Hello, i am 24 and have been having an abdominal muscle pain only in the morning when i wake up. sometimes waking me up starting at 2am! urinating sometimes relieves the pain slightly, bowel movements dont seem to help or hinder the pain, it feels like i have been flexing my abs all night in my sleep. is this possible? i am not pregnate, i am not sick in any other way. just this annoying muscle pain in the morning. . i did have a child 4 years ago, however the pain has not been affecting me that long. (only about a year or so) any and all comments or suggestions are GREATLY apprieciated.. i will try anything! thank you :-)

I've been having the same problems, in the morning when I sleep on my stomach. I've always been able to sleep on my stomach until about last summer. It's been getting worse as time went by to where it would wake me up in the middle of the night. And whenever I pee it relieves it a little but it still hurts after. So I went to my doc and he said that I could possibly have ulcers, so he gave me this medicine that shuts off the acid to my stomach, and he also had a UGI test ran on me and they said it looked like I didn't have ulcers. But I've continued taking the meds and they've been working so yeah sounds I lot like what I was going through.... so maybe goin to your doc will be a good idea... by the way I'm 17 and I've never been pregnant, so maybe it's the same thing that was wrong with me or maybe different but going to the doc is good. Hope I helped

I am 23 have the same issue, in addition I have had left chest pain only when I lay on my stomach and in the mornings.  Have either of you found a definite cause/cure for the abdominal pain? Thanks

I know you posted this a long time ago but I am 25 and having the exact same problem and I'm looking for answers! Did you ever find out what was wrong?

It sounds to me like you need a new mattress. How old is your mattress? Does it have areas where it is concave? I only say this bc it happened to me on vacation and when I got back to my bed I felt better. It happened a few years ago and we got a new bed.

I'm on this site looking for answers as to why I get these horrible stomach pains and cramps.. I am 23, a year and a half ago I went to the ER for the pain, which at that time was so bad that they didn't have an answer and ended up running test after test and finally removing my gallbladder which was so inflamed, when they removed it from my body it exploded in the surgeons hands. There was no reason for it to be inflamed, I had never had gal stones or anything like that. The doctors assumed my pain would go away, but it hasn't. I wake up every morning feeling tight and uncomfortable in my belly. I lost my appitite all together now, which only makes the pain worse because I go the whole day without eating. Usually, my pain is stabbing and pricing in my right side, but when it isn't quite that painful it usually starts feeling like BAD stomach muscle spasms or something that feel like they yank through to my back muscles. I wish I had help, the different doctors and tests I've gone to all chalk this up to nothing. The only thing I can add to the info is that it feels worse when I am super stressed out. Does anyone have any ideas?

I truly hope you all find out what's going on with yourselves, no one should go through daily pain and still have no idea why.. it's torture. Best of luck, sending you girls my love. 

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

Hi, seems like this forum will get good answers soon. I have the same issue. Waking up, feeling like I've done abdominal exercises. It doesn't matter if I sleep on my side either! My mattress is old but probably is not the cause because I have been used to sleeping on old mattresses since a young age. I can't sleep on my back because I seem to have sciatic nerve pain. I have epilepsy and I am on keppra and on a progesterone called norethindrone. I am in the process of getting off both meds but I know keppra can affect the liver as well as much more and norethindrone affects the uterus. Doctors will probably tell me it's nothing but should I still check it out? Could my meds be the cause? I have also been feeling faint when taking my dog out to potty and I get hot flashes

I have the same issues and have been searching for so long for answers. I'm 27 and have had this happening since I was in high school. A few hours after I'm asleep, I'm woken up by a pain in by abs that feels like someone used them as a punching bag, my stomach never hurts, just the muscles themselves. I've had a colonoscopy done and nothing came back weird. I've told my doctor several times and he never takes it seriously, he has prescribed me muscle relaxers for sleeping and they worked but I hated the side effects of them. Since it is so sporadic, I'm having trouble figuring out what triggers the abdominal pain. I will have it for days/weeks in a row, then won't have it happen for a couple months, then it begins again. It seems to feels better if I get up and walk and go pee, or if I inhale and push out my stomach muscles. But it always comes back as soon as I begin relaxing and falling asleep again. The only things that makes it go away while sleeping, is sleeping sitting up with my back propped up on the wall or pillows. Has anyone ever had some kind of legit diagnoses of what could be causing it? Literally over a decade I've had this issue and I still am trying to figure it out!!

Me. Exactly. I wish I had amswes.

Nailed it. Me to the T with waking up so so sore. The only thing that takes it away is actually getting up and moving. Doesn't happen immediately but with some stretched, and some deep inhales allowing me to stretch my abdominal muscles, it tends to loosen up. I normally sleep at home in a chair in a more upright position but this week during vacation have slept in a seemingly awesome and comfortable bed. Only problem is it's great until I'm sleeping. It takes all I have to turn over and everything else to get up and move. Please, if anyone has had answers, fill us in!

I'm exactly the same as you apart from being older (56)! Mine started around 12-13 years ago. I've had a colonoscopy, and endoscopy and even had my gall bladder removed as they thought that was the cause. Imagine me leaving hospital after that thinking I would have no more pain, then finding out it hadn't made any difference whatsoever! :( The doctor prescribed me Amitriptyline which made me feel so drowsy during the day that I stopped taking it immediately. The last time I saw the doctor, she said it sounded muscular but it probably wouldn't be possible to find the cause of it. She doesn't have to live with it!!! I'd love to ***this post is edited by moderator *** *** posting of social network links, groups, invitations, or usernames is not allowed *** Please read our Terms of Use
Maybe we should all compare notes ie list any other medical problems we have that we think aren't related to this. You never know, there could be a common factor.

This is the first thread I have seen where the symptoms are identical to mine. I have had this problem off and on since I was a teenager. It appears to be sporadic. I wake up and my abdominal muscles feel a little sore but it is only painful when I take a deep breath. The pain is not excruciating but it is definitely annoying. My internist has not been able to pinpoint the problem. This is my theory. I have a very weak core area - never had great abs - ha! I think this is a contributing factor. When I lay down for an extended period of time (at night), I believe that gravity puts pressure/extra weight on my weak abdominal muscles, causing pain in the mornings. I think that is why the pain subsides and quickly goes away after I stand and am upright for a few minutes. I tend to experience the symptoms more when I oversleep (stay lying in bed longer than usual) or I am lying on a harder surface (sleeping bag on the floor or a different mattress other than my own). I have had a colonoscopy and everything looked good although I was told my colon is about a foot longer than the average colon. Perhaps there is a correlation between a longer colon and my morning abdominal pain??

Just out of curiosity, do you sleep on your side or on your back? I prefer to sleep on my side but when I'm awoken by the pain I find that if I turn onto my back it's not as bad. I only get an average of 6 hours sleep per night with it :(

This is the first time I have written in on the internet before. I lay every morning reading so much, but never felt compelled to reply. I am 30 years old female and I have this symptom on occasions too. I wanted to write in to suggest that perhaps, we are going through a socio/economic/stress fight or flight response and that perhaps an ache in the belly muscles far more represents what eastern medicine would recognize as fire energy. Bare with me here ladies. What if we are storing emotions and like T-Mobile or chronic neck pain, the blockages happen to be in our stomach 3rd chakra. Have you noticed your dreams? The subconscious is working through healing while you rest. Have you noticed your diet? Lack of healthy fats and oils? Did you check into other parts of your body? Notice what happens with deep breathing and tuning in...physician heal thyself. If all of western medicine says the same “never know” start knowing. Start trusting yourself and turning inward. Sit with yourself, and the symptoms will be noticed by you then released. Try it, works for me every time, although I have a firm meditation practice, it’s nowhere compared to some. If you’ve yet to try the calm app or perhaps a guided meditation even transcendental meditation...I dare you. You won’t look back. Pain will be dissassociated with an disidentified with in you, take a step back and look to see how you are in charge of letting repitive thoughts go...

Just realized the word TMJ was somehow corrected to read T-Mobile makes for a cute attempt subconscious reprogramming within the matrix. ;)