I am 28 years old and I have been having vaginal discharge with odor since I was 13 years old. It started happening one year after I started my period. I was not yet sexually active when this began. I have not been able to get any help with this problem and I have seen several different doctors in the past 15 years.

The discharge with odor has been a daily problem since it began. I have had to wear panty liners every day for 15 years. The color and smell of the discharge changes often, there are several different colors and smells I have experienced: one being the most common 'fishy' smell and the most abnormal one I have had is almost like the smell of ammonia. That one just began within the last few years since I had my tubes tied.
The first few years that I experienced the symptoms I was diagnosed with bacterial infections and yeast infections (even though there was no itching or burning). I was given antibiotics, yeast infection creams, and eventually Diflucan. None of these worked.
I went to a new doctor in 2002 when I moved to a different state. He did an exam and said there were no indications of infection and that he did not see anything that would cause me to have the discharge with odor. He went ahead and gave me antibiotics and advised me to try an over the counter cream for pH balance called Rephresh. Neither of these worked.

I am at a loss and I do not know what to do. I have had several more exams over the years, the most recent being 2 months ago. I just continue to be told that there is nothing visibly wrong with me and that I may just have to deal with this. I do wear cotton underwear and I do not use products that are scented or that contain perfume. I also shower daily and cleanse myself thoroughly.
I have been married for 8 years and my husband is beginning to get frustrated because we cannot be spontaneously intimate. I have to take a break to freshen up. It is so embarrassing and I am so ashamed.
I am ready to figure this out and move on.
If anyone could offer any help I would be so grateful.

Thanks and God bless!

drumchick i a 27 and i have been having the sae problem the last couple years. It is not on a daily basis but it happens frequently. At first it would occur right before my period then it would happen ore frequently. The discharge has a very strong embarrassing odor once it dries. I have been trying to figure out whats causing it as well. When I wear panty liners it does help sometimes but I want to know how I can prevent the odor all together. I know it is very annoying because I feel the same way. I am hoping that there will be some kind of cure soon.....

i am fourteen with the same problem.

I'm 21 with the same problem, hope they respond soon. 

Im fourteen too with the same problem:/ to be honest i just wear a tampon every single day when i know im going to be around people this is ruining my life i feel so unconfident and gross i feel bad for people who arenin my classes too so i keep tons and tons of body sprays which does somewhat help mask it ... And having to buy all them is expensive.

Chances are it's a hormonal fluctuation that is causing your pH to change.  Vaginal discharge is your body's way of keeping your vagina clean by neutralizing bad bacteria with good bacteria, both naturally occurring.  Discharge should be clear or close to clear in color.  If it is accompanied by an odor, it is because of a fluctuation in pH, generally an overproduction of bad bacteria.  Some simple at home remedies may help.  Try eating PLAIN yogurt (yes, it can taste gross, add a dash of cinnamon but DO NOT add sugar).  Your diet can play a huge role in smells/discharge.  I have found that if I eat more leafy greens and fresh fruits and veggies, that my discharge becomes lighter and my smell becomes more neutralized. When I eat higher amounts of sugar (or alcohol), I notice that my body smells/colors change (vaginal, urine, etc).  Try to avoid using a tampons to mask the odor.  Avoid using scented soaps and sprays down there (there are pH balanced soaps out there).  Do not douche.  You could try adding some apple cider vinegar or baking soda to your bath water.  Both are acidic and likely to help rebalance your vaginal pH. Try drinking pure cranberry juice. Try RePhresh vaginal gel. I did notice that after I was treated for a thyroid condition and after I started birth control pills, that I stopped getting yeast infections. Sometimes, a seemingly unrelated medical condition could be the cause.  Pay attention to your body...maybe try keeping a journal and document things in your diet (even stress can impact your pH) and how your body felt/smelled that day...you may be able to see a pattern after a while.

Good luck!

Same issue always told nothing or bv medicine takes away than comes have husband of 11 years always embarrassed and feel different

I have had this issue for years and it all started after taking birth control pills and I thought stopping birth control pills would help but it never did and I started to take a garlic supplement and cinnamon supplements together daily and white discharge and smell is completely gone and husband says I taste great now to

Hello my daughter has the same problem. hysterectomy did not help. Is your problem still gone? If so how much garlic and cinnamon? Thank you for your input.

I am replying even though in an aware it is a very old thread just in case someone comes across it in desperation. The condition is called trimethylaminuria. It is mainly characterized by a fishy smell. For some reason many don't know about this but if you look it up there is information. Unfortunately to my knowledge there is no cure but it can be managed. Good luck to anyone that is stressing.