I have a cousin who is recommended to have hemorrhoidectomy. I understand he has problems that need to be evaluated, but I am still afraid for him. I have heard for cases where hemorrhoidectomy caused further problems in patients. That is why I would like to hear what happens after this procedure. In addition, I would like to know how effective hemorrhoidectomy is, would it be the best way to treat his hemorrhoids.

It is true that some patients after having hemorrhoidectomy, might have some trouble urinating. It happens because the pain makes it difficult to relax and allow urine to flow. Moreover, the anal sphincter might be damaged during surgery, which can lead to pain and fecal incontinence. Fecal incontinence is the inability to control patient’s bowels, which can lead to the involuntary release of feces or gas. Pain is the most common complaint after hemorrhoidectomy, especially during bowel movements. Pain medications, such as Tylenol, Advil or Motrin, can help provide pain relief. Soaking in a warm bath might also help reduce pain after hemorrhoidectomy is done. Taking stool softeners can make it easier to move bowels, which helps prevent straining and constipation after this procedure. Straining to have a bowel movement can lead to a recurrence of hemorrhoids, which is definitely something that nobody wants to experience. This surgery known as hemmorhoidectomy is effective in most cases, but it is important to continue eating a high-fiber diet, to maintain good hygiene, and to avoid becoming constipated, to prevent new hemorrhoids to form.