I keep hearing about the underwater dolphin kick. It seems simple to me but then again every other action in swimming did when the great swimmers were performing them. I think that the most important thing is to know what muscles to use to move through the water in that fashion? Is underwater dolphin kick really that important if you want to swim fast?

If you pay attention to the fast swims at the World Champs you can see that the swimmers were doing underwater dolphin kicks. They were doing it at the start of a race and after each turn. Can you benefit from it? Of course you can. It can be your fastest way of moving through the water. That is the reason you should try to master it. If you manage to connect your lower back to the kick, instead of just kicking from the thighs (or knees), you'll have more of your body involved in the entire action. You may experiment with separating your hands, especially if you are massive in the chest and shoulder area. You may find that you will get more power from the kick if you separate your hands.