pretty intense and localized low on the right side but more often, they're spread generally across my lower abdomen/pelvic area/lower back just like menstrual cramps. I'm also starting to have other period symptoms like I used to have with my monthly cycle. So now, I'm thinking my periods really haven't stopped but the ablation is keeping things at bay. This lower crampy stuff comes and goes but it's around about 70% of the time in some form or another. It's annoying, at times very uncomfortable, and certainly worrisome. I'm wondering if the ablation - which deliberately creates uterine scarring and adhesions/"webbing" - isn't really creating a type of pseudo-endometriosis. I can put up with it but it doesn't feel good. A heavy dose of Advil sometimes helps but not always. Truthfully, despite everything, it was worth it to have the ablation done regardless of the side effects since my hemorrhaging was so bad I'd become severely anemic and regularly lost time from work. I probably just need a complete hysterectomy to fix things once and for all but I'm not a surgical candidate at the moment.

I'm sorry everyone's having problems but I'm glad to see that I'm not alone. There's very little info online about complications from the ablation several years out. Thanks everyone for posting.

I had an ablasion due to heavy bleeding shortly after having my tubal. It was wonderful to not have a cycle. I did experience a little cramping about every 3-4 months (as most of you did), but then I started spotting/ with cramps and I accepted that since it was still much better than the heavy bleeding that I experienced before. I would say within the past 6 months I have been experiencing moderate to severe lower abdominal pain for the first week and then the spotting starts. This months everything has happened pretty much the same, with the exception of frequent urination with pain in the lower left abdomin. I have made an appointment to my doctor. So I do hope that it's nothing too serious.

I had the ablation done in July of 2010. At first I still had what I would consider a normal period. They eventually disappeared to only spotting. But the spotting lasts 8-10 days. There is no rhyme or reason as to when I spot. Just when I think it's done it's there again. Then a few months ago I started have such bad cramps that I double over and I can't even function. I lay in bed in tears. I told my husband this is worse than childbirth. I have 3 children all natural with no drugs. But these cramps I just can't get through. If I had to do it over again I would have dealt with the heavy bleeding and never had this done. I'm sorry so many of you are in the same boat with me but there is comfort in knowing I'm not the only one.

I also had an ablation done in February, 2009. For the first 1 1/2 years it was wonderful. I didn't have any pain or spotting. I told my doctor and friends it was the best decision I made. Then I saw a change. I started having pain in my lower right side and back that started off as more of a nusance/uncomfortable feeling but intensified over the 24 hour period to the point I was in so much pain I ended up in the hospital with morphene drip. The originally thought it was my appendics but through tests ruled it out. An ultra sound was performed and they sent me home with diagnosis of ovarian cysts and percocet. A month later the same thing. I took 2 percosets even though it said to only take one. It didn't even take the edge off. Went to the gyno. The office sent me back to the hospital. Worst pain ever!!! The doctors in the ER sent me home and told me to take tylenol a few days before my period although I already told them I haven't had my period for over 2 years because of ablation. They were starting to make me feel like I am going crazy. My gyno told me that it is time for a hysterectomy. It was scheduled two months away so he gave me Vicodin to get me through the pain in the meantime. I started to doubt whether I should get the procedure done. The pain last month reconfirmed I need to have it done. I am now a week away from my partial hysterectomy and know I am going to have another bout of pain before. Your posts have made me feel so much better knowing that I am not crazy and others confirm the pain I was feeling. I am sorry for all of you that are going through the same thing.

I had an ablation in 2008 and it was unsuccessful. I initially had it done because of heavy bleeding. But about 3 months after the surgery I started to have severe abdominal pains. It felt like labor, at times i would have to say worse than labor. I suffered for a couple of years until I had a hysterectomy in December 2010. I feel much better now. I have tried birth control methods but nothing helped me. This was my last resort. I dont have any regrets. I had 4 children. I have 3 now, one is deceased. I didnt want anymore kids. I have a 22, 19 and 17 year old. Ablations work for some people just like hysterectomies work for some people. I hope that u can find the right solution to your problem because it can be debilitating.

I had the Novasure done in 2005/2006. The surgery was done as an outpatient procedure and I remember being in a lot of pain for several days afterwards. With that said, I was very fortunate in the sense that I had no major problems, only spotting occasionally, no periods - couldn't even tell when I was supposed to be getting a period. Here is what has happened recently:

**On December 28, 2010, I had a ton of pain, lower right abdomen but radiating to my back. I've had kidney stones in the past so I know that kind of pain... I've given birth in the past (twice) so I know that kind of pain. This pain I was having on Dec. 28th fell into the category of the two severely painful events from the past. At the time, I considered it a kidney stone and popped two hydrocodone (which I hate to take and never take unless absolutely necessary) because I know it knocks me out for two days. The pain was nearly unbearable.

** Roughly two weeks later, I had major pain again in my lower right abdomen but it didn't last as long as the first episode and wasn't as severe so I make it through with 4 advil. At this time, I made a visit to my family practice doctor and shared my experience. He ordered an ultrasound but I couldn't get in for a couple days and because the pain went away, I cancelled the appointment and just hoped that it wouldn't come back.

** On January 22, 2011 - 25 days after the first major painful episode in December, I again had major pains. Unfortunately, I was travelling and had no options of any drugs. Thankfully I made it home in one piece without jumping out of the plane. When the third episode hit, I believed that it was "girl part" related so I scheduled with my gyno who ordered an immediate vaginal ultrasound. The ultrasound showed "pockets of fluid" in my lower abdominal area and in my uterus but nothing conclusive that would warrant the kind of pain I was having.
The OB GYN referred me back to my family practice doctor to rule out other potential major issues. I continued to have pains for a few days.

** On January 28, 2011 - I had a CT SCAN of my abdomen. Long story short here, nothing conclusive on that, either. I was getting frustrated - but would not give up.

** Feb. 11th, I revisited the OB GYN who shared a possible theory: She wondered if the Novasure procedure that I had 5 year previous was a factor in the current pain I was having. She talked about lots of scar tissue and that maybe my uterus is trying to shed lining, but can't because there's no way for it to get out. She listed 4 potential options for treatments including birth control pills, progesterone daily, depoprovera, or Lupron (puts you into menopause).

** On February 16th, I had a colonoscopy that was, you guessed it, "NORMAL."
<p>

** Today I met with my regular doctor and we talked about everything I have been reading with similar stories online. My eyes are wide open now that many people are having this same problem post novasure. We discussed the options I talked about with the OB GYN and I've decided to try another route. He's referred me to MAYO CLINIC in Rochester, MN. I hope they accept me as a patient. He's sent everything down there... now I have to wait to hear from them to see if they will accept me as a patient. In the meantime, he will help manage my pain.

** Today, I also woke in horrible pains - if you're doing the math, this is, once again, 25 days after my last major pains so this is definitely a cyclic event.

God help us get through this pain. I will keep everyone abreast of the findings from Mayo Clinic (if I get in.)

Best wishes to all for a painfree month!

I had the novasure procedure in June 2009. Everything was fine until 6 months later when I had the worst cramps of my entire life. They dropped me to my knees and I cried. My husband took me to the hospital and they used a new kind of xray. The radiologist said it looked like I had two uterus's. The doctor said that this was common in women who have had this procedure. I do not have two uterus's and what they found it to be was scar tissue. After having several episodes of these dibilitating cramps, another doctor said that I am still having my monthly and it is still shedding but because of the scar tissue, it has nowhere to go. It has even caused PID and had to take medication for that. The second doctor did an in office procedure where she used the two sticks they use to break your water during labor and poked two holes to let it drain (and that hurt even worse). She said it was a temporary fix and although I still get periodic monthlies my cramps have not been as bad. The problem however is that it is taking awhile for it to drain.....If anyone has another procedure that helps this condition please let me know.....I just hate having to go through this.

I'm so sorry you've joined the list of people who are having these problems.

I've been to Mayo and they confirm pretty much what you are experiencing. Mayo doctors have given me a couple options. The first option and the one we chose because it is least invasive is that I am not on a relatively high dose of progresterone daily. The goal of this is to STOP me from getting periods. Their theory is that if we can stop the period, the monthly pain should eventually go away. I've started but have not yet been through another period to know how it is working. The pain I get during that week every month, I refer to as "The Death Pain." (I'd almost rather be dead than feel it.)
The progesterone has its own series of side effects (PMS like symptoms) but the doctors have tried to reassure me that my body should get accustomed to it. I am not nearly 2 weeks into taking the pills and I'm having some "normal-like" days.

Another option is to have a hysterectomy... thereby getting rid of the problem all together... but potentially causing other issues.

It's sad that this is happening to so many of us. I hope others find their way to this site before deciding to choose an ablation.

Lisa

I had the ablation surgery about 6-7 years ago to stop heavy bleeding. It worked great. I only spot once or twice a year ever since. Thought it was the best thing I'd ever done. But starting about 4-5 years ago, about once or twice a year I got what I thought was horrible cramps. I just assumed it was something I had to live with. I mentioned it in passing to my gynecologist. I had no idea what was coming. For the past year or so, about every 2-3 months I get debilitating cramps in my lower left abdomen and back. They radiate down the front of my left leg and are so extreme, for a moment I feel as if I'm going to get sick or pass out. Last week it hit me in rush-hour traffic and I didn't know if I was going to make it for a second or two! They wake me from a dead sleep in the middle of the night, and ibuprofen and Midol (combined!!) don't touch the pain. I've made an appointment to discuss with my doctor. Since I am almost 50 years old, I'm sure hysterectomy is the next step. All I know is this pain is unbearable and, at this point, I'll take the hysterectomy.