I am 20 weeks pregnant and have a bad cold. I am coughing constantly - sometimes so bad that I vomit. Is the straining from the coughing hurting the baby?

Coughs and colds are pretty common, and why not happen while you are pregnant as well. You just have to watch it that the simple cold progresses into some more serious condition, you wouldn’t want to pass the stress onto your baby, wouldn’t you? So the right therapy should be of help, but also there are some medications that you should avoid in pregnancy, you talk to your doctor about what you should take in such condition. If there is a way to avoid medications, there are a few tips I could give you, like drinking much liquid which would help thinning the secretions and therefore the urge for coughing would be lessened, if you have the nasal stuffiness, you buy the saline drops to keep the nose clean, also taking hot baths should also have the same effect. At nights, while sleeping, you should put a few pillows under your head and back, so that you lie in half-sitting position. This way, you prevent yourself from coughing.
I believe that coughing will not affect your baby, but you try to make the cold go away as soon as possible.