This post is an extension of the

Smelly yellowish-white chunks stuck in throat thread.

Please continue posting within this thread.

Woo hoo! First to post on part 2 on this God inflicted condition. I've have these tonsillolith for well over 8 years and I'm 30 now. I really didn't have a clue what they where growing up, just figured that it was left over food and bacteria that get trapped in the crevices of my tonsils. I was not too overly concerned about them because they appeared once in a while and where fairly easy to remove (albeit the occasional choke your brain out sensitive gag reflex). Just recently the curiosity got to me because my wife started to get them after our first child was born and she is repulsed about acrid stuff coming out of her mouth and decided to find out what in the world are these stinky matter is. Found a lot of info here as well as other web sites and my guesses are similar and yes most doctors do not know about them because a) they are non life threading or b) No need for a cure. To me they are a part of who we are and we can’t really stop it just like how arm pits stick or farting (It’s gross but it happens). I’m just glade to know I’m not alone with it .

I'm 36 and single. I'm really glad I came across this site. I can now put a name to it otherwise known as tonsil stones. They gross me out. I wonder if someone would notice when kissing me. Great, that's all I'd need. Who knew this was so common to have? What's the purpose of having tonsils anyways? Anyone know? Yes.... I could look it up and find out. thanx so much everyone for sharing your experiences regarding this ''matter'' i.e. gross, stinky, embarassing, worrisome, pain in the ass

I use a waterpik jet and put inside of my tonsils and flush these babies out..Im about 90% sure that these things are formed mostly by post nasal drip. Annoying and embarrassing....

A couple days ago I woke up with a sore throat and noticed that my right tonsil was kind of white. I just thought it was the beginning of a cold. But for some reason today, I looked at it again and decided to try to touch it. And it popped right off. I recognized what it was (but didn't know the medical term) because I have had them before over the years -- I just thought they were chunks of food (pasta) that had somehow gotten stuck in my throat. On a whim I decided to Google and see if I could find out more about it and found out they have a name. Luckily I get them very, very infrequently so they don't bother me much. And my throat no longer hurts! :-)

Hah its funny how you think you're alone with having some abnormalities but then you remember you're human so you decide to google it and find out its common...one came up today in my gym but this time i didn't cough or gag, just came up normally...before spitting it i immediately recognized what it was from few months ago and i spit it into my palm...i then squished it in an attempt to learn something from it and it was a weird layered pattern, like a little brain, then reluctantly i had to smell it and threw it away...got to love how humans are made

I've had these since i was about 10 or something, i can remember the first time one dislodged, i was at primary school and i had to run to the sink to spit it out, i used to get them all the time back then. I'm 23 now and i still get them, but not as much as i used to and they aren't big ones either, quite tiny. I was at a loss as to what they were until i was looking through a magazine and someone wrote in about the problem, that's when i found out what they were, well the dr didn't give an actual name, he just said what they were, this was a couple of years ago. But i had no idea they were so common until i googled "white stuff stuck in my throat" ! lol and this place popped up. I just scrape them out from that wee hole at the back of my mouth/throat (tonsil?) with my nail or sometimes if i cough violently they come loose in my mouth or when i brush my tongue they seem to come loose too (which usually means i have to brush my teeth and mouth all over again to get rid of the smell from it being on my tongue!)

I don't think they cause bad breath though (ive told my fiance about it and he says i don't have bad breath, and he's not lying cos anytime i do have bad breath he tells me! lol) i think they might cause slight bad breath if they are poking out, but initially i don't think they are a main reason for bad breath.

wow great site, so happy to find this discussion and see so many others with the same problem, too bad Dr.'s havent come up with a simple and effective way to solve the problem. Sounds like some Dr.'s dont even know what the problem is, thats horrible.

I'm 35 and have noticed these for the past few years and only recently did I mention it to my wife and she knew exactly what they were... because she had her tonsils removed almost 10 years ago in an effort to reduce her asthma issues. she said having a tonsilectomy was very painful and isnt recommended for adults unless its for relief from a serious health condition like asthma or infection, etc.

I'm bummed out to see its not a simple tonsilectomy to get rid of these stinky foul smelling miniature brain shaped bacteria clumps coming from the back of my throat. they can make my breath smell so bad it really is embarassing. the funny thing is now I know why my dads breath smells so bad sometimes, I used to think maybe he had a dead tooth but it is surely the stechn of tonsilloliths, no doubt!

I guess I need to induce a regimen of mouthwashing and better rinsing. I do snore and wonder if this may increase the chance of tonsilloliths, probably as there seems to be a connection to people with post nasal drip, etc.

OMG, reading all the post has been so helpful. I have one right now. It's been about 3-4 days and the smell and irritation has been annoying me. I want it out. I've tried coughing it out, and even forcing myself to throw up. But it's still there. I get so frustrated just because I have to avoid talking too close to people. I take care of my tongue. I brush/clean it 2-3 times a day. I've always grown up believing it was food stuck back there. And I still believe it is because everytime I eat food and end up coughing or sneezing because it went in the wrong way, I get these. Dang things. I want it out. Maybe I'll try forcing it out like many of you have.

Thats too funny. I thought I was alone as well. I first noticed them about 5 yeas ago when I was 18. I got toncilitis really bad and it left pitts in my toncils. Ever since then every time I had a violent cough I would feel little things on my tounge. they were whitish/yellow in color and stunk so bad. Now every night and ever morning when I brush my teeth I sweep a finger through each toncil and that seems to dislodge them. It's gross but it works.

Sean

Whew! I thought I would never find out what the heck the stink balls were. My twin brother and I both get them every once and a while. When I first smelled it I thought what on earth died in my mouth. I was too embarrassed to mention it to anyone. I asked a doctor once but didnt get a satisfying answer. I noticed that they are sometime associated with soar throats, fever, colds or they simply just show up. I have very deep pockets in my tonsils so the stink balls really cake-up at times. I would mash my tonsils with my finger and squeeze it out but gag horribly. I also use Q-Tips or the end of a toothbrush and a small flashlight to see exactly where they are. I wish there were a way to rid it for good. Hopefully, the waterpik will assist. I thank you all for helping me to understand what it is.

Just so all of you know.... I can almost promise you that if you stop drinking milk the white stinky balls will stop building up. The small slits in the back of your throat seem to hold the milk you drink (or anything you drink with milk in it like cream) and the milk rots in there. I quit drinking milk for years because I hated getting these so much. Recently I heard of a lazer surgery where they can actually remove the slits which would resolve this issue as well as reduce the chances of you getting sick. My main problem now is finding a doctor that can actually do this in my area. Anyone else hear about this? By the way I never got the white stinky things again after I quit drinking milk or milk products.

I've also been getting these dreaded little things for years. I mentioned to my doctor but she looked at me like I was mad. Now when I start to feel one when I swallow I try to gag it up while brushing my teeth. It's disgusting but once I start the gagging motion several tiny ones come up as well. I HATE them so much but feel great once they're out......well until next time that is :-(

I've always had an excellent oral health regime and some say I go over board with the mouth wash but these awful smelling things have made me so paranoid that my breath is constantly disgusting! I brush twice sometimes three times a day, gargle, floss, and I'm always chewing sugar free gum but still feel that people around me can smell it. It's an awful condition but we're only human and at least we know there are so many more people out there with the same problem.

I am normal after all!!

:-P

Often got this when I am stressed. I get them while I am brushing my teeth and after cleaning my tongue. Especially when I gag. It smells horrible and I get goosebumps. OOH i can still smell it now even if it didnt occur to me these past few months. WHen I drop the red meat, they incidentally stopped. Kindda miss them BUT NO LOL I take that back.

I don't drink milk and eat very little cheese and still get them, so for me - milk is not the cause.