I know that fecal incontinence is the inability to control bowels. I have this problem, because when I feel the urge to have a bowel movement, I am not being able to hold it. I am trying to hold it until I can get to a toilet, but it is hard. I feel terrible because of this, and want to hear what could be cause for this problem.

It is true all people could be diagnosed with fecal incontinence, children as well as adults. Fecal incontinence is more common in women than in men and more common in older people. However, it is not a normal part of aging as someone might think. Loss of bowel control can be devastating, and people who have fecal incontinence may feel ashamed, embarrassed, or humiliated. Some patients even do not want to leave the house out of fear they might have an accident in public. The social isolation is unfortunate but may be reduced because treatment can improve bowel control. Fecal incontinence can be caused by injury to one or both of the ring-like muscles at the end of the rectum. These muscles are called the anal internal and external sphincters. The sphincters keep stool inside, so when damaged, the muscles are not strong enough for this. That is why the stool can leak out, which is the main problem in fecal incontinence. In women, the damage often happens when giving birth, where the risk of injury is greatest if the doctor uses forceps. It is commonly used to help deliver the baby or does an episiotomy, which is a cut in the vaginal area. Hemorrhoid surgery can damage the sphincters as well and cause problem of fecal incontinence.