I have had extreme pain in my lower back on the right side at around the L1 L2 level since October of last year (5 months ago) I have been told I have a degenerated bulging disk at the L4 L5 level, but that somehow does not seem to be where it hurts. Last week I had a urine test and it came up positive for a UTI, I have been on Macrobid for 4 days, although I vomit after taking it, my doctor insists I stay on it the 7 day course. I am beginning to feel less and less l8ike even bothering to get out of bed in the morning, I can not even do simple tasks like laundry for my children as it requires going up and down stairs, which is so painful it makes me cry. The pain in my back seems to be intensifying day by day, I can only compare it to back labor, for anyone who has had it to relate to. I have pain meds (vicopeofin 7.5/200) They do not even begin to remove the pain, they almost take the edge off so I can walk semi upright, but I am in agony for the majority of the time.
Does anyone out there have any clue what this could be? I get the impression my doctor thinks I am exagerating, although I would beg to differ. The pain is so severe that simple light palpation of the area reduces me to tears. I also have the odd symptom of waking every night completely numb from my waiste down, when I change position I will feel the pins and needles sensation as the feeling returns! This scares me to death! It has been happening since October as well, mostly every single night while I sleep.
Someone please HELP me! I am at the end of my rope!

Michelle

*The pain medication I am taking is Vicoprofin 7.5/200*
I have had an MRI which revealed the disk trouble, and an "incidental" cyst on my kidney. It is called incidental because it was not what they were looking for or at, but it was detected. I had a CT scan this morning to take a closer look at my kidneys, as my doctor suspects kidney stones.
However, this does not explain the numbness, and I am not sure if it would explain the hypersensitivity to palpation in the area either.
PLEASE! HELP!

The pain is obviously affecting your quality of life an awful lot. Nobody should have to go through that without as much as a diagnosis! And just because you know you have back issues, plus back pain or kidney pain can be hard to tell apart, doesn't mean you don't have kidney issues as well as back issues. Could you see a urologist or something, and specifically ask about the possibility that there is something wrong with your kidneys, without mentioning the back pain? 

If your doctor thinks you're exaggerating even though you say you can't even stand up straight most of the time, that's probably a sign to get a new doctor too. 

I had lower back surgery on September 17, 2009. The doctor did a laminectomy and discectomy of my L2-L3 and L3-L4. I was in no pain what so ever until October 12, 2009. On Oct. 12 I started with extreme muscle spasms in my lower back which then caused a full body spasm. I called the doctor and all they could tell me to do is to take Ibuprofen and put either heat or ice on which ever takes the pain away. On the 13th I could not stand the pain anymore and an ambulance was called for me. I spent about 3 hours until I was admitted in the hospital that did the surgery. My surgeon could not believe the pain I was in and ordered another MRI and also a whole lot of pain meds. I do not remember anything after that until the 18th in the evening. According to my parents and boyfriend I was still in alot of agony and they too could not stand to see me like this. It took my mother to demand no more morphine in order for me to so called "wake up" even though I was awake the whole time just didn't know what was going on. The surgeon has no idea to this day what is going on and he has tested my kidneys and everything there is fine. I would like anyones help in detemining the cause of this pain. I am still in alot of pain especially when I am idle for more that 5 minutes. If I sit or lay down for more than 5 minutes whenever I make a move my body goes into the spasms. When I get up and start walking I seem to loosen up. I still have pain but it is bearable while standing or walking. Please anyone help me find a source so I can take care of this problem

You may need to ask for a second opinion or another doctor perhaps,

I also have the pain as yours but not so severe. Unbearable sharp pain but manageable after rubbing my back with equate medicated rub or vicks vaporub. I applied it 30 minutes before going to bed.

Just a temporary medication esp. at night but I need it to get some sleep. It does help me temporarily.

Again, get a second, third opinion-.

Ask for 5 days of prednisone, 50 mg

Sounds like it could be endometriosis. You should look it up and see if you have any other symptoms that could be related. I'm dealing with the same thing. The pain is just terrible. I pray that you get some relief.

I am having this severe pain as you describe and my doctor put me on mussel relaxers and arthritis meds. Not even touching the pain. Please, tell me what you have found out. Can't take the pain any more.