If you want fast healing the best thing is not to put any weight on the foot. If you have to get around, always use your heal only to walk otherwise, you are going to take a very long time to heal.

hi i have had bunion surgery hallux valgus surgery ,,,i was 3 weeks in bandage and boot ...then another 6 weeks in pot and boot ...i suffered quite a lot of pain the first week then once i went in cast it got easier ..i am really wanting to get going again so i can return back to gym and also back to work the only problem i have now is swelling it just wont go down unless im layed doing nothing ..can anybody give me any advice on what i can do to help this ...all i will say is never again the recovery is way to long ...had operation 27th april 2012 thanks claire

I am 25 and next week is my surgery but i am concerned about taking too much time off,people say almost 2months recovery and i don't like the sound of that help!!!!

I had my both feet done 2 weeks ago. It is a bit of uncomfortable and not Singapore much of pain. take good care and avoid walking eventhough you can walk on right on second day with the recop shoes. I am still with the dressing from the surgery. Will see doctor in 2 days and think Will be remove by then.

right foot bunion op toe and second toe k wire.7 weeks since op k wire removed 14 days ago.first 3 days after op bearable with pain meds.first 2 weeks foot elevated only trips to bathroom allowed.no infection and scarring not too bad.my toes seen to have huge gaps but i beleive this is done to stop the big toe returning to the same position.i was a size uk 6now wearing my husbands uk8 trainer cannot get my shoes on.2nd toe is frozen but each day gets better.i think it takes 3 or 4 months to really judge the results.ice packs are a pain but really help.i dont regret having the op but if used to being active the recovery can be daunting.my other foot can wait for a year or so .

I know for a fact that you arent supposed to have the bunionectomy until you are 21+ years old because the bone on the toe is still growing and complications are more than likely to occur bceause if surgery is performed before that age.

You are quite correct, everyone keeps saying they are cause by high heels and tight shoes. My orthopedic surgeon also told me it was genetic. I have never worn high heels or tight shoes. Thanks for the clarification to the people.

Hi

I'm 50 and don't know why I've waited to so long to have this done..!  I need both feet done but am going to have my left one done first (mostly because I have an automatic car and therefore can drive quicker after surgery...!).  I'm not particularly nervous about the op but I am apprehensive about the recovery process.  I hate sitting around doing nothing so it will kill me not being able to move around as and when I want.  I have been told by my surgeon that I will be on crutches for two weeks and then the cast will be changed to a walking plaster.  I'm booked in for the 21 June so will report back afterwards to let you all know how it went. Julia :)

Gee, seeing what others are saying abt bunion surgery makes me feel so lucky to havr found this great doctor in Frisco texas.  I had bunion and hammertoe surgery yesterday, friday April 5, am in a boot feeling zero pain bc he puts anesthesia in your foot post surgery, he said today which is Saturday te 6th it will wear off and I should use prescribed pain med, it is 7:30 pm still no pain.  I have followed his instructions of elevating foot, putting ice pack on the surgery site once every hour for 15 or so mins. And only walking 5 mins an hour.  I am to walk normally in two days, Monday and see him thurs. for dressing change but can go to work saturday one week post op if I don't walk far, which i won't cause i sit at my job ( manicurist) the next thurs. (2wks pst op) i get out of boot into a flat shoe for one mth.  But I can walk as of next week as long as I don't overdo.   He's great this doctor, Dr. robert taylor, Frisco Tx....i found him after meeting two women who just had surgery and were walking great in boot one week out at and I stopped and asked abt the surgery.

Everyone is different and handle pain differently.  Any surgery there is some level of discomfort thus in a few days I was fine or went back to work in one week...yea ok.  I had shoulder surgery and oh many stated they were back at work in a few days to a week...BOLOGNIE!!! Lets stop sugar coating it...If you are scheduled for the  surgery you will expereince discomfort now to what extent I cannot predict but there will be some pain.  Reality they are cutting skin and bone please be honest with yourself.  My surgery is schedule in June and if the recovery is 6 weeks then I'm going to be at home taking that time to recover. Will it be hard to sit still? Yes! What is the rush to be superhero, proving a point, pain points and say "Oh I was up and walking around in 4 hours" I went back to work as soon as the dr closed me up o.O Really.  As the date approach...pray, relax and recover.  Peace

Im 25 and getting bunion surgery in a few weeks. My dr says hes going to put a steel rod in my bone because my foot was so flat my foot bones werent working together but seperately. And besides shaving down my bunion hes also going to reconstruct my ligament because its like a worn out rubberband! Has anyone else got this done or am i the only severe case? And if the recovery time is twice as long??

I had surgery oct 33 and this is December 2. Still in the boot and on crutches. Can put a little weight on my heal (20% of total body weight). Worried about how purple it is when I have it down. Also, it seems to swell if I am up much at all. Haven't even tried any shoe other than the walking boot.

Where do you live? Who was your doctor? And did you use your podiatrist or a orthopedic Surgeon?