I've had an ongoing problem for about a year now, been to the doctor a few times but it hasn't really gotten me anywhere. It has generally happened once every two weeks on average, that I will wake up in the middle of the night (any time really, from 2am through till morning) with very extreme abdominal pain, which feels like strong pressure in my abdomen above my belly button. This can then go one of two ways - half of the time the pain suddenly disappears after a short time, around 15 minutes, and I mean very suddenly, one moment I'm in agony and the next I'm fine, or the other half of the time the pain will subside more gradually and seem to transfer into lower back pain on the right hand side, which is less extreme but still very difficult to put up with, and tends to last 24 - 48 hours. There are no symptoms aside from pain - no vomitting, no bowel movements. I have vomited on a couple of occasions but that was because I was really forcing myself to see if it would help - it made little difference. The upshot is that it has been having a big impact on my life - at best I end up missing most of a night's sleep and at worst I end up spending a couple of days completely incapacitated as the pain makes it difficult to concentrate on anything else.

The first time it happened I went to an emergency doctor who suggested gall stones, but when I went to my own doctor he ruled that out, I later went for an ultra sound to be sure and that was all clear. I also had a number of blood tests for H Pylori and various other things, all of which showed all clear. I did however have one blood test which showed heightened liver enzymes and the doctor informed me they were in line with someone who was an alcoholic - and I am someone who drinks far less than the average person ( limited to special occasions, maybe once per month at most) - a later test after 3 months of no alcohol whatsoever showed this was back to normal, and I'm not convinced there wasn't just a mistake with the first test anyway.

So with none of the tests showing anything I was diagnosed with GORD, and was first given Omeprazole to take daily, then when this didn't work I was given stronger Lansoprazole. Over time, the frequency of my attacks did seem to deteriorate (though not the severity), and eventually the doctor took me off the pills. There was little or no change in the entire time - I was getting these attacks about once every two weeks at first and this stretched to once every three weeks over time, and whether I was taking pills or not didn't seem to change anything, nor did diet because I started taking a journal of what i'd eaten on days when I had attacks and there was no pattern whatsoever.

Then a few months ago I moved to a different city for a new job. I don't think I changed diet and there's nothing I can pin down that's changed about my lifestyle, but from the time I moved I went about 6 weeks without an attack and I thought I was in the clear. But I did eventually have an attack, and I've had 2 more since then, still a much lower frequency than previously. I've noticed a connection this time - all of these attacks have come during the night when the day before I had been to restaurants for dinner, and specifically have had ice cream for desert. These are the only times I've had ice cream since moving too, so there seems to be 100% correlation (though I know for a fact that last year, when I was getting attacks every two weeks, there was no correlation to ice cream or any other specific food - it could have been dairy related as I'd rarely go a day without milk in some form, but then how come I haven't had attacks on other days in my new home?)

So the most recent attack happened just now (its 6am here, I woke up in pain at 5 but the pain disappeared by 5.30) - this confirms my ice cream suspicions and I'm definitely going to avoid it permanently from now on, so we shall see if that stops it happening completely now. A bit of googling led me here and I just thought I'd make a post to see if any of this sounded familiar to anyone.

hi!!! i dont think its GORD for which you took antacid tablets...there is more possibility of intestinal worms,which can cause coliky pain in abdomen when there is heavy infestation...get your stool test done,n even its negative one should take one tablet of albendazole every 6 month...take care

When I had intestinal worms.. I had pain during day time, specially after eating heavy meal (meat, rice..) I got on diet with soft food: mash potatoes, yogurt, apple sauce..

This did not help me and I had Psyllium Husk to clean my intestine. After 3 days pain went away.

Now I do have paint only at night time, because I can not digest protein... I just bought enzymes for it. I like to study about health from the book: Americas #1 Guide to Natural Health "Prescription for Nutritional Healing" by Phyllis Balch, James Balch. Good luck to you. Let me know what you found out.

This sounds like the same routine I've been going through for over a year now - waking up with horrible stomach pain and back ache every few weeks.  I've been to the emergency room four times, have had all sorts of tests and seen a specialist who took a look into my stomach via my throat.  His diagnosis was that there was "a little bit of acid reflux" and prescribed me Nexium and told me to take it for the rest of my life.  I hate the sound of taking any type of medication indefinitely so I must admit that I haven't been strict about taking one every day.  I have tried to establish foods that trigger this event and think ice cream is one, scotch in unfortunately another and greasy food.  These things are pretty easy to isolate as 'bad' things but I wonder why it doesn't happen every time I eat ice cream or have a drink?  I think the solution is to really focus on my diet.  I've heard about a high alkaline low acid diet that sounds . . . healthy.  Anyone have any opinions on this one way or another?  Good luck my fellow stomach rot, web-search-in-the-middle-of-the-night, sufferers, good luck. 

This is so familiar to me- from the raised liver enzymes to being woken in the middle of the night with extreme abdominal pain- mine is localised to the left side- bloods so far have shown nothing... Did you ever get a resolution?