I ve had a problem for about a month with foul vaginal odor, mostly noticed after intercourse.I have gone to the Dr and she said I have a little discharge from my cervix.does this have to be a type of std or can this be an infection that can be treated/cured with a round of antibiotics

It could be both a std, “ordinary” infection but it could also be yeast infection. Yeast infection is not spread by sex nor is “the ordinary” infection. All of the infections are treated with antibiotics both std and urinary tract infection. Sometimes is even easier to clear std than urinary infection because infection of urinary tract with e.coli can be really annoying, persistent and chronic. Most of the std’s are cured with a one antibiotic round.

Yeast infection is treated with antifungal drugs you can get otc.

It would be best to wait for the results from your gyn.

What you described sounds like a bacterial infection. Normal, healthy vaginas have good bacteria that keep them clean. A clean, healthy vagina will have no bad odor. There is also bad bacteria found in the vagina, but that is normal too. Sometimes the bad bacteria will take over and create an infection. It will smell foul. The usual treatment is oral or vaginal antibiotics. The thing about antibiotics is that the more you take them, the more infections you become susceptible to, and they also cause other problems too. I've heard of alternative treatments, you could probably do a web search on alternative treatments for vaginal bacterial infections. Be careful though, not everything you read is going to be sound advice.

Hi there. Look, that unusual or bad vaginal odor happens from time to time to every lady. That doesn't have to mean that you don't take care of your body at all because even when you’re taking good care of your body and your vagina, you can experience unfamiliar smells, bad vagina odor that will bother you for sure. Maybe it is an infection, it is hard to tell, and you should definitely visit your gynecologist. Anyway, you should follow the next steps - practice a good hygiene, change your underwear every day, try some essential oils, and also - pour a cup of apple cider vinegar into a warm bath and soak for 20 minutes, because it is well known that vinegar may naturally reduce bacteria.Good luck. 

I had similar symptoms, but was loath to take a systemic, oral antibiotic to cure a localized bacterial infection. Let me just say I had the advantage of no worries about STDs b/c my hubby of 28 years and I have only been with each other, believe it or not. I'd had yeast infections, this was different--no itching, just that awful, wrong smell, especially after intercourse.
I started with a mild saline and vinegar solution i used as a douche. After a few days of no change, I bought some bedadine solution. A squirt of that in a (sorry) new ketchup-type bottle filled with water, then I'd basically stand on my head and fill 'er up! Then sit on the potty and let it drip out. Within a day or two there was a def. improvement, and w/in three days I was back to normal. Hope that helps.

Hey there, Ive experienced the same thing. Ive been told its bacteria vaginosis. Which is a bad bacteria in the vagina. Ive used half peroxide and half water in a douching bottle. I did it once a day for 7 days. It works great. It does come back about every 3 to 4 months which pisses me off but Ive tried everything else. Ive tried eating yogurt because they say that has good bacteria in it. It might help the health of my vagina but it doesnt help the odor. So Id suggest the peroxide mix. I hope it works well for you. If you find something better please let me know.

I cannot believe you people are using douches with vinagar, peroxide, etc!! The most common reason for such odor, especially after sex is a lost tampon, make sure you ask your doctor to check for this, they dont always think to, and if its deep enough/under a fold of skin it might not be easily visible! Doctors need to be reminde dof the SIMPLE solutions sometimes too!! Otherwise have tests done for vaginal bacteria, chalimida, etc!! What is with people treating their bodies with home remedies!! Please people!!!!!

Douches are not good for your body! They can definitely throw off your body's chemistry. I am glad that you posted information on this. Your vagina is not a kitchen floor! You can't just put chemicals in there to clean it...

Why post on a forum like this if you don't have anything helpful to put up??? And besides, ALL medical antibiotics and medicines and medical treatments are from a basis of HOME REMEDIES that have been evolved!!! And honestly, if you are willing to throw out natural home remedies and fully and blindly trust in pharmaceuticals, then I feel sorry for you, because you have no trust in your own judgment and you are willing to let people use you as a guinea pig. I have had nothing but bad experiences with traditional medications, and I'm not allergic to any of them which makes it even worse when a person has a bad experience. So why not try to be encouraging to people who want to try home remedies, because you have no idea what type of things they have gone through!!! And not everyone who has a vaginal problem has an std, or are silly enough to forget a tampon inside them. More people need to build up one another instead to degrading each other, thats what is wrong with a lot of people today, They are pessimists like you sound in your quote.

I soaked a tampon in Organic Apple Cider Vinegar, inserted for a couple of hours....now I put some in my bath every once in awhile.....cured! I am all for natural remedies! And my problem is solved.

I've actually put some peroxide into a douche and it worked the first time and every time after. I only get that foul odor after my period every couple of months but still. Also, your vagina actually naturally produces peroxide to fight vaginal bacteria sooooo putting back it is NOT the least bit harmful. Don't listen to anyone other than your doctor though. If you don't like their opinion, het a 2nd one from another trained physician.

I have been bothered by a terrible smell'down there' for about the past 3 to 4 weeks...I bought Vagisil wash and over- the - counter 'BV' suppositories, thinking I had a Bacteria Vaginitis issue...well, I had little to no luck with those products, and was getting more concerned. I 'd checked for a mistakenly- left- in tampon when this began, and found nothing. Last night, I went into this wrbsite to read more info. hoping for an answer, and I read a few people's comments about having found a forgotten tampon. I was so aggravated today with this oontinuing odor ( and brownish discharge) , I decided to check again...OMG! Very far into my vagina, I felt something...there was no string, but some kind of material..after a struggle, I managed to pull out the tampon...YUK!I certainly will make sure this never happens to me again...I had that in me for a month..absolutely disgusting! So relieved to have found the source of my problem. 

yep,i had this foul smell and brown discharge for a week,my partner and i were at our wits end,googling what it could be. i had had enough and low behold,after cutting my nails short,had a good feel(nearly made me faint) and suddenly felt a tampax string at the very top.god,i am 41yrs old with 3 kids,happens to us all!

I've had that foul odor, and I use tampons but how can you leave one inside and not feel it when having sex?

Your tangent is deficient on one point, professional medical doctors are now accepting the
Benificial properties of natural and organic remedies. They are finding that many of the old
REmedies once dismissed and scoffed at does have some merit, and with the cost and state of medicine these days, being aware of natural remedies is to everyones benefit. Don't be short sighted, and remember most medicines are synthetic copies of healing mixtures of, herbs and other natural cures. Research everything and do not blithely take the word of any ONE person or resource. Informed choices are best.